• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    What do y'all think of the "name" auction houses like RIA?

Not on a bet. Their fees on BOTH buyer and seller are ridiculous.

You might want to check the Burley Auction Gallery in New Braunfels. 830-629-9280. They have good penetration in the collectors/militaria community, and get some prime prices on good guns.

echo1

"A free people should be armed and disciplined"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    If it's not all smoke and mirrors, the gun smith at Barnwood Arms in Ripon Kali is a Garand collector and would/could/has bought collections. As an individual he'd scarf them all up but maybe not the turds if there's too many. PAX

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    If ten guns is an arsenal than I might know less than a dozen people who do not own an arsenal. Once you have training 22s in sufficient actions to keep ammo cost reasonable you could already be over ten.

Timbo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    Brazoria TX 77422
    I've got a line on a long-time Garand collector. He has "three safes full" which I couldn't get translated into a precise number. He's 82, has no heirs, and wants to dump the entire collection at one time for one price.

My first thought was that one of the big auction houses would be best but I'm seeking a bit of brainstorming here.

Any other ideas?

For the record, I have no interest of any type in this, I.e. no commission for helping, I don't want any of the rifles, etc.
    I hope he keeps them safe from anti's, confiscation, and 4473

echo1

"A free people should be armed and disciplined"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    KALI
    I hope he keeps them safe from anti's, confiscation, and 4473

He's trying to off them all at once, might be crazy but I don't think you can get around 4473 via an auction house or single buyer purchase. Can an 03 buy a hunnerd guns from an estate with only log entries. Bunch of ducats, seems like the tax man would have his hand out. PAX

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    Can an 03 buy a hunnerd guns from an estate with only log entries. Bunch of ducats, seems like the tax man would have his hand out.

Yes a sufficiently funded private collector could purchase the entire collection provided all the firearms are within the Curio and Relic definition. The tax ramifications are tied to the current interpretations of the 1099 rules and associated. On that, one must deal with an actual tax professional.

If an 03 holder bought the collection with the intent of picking out say the best ten and moving the rest on to other collectors with no intent of profiting that is also with the historical use of the C&R FFL.

If I wanted to start a Garand collection and wanted to incur the wife wrath for the parking of funds this could be a way to do it in one fell swoop. If the safes were included it sounds almost turn key. Well assuming one can move safes. I have a pickup truck, trailer, & a refrigerator dolly.

My access to strong backs has decreased.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Wouldn't 50 guns be close to arsenal territory?

Shit - that's less than a safe full......

Safes.JPG

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    What do y'all think of the "name" auction houses like RIA?
    I have heard and read that they (RIA) are good to deal with.

There is or was one in MAINE that had a great reputation all across the nation. I will see if I can find a link to that one. The old family died off or it was sold to someone who had worked there for a very long time.

There are several top name auction houses in a couple of other states that have been honest and reliable that I remember reading about from the late 90's and on.

I will see if my husband can think of some when he gets out of the shower.

Old Lady Cate

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I've got a line on a long-time Garand collector. He has "three safes full" which I couldn't get translated into a precise number. He's 82, has no heirs, and wants to dump the entire collection at one time for one price.

My first thought was that one of the big auction houses would be best but I'm seeking a bit of brainstorming here.

Any other ideas?

For the record, I have no interest of any type in this, I.e. no commission for helping, I don't want any of the rifles, etc.
    collectors or rock island could probably be easier tbh.

Top Bottom