• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Not sure if this is the right area for this but figured I might get the best advice from here. I've cojsidered joining the military since I started high school and even nearly went to the air force academy after I graduated but didn't because my parents were against it. I went to Texas a&m for a few years but haven't finished my degree as I took a break for various reasons. Anyway, I've been considering the military again and was wondering if most of you were happy with your choice to serve. Also, would you recommend a specific branch over another and why? I've read stuff and talked to recruiters in the past but want a different viewpoint

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Have worked as a contractor for the military for a while, but not IN the military. From my opinion and those a have talked to that are active, the Air Force is number 1 choice because they take care of their people more. The Navy would be the second choice. Army or Marines last choice.

Some have argued Army is better than Navy, but Navy is (from what I understand) deployed for less time when they are deployed. They also typically do 6 months to sea and 6 months home. When not in wartime conditions, Army does not deploy as frequently, but that has been a while.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Kind of a double edged sword. On the one hand, I sincerely regret the fact that I was not mature enough at a relevant age to have considered serving our country in such a noble capacity and it bothers me to this day. On the other hand (I'll try to not get too political here), I do not agree with how our military has been used over at least the last 10 years and especially with recent changes to pay, benefits, etc. As a result I would probably try very hard to dissuade my son from joining were he of similar age and mindframe.

Thank you for giving it serious consideration and good luck in your decision.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Did nearly 25 years in the USAF, it was a big adventure but there is a downside to everything.

Personally, I couldn't have picked a better avenue to extract my cranium out of my fourth point of contact (i.e. pull my head out my ass) and getting on a productive path in life. In 1981 I barely finished high school, and was destined to work at grocery stores my entire life. After joining the military I not only went and got a bachelors degree (and a commission), but went on to complete to graduate degrees.

I am biased but I would recommend the Air Force above all, the suck factor is a lot lower and more jobs in it have applicability in the civilian world. If you're hardcore, then consider the Marines or Army (but only if you go on to be airborne, SF, Ranger or something similarly elite). I grew up in a Navy town and while ships are cool, six months at sea on one is not my cup of tea.

Good luck with your decision, if you did get accepted into the USAFA than you should have no problems getting on active duty as long as you've kept your nose clean in the mean time!

Oh, and if you have specific questions, feel free to ask or PM me. I served both as enlisted and as an officer, and had several "joint" (multiservice) assignments as well as international/coalition experience (NATO, SFOR, ISAF, etc).

Cheers! M2

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Your parents sound like smart people. Did you ask them why? They know you a lot better than you know yourself so it would be good for you to sit down with them and listen to them as they lay it out. You also got into A&M so your not dumb. Did you go into the core of cadets? If not why not? Since you are over 18 I would suggest you finish your college and get a degree before enlisting. It's better to go in as an officer. Finally what physical condition are you in? Can you run with a pack and do required chores? A physical disability, even a small one can greatly impact training. No answers needed. Just some things to think about.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I graduated high school in 2006 right in the height of the whole operation Iraqi freedom which is what made my parents decide against it. Before that they had been okay with the idea. I know it would be a good idea to finish my degree, I just have had trouble deciding what I really want to do or what degree to pursue. I started as aerospace engineering but decided it wasn't for me and haven't yet decided on something else. I looked at doing the corps but decided I didn't have the time to commit to that and a 21 hour semester aerospace course load.
    Physically, I could stand to lose a few pounds that I put on recently, but I played sports in high school, worked backcountry trail in alaska, and ran sled dogs in northern Alaska since leaving college. If I do decide to join, it won't be til the end of summer as I'm currently caring for my grandfather who just had a stroke. I've started working on my pullups, situps, and running in the mean time and feel I should be just fine as I can already exceed some of the standards I've looked up. Thanks for the feedback thus far.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not a decision to be made lightly. And more to think about than I care to post from my phone. Some love it, some never quite click, and some are indifferent. Most will recommend the service they entered because they had a positive overall experience. I would say to look at what you enjoy, find the service which has more in common and see what they have to offer. I would recommend getting a technical MOS, many of the jobs don't translate as well into the civilian workforce.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm ex-AF. Joined right out of high school. I can't imagine a better way to kick off your life... I learned a lot, grew up a lot, and had a good time. In choosing a branch, I'd go for AF or Navy. As M2 said, the suck factor is WAY less than the Army. From some of my fiends in the Army, I gather that you're a grunt first and your job(MOS) second. It's kind of the opposite in the AF.

