• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Like others have said, we'd need a pretty accurate count to start.

Pictures of them all would help. If all he has a bunch of rack grades, thats easy, but the equation will change if he has a gas trap or something.

I would not approach an auction house or gun store without at least some idea of what you have.

This ^^^^^^^ 30-40 rifles is one thing....... 100 or more is another ball game....

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Sorry, but in my humble opinion, I would skip right past Collectors...they have a history of low balling and talking down whatever you have..
    Same with Cabellas.
    Disgraceful

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk
    That's the name of the game when you're selling a gun collection. They're definitely not in it to give you what you think your collection is worth. If that's the case, sell each one individually. With a collection like this, that will take a lot of time.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Sorry, but in my humble opinion, I would skip right past Collectors...they have a history of low balling and talking down whatever you have..
    Same with Cabellas.
    Disgraceful

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk
    If he is 82 and no heirs, he is most likely not too awfully concerned about excessive dollars. Still no heirs to leave the cash to. Just wanting to liquidate the fastest and easiest way possible.
    Anything percent he gets is more than what he has.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    This ^^^^^^^ 30-40 rifles is one thing....... 100 or more is another ball game....

No matter how many, a nice complete C/D or gas trap can significantly alter the value of the collection.

Even if its 100+ rifles, a few pics of a bunch can give us some idea of any unique variants would go a long way into determining value, that way you aren't trying to sell 30 racks through RIA/Morphys, or giving away a toolroom prototype to collectors

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    What do y'all think of the "name" auction houses like RIA?
    I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about RIA auctions. I contacted them years ago about the value of a piece I was thinking of selling. They were nice, and still call me asking if I want to put it into an auction.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    A total price is impossible without a Garand knowledgeable Third Party inventory and individual rifle appraisal, without that, it would be just a guess. Which would most definitely screw the owner or the buyer. A independent appraisal will be pricey on that many rifles.

The big auction houses like RIA or Julia would probably be worth looking into. They would want the most for each rifle to benefit the owner and themselves..
    My one, and only experience with RIA went excellent. We even negotiated a bit away from their standard terms, to my favor!

As for the other places, previously mentioned, I have no experience except with collectors. It took a gun on consignment for a long time never sold it. That’s when it went to RIA and they sold it for more money than I would’ve gotten from collectors and fast.

And lastly, I had a customer when I was in the gun business for my day job that was a very big Julius fan. He bought something from them at almost every auction, and always had at least a dozen bids going on each auction. However, he collected old rolling block, falling block, European Strange, caliber and brands… Not a lot of anything. I’ve seen much interest on this board for.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    I've got a line on a long-time Garand collector. He has "three safes full" which I couldn't get translated into a precise number. He's 82, has no heirs, and wants to dump the entire collection at one time for one price.

My first thought was that one of the big auction houses would be best but I'm seeking a bit of brainstorming here.

Any other ideas?

For the record, I have no interest of any type in this, I.e. no commission for helping, I don't want any of the rifles, etc.
    I'll take a few.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I would say the big auction houses should be contacted. Perhaps they would send an appraiser to look it over, giving you an idea if all at once would even be a viable thing to do. Next idea would be getting a table at the Tulsa show or SAR West.

If you figure the average collector grade price the CMP charge or what collector grade Garands are going for on the internet this could prove to be upwards of $250,000.00 and possibly more.

Hopefully he does not have a bunch of guns that were used to shoot matches for the old DCMP. When I shot for mine the director of the match had them stacked like cord wood in the back of his truck bed. I would venture those guns were not being cleaned after lent out for matches.

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Here are two that have good reputations for not ripping people off.

Lock Stock and Barrel out of CA

Empire Arms out of FL

Both will travel to buy a collection such as the one you are talking about.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Where there's Garands there's bound to be ammo. If priced reasonably, it could move pretty quick around these parts.

m2 ball.jpeg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think he's open to an auction after which he'll get a check for everything. To him, it's functionally the same.

Unfortunately, I'm getting all this through a family member who, this weekend, was a bit more standoffish about all this.

At this point, the notion that I got a bunch of smoke blown up my ass at the first contact is looming more prominently in my mind.

Top Bottom