Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've got a line on a long-time Garand collector. He has "three safes full" which I couldn't get translated into a precise number. He's 82, has no heirs, and wants to dump the entire collection at one time for one price.

My first thought was that one of the big auction houses would be best but I'm seeking a bit of brainstorming here.

Any other ideas?

For the record, I have no interest of any type in this, I.e. no commission for helping, I don't want any of the rifles, etc.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Collector's could handle it, I suppose.

I would not trust Webster's. I've been to many auctions there and the professionalism of that place is always lacking. Also, the crowds they draw tend to be wildly variable when it comes to guns, sometimes bidding next to nothing on expensive stuff, sometimes paying as much as 3 times a reasonable retail price. Perhaps this has changed since they've started selling so much online but I still wouldn't chance it.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Auction House.

Collector's will cheat the pants off him. Avoid.

If he truly has valuable pieces the Auction house will get the money for him.

Garand collectors are a super picky bunch.

Selling them individually, while doable, would be a major P.I.T.A.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    If an auction house is an option, "Lock, Stock, and Barrel" has a solid history. For three safes, they may negotiate. We have bought from them and they were good to deal with.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I think I can second "Lock, stock and barrel" I've not sold to them, but have bought a couple from them. No issues. They will travel to look at collections. Last heard they were up in the DFW area looking to buy.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I've got a line on a long-time Garand collector. He has "three safes full" which I couldn't get translated into a precise number. He's 82, has no heirs, and wants to dump the entire collection at one time for one price.

My first thought was that one of the big auction houses would be best but I'm seeking a bit of brainstorming here.

Any other ideas?

For the record, I have no interest of any type in this, I.e. no commission for helping, I don't want any of the rifles, etc.
    Ben, there's a local SA gun company that says in their radio spots that they specialize in buying complete gun collections. Drury's, I think? Maybe give them a try and if it doesn't pan out find someone who can curate them and get 'em on TGT? I am not likely to be able to fund a whole collection, but some of our gents have much deeper pockets. Then, they can parcel them out to us bottom feeders!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Keep in mind that at this moment the collection is something that has been described to me in imprecise terms. Until I lay my own eyes on them, I can't be 100% sure this isn't a figment of the imagination. But the info was presented sincerely enough that I believe there will be something to it. Maybe not everything, but something.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Older collections have.a larger chance of having at least a couple of weapons of better value. Years ago, a garand was a garand...now a lot of the value depends on who made it, what year, condition and how rare it may be...never discount any collection!

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    A total price is impossible without a Garand knowledgeable Third Party inventory and individual rifle appraisal, without that, it would be just a guess. Which would most definitely screw the owner or the buyer. A independent appraisal will be pricey on that many rifles.

The big auction houses like RIA or Julia would probably be worth looking into. They would want the most for each rifle to benefit the owner and themselves..

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Lots of questions, and I know we don’t know the answers.

Are we talking about three 8-gun safes, or three 24 gun safes. If we’re talking about 25 Garands total and he has an idea of value, they MAY sell on this forum. The bigger the number, the more difficult to find a single value who will come close to offering anything approaching the real value.

If he goes the bulk action route I am thinking the FFL paperwork would be burdensome for a single buyer unless an FFL.

Just thinking out loud…

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Like others have said, we'd need a pretty accurate count to start.

Pictures of them all would help. If all he has a bunch of rack grades, thats easy, but the equation will change if he has a gas trap or something.

I would not approach an auction house or gun store without at least some idea of what you have.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Drury's,…
    While reputable, unless things have changed, they prefer collections be brought to them. They’ll gladly do a short telephone consult for collections too, but they’ll want details to provide a way ahead/recommendation.

ETA: you get a 30% haircut off Drury’s estimated FMV when they buy. 20% of selling price if they consign on your behalf.

Top Bottom