Have you ever heard the term service before self? Basically when you sign up for a term of service in any branch, you need to be able to put that first. Your service comes before your family, your needs and desires, and even personal beliefs. If you can't commit to that for your term of service, then don't do it. For me, always keeping service before self was the hardest part. Everything else was a blast.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    I was Air Force and wouldn't trade it for anything--learned a lot about life. If you do go Air Force it is a 4 year enlistment where the Army is 2 years (at least it used to be, not sure about now)

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    I was in the army. just got out about two years ago. I got the great luck of getting real messed up unit. (lots of BS) Had I been in a different unit from the start, I would probaly still be in the army, but I did learn a lot and it gave me a chance to grow up a little. but what ever you ultimately want to do with yourself after the military, should pretty much dictate which branch you end up in. GL with your decision

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I was Army and loved it. I would still be in if i wasnt medically retired. If you decide to go in choose your branch by what you want to do carrerwise first then perks.

A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    Did 5 years active duty (enlisted) USAF and regret not staying in for another 15 to get the retirement. TGT members can joke all day about the Air Force not doing shit or being pussies, but the truth of the matter is USAF has the best quality of life hands down! It doesn't matter which branch you pick, all will/should lead you in the right direction in being a better human/person.

n5wd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    Foat Wuth
    You've gotten some good advice from the folks so far. Let me see if I can add a little bit more for you to chew on.

I did 7 years active duty with the Air Force, including four years of joint-service duty with the American Forces Radio and Television service in Turkey, Philippines and Taiwan, plus a year in Vietnam before the AFRTS duty. I also spent four years in the Texas Army National Guard, so I've seen a bit of both sides of the yard. I enjoyed the Air Force, for the most part, and had circumstances been different, would have stayed in at least for my 20, though as an Air Force brat, I still say I should have gotten at least partial credit for the 17 years as a dependent.

Any of the military branches will give you opportunities you'd never have in the civilian world - both to mature and learn to work in a team of folks and to learn new skills and possibly work on multi-million dollar aircraft or weapons systems. There's more than one or two 23 or 24 year old crew chiefs on a multi-million dollar aircraft, for example. All of the services have tech schools that rank among the best in the world, and often times you can directly translate those skills into the civilian world easily (i.e. an aircraft maintainer gains valuable skills towards an FAA Airframe and Powerplant license for example). The pay is lousy, but it's just spending money - all your housing and food is paid for, if you're a lower-grade enlisted troop you'll be living in the barracks and eating at the chow hall.

The downsizing of the general force is going to affect all of the branches to some extent - no way to tell what'll happen in anything but the immediate future, but you can expect to see a smaller leaner force in the future unless we get in another shooting war. Promotions may be harder to get past the lowest two or three ranks, but if you're in for only one hitch, that probably won't be a big factor for you, anyway.

You might get a chance to be posted overseas - and you can use your 30 day annual vacation to travel on Space-Available flights almost anywhere in the world, even if you're not posted overseas. Some jobs get frequent TDYs (temporary postings to other bases) so there's always the chance of going to another base on a short-term basis (less than 90 days, usually).

That's the good stuff - the bad stuff is that you'll have to take orders from some folks you may not trust, may not respect, but who outrank you. And you don't get to say "no" and walk away. The Uniform Code of Military Justice makes some things that civilians take for granted into a courts-martial offense, so you learn to defer your temper and your views to a large degree. And, you always have to know that at any time, you may be called upon to put your life in harm's way - that goes with the job and it can happen very quickly and without much notice.

Would I suggest it for a young 'un? Yep - I do it quite frequently to some of my students (I teach at a high school). It is definitely NOT for everyone, but it can be a life-changing (in a good way) decision for those that want to do something that's bigger than themselves, and belong to a group of folks that are doing damned difficult jobs in some of the most unimaginable circumstances in the world.

If you do decide to pursue the service, listen to the recruiter VERY carefully. Make sure you know what you're getting into - and make sure any promises (duty station, job, training, enlistment duration and beginning date) are written down in contract form, or the promises aren't worth anything - recruiters exist to get people in the service, and have been known to stretch the truth, or tell you what you want to hear, in order to get your butt into the induction center.

Oh, one other word of advice - talk to all of the services including the Coast Guard! Ask about officer training possiblities (since you've got some of your college done) and consider doing ROTC and finishing your degree while the service pays for your last two years (or whatever you need) of college. Going in as an officer is definitely better in many ways than going in as an enlisted person (just ask Majormadmax to expound on that!).

Good luck in your decision, whatever it may be.

Wayne

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    +1 to the everything is writing. And in your final contract, if you do sign ask them to point out in the contract what you were promised.

Top Bottom