• ...and so much more!
  • Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    How much is the replacement battery in the Tesla when it does fail? Are the current EV batteries still considered toxic waste?

Lexus says about $20k to swap batteries on their hybrid:
    Lots of engineering difference between a Hybrid and a non-hybrid EV battery, and the battery pack in the hybrid EV are about ( a broad generalization) 1/3 the size/mass.

Everything but the warning label on the outside is hazardous material.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’m not an EV supporter. Not one bit. But if the various manufacturers could settle on a shared battery design, I think the costs could come down a little and battery replacement won’t be so bad. With regards to saving $ on maintenance over an ICE, well we are mainly talking oil changes. Plugs, transmission fluid, coolant are all extended service intervals now. There are no belt(s) to replace. They are reinforced serpentine that go for 100k miles or more are $50 or so and take 5 mins to pop on. Tune ups don’t exist outside of the spark plug replacement.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    Won’t happen. They don’t call the material needed rare earth elements for nothing. They are controllable. They’ve been subsidized and It’s a money scam running on the backs of slave labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently, I believe, Tesla is shipping LiFe batteries...lithium is proving to be substantial in the U.S.

Joe

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Ummm....currently, the grid is adequate...
    Joe, you were not in Texas in early 2021, it seems? The grid was NOT adequate and we still have damage to our home caused by rolling blackouts in single-digit temps.
    If it can't even keep your lights on, it's not gonna take many more EVs to bring it down again.

And I am one who believes that EVs are the future. Not ready for prime time, but after evolution of PVs, batteries, and motors, perhaps.
    Oh. And thoughtful, planned expansions to the grid.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Joe, you were not in Texas in early 2021, it seems? The grid was NOT adequate and we still have damage to our home caused by rolling blackouts in single-digit temps.
    If it can't even keep your lights on, it's not gonna take many more EVs to bring it down again.

And I am one who believes that EVs are the future. Not ready for prime time, but after evolution of PVs, batteries, and motors, perhaps.
    Oh. And thoughtful, planned expansions to the grid.

We had issues this summer due to the heat.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    We had issues this summer due to the heat.
    The ERCOT warnings were all issued after the sun was setting, and the wind was petering out. Just about the time the worker bees get home and need to charge their wondercars from the days commute. PG&E and Con Edison were also stretched far too thin.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Thanks! Rated at 396 miles.
    And that range assumes what driving style?

And at what temperature? Watch out when it gets cold.

And that range will degrade every year as they batteries are cycled.

Start saving now for the battery pack you will have to replace in a few years. It will be rather expensive.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The electricity required to charge an EV is comparable to what a typical home uses in a single day, so no it is not.
    Charging DEFINITELY adds substantial and measurable strain to the grid and can cause or exacerbate (that means make worse) grid problems.

Still interested in seeing the vehicles you claim can out perform a S Plaid at its price-point as you claimed earlier.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The electricity required to charge an EV is comparable to what a typical home uses in a single day, so no it is not.

So charging your car doubles your daily electrical demand, doubling your electric bill and doubling the amount of power you pull off the grid. We already get warnings about rolling blackouts in the summer time because everyone is turning their A/C on and we already have failures of the grid in the winter. How will a substantial number of users doubling their demand not adversely affect the power grid?

Oh, and hey, if my wife gets one too, then we get to triple our usage! Great!

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    My brother (owns a Tesla) and I argue this all the time. He doesn't care that many of the charge stations are run by diesel generators, he just likes the car and rationalizes that the extra time on his trips he enjoys. Sitting in a McDonalds is not a plus for me.
    I have owned 2 hybrids, a Honda Accord (battery went in less than 3 years and replaced under warranty) and a Prius Vi where a minor water leak from the engine required pulling the engine and a $3,000 bill. Neither of them saved me any money. The Honda was fun to drive, the Prius was like driving a shoe box.
    I would bet on a long trip a junk Russian Yugo would arrive faster than an expensive Tesla.
    I really don't care what anyone buys as long as I am not paying for it in tax breaks. My brother got the tax break. If EVs were so great they wouldn't need tax breaks. The public can make the decision with their wallet.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GiantLoomis
    Top Bottom