• ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That's what we need to do. Go Skeet'n

That's a terrific idea! I'd host it but my gun club raised the guest pass prices and now I only have ONE extra pass. I know we could do it for free at my other gun club but it's in Beaumont. That's a long drive for you guys!

Flash

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Recoil in a 12 ga. is going to be worse than in a semi-auto. I shot competitive trap and skeet for more than 10 years. A 12 ga. O/U is by far the prefered shotgun of competition shooters. I recommend you find an old Winchester 101 and have Briley add choke tubes to it.
    The Winchester 101 has the unique feature. It has mechanical triggers. This means if the first trigger pull fails to go off, you can simply pull the trigger again to fire the other barrel. Most current O/U shotguns have an inertia trigger. This trigger requires the recoil of the first round going off to reset the trigger for the second round. First round is a dud, you have no second round unless you bounce the butt to reset the trigger. Not a great idea by the way.
    If recoil is a problem, you can always add some kind or recoil reducer into the butt stock. My Beretta has 12 ounces of liquid mercury in the buttstock. It is in a sealed PVC tube that slips into the bolt hole in the buttstock. A quick five minute improvement.
    This additional weight on your shoulder helps with swinging the shotgun to the target.

You can get by in Skeet and Sporting Clays with a typical "field" shotgun. Trap shooters use a more specialized shotgun with a much taller ribbed sight since trap "birds" are going away from you, and also rising as they leave the area. Shop around, there are plenty of used shotguns out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Recoil in a 12 ga. is going to be worse than in a semi-auto. I shot competitive trap and skeet for more than 10 years. A 12 ga. O/U is by far the prefered shotgun of competition shooters. I recommend you find an old Winchester 101 and have Briley add choke tubes to it.
    The Winchester 101 has the unique feature. It has mechanical triggers. This means if the first trigger pull fails to go off, you can simply pull the trigger again to fire the other barrel. Most current O/U shotguns have an inertia trigger. This trigger requires the recoil of the first round going off to reset the trigger for the second round. First round is a dud, you have no second round unless you bounce the butt to reset the trigger. Not a great idea by the way.
    If recoil is a problem, you can always add some kind or recoil reducer into the butt stock. My Beretta has 12 ounces of liquid mercury in the buttstock. It is in a sealed PVC tube that slips into the bolt hole in the buttstock. A quick five minute improvement.
    This additional weight on your shoulder helps with swinging the shotgun to the target.

You can get by in Skeet and Sporting Clays with a typical "field" shotgun. Trap shooters use a more specialized shotgun with a much taller ribbed sight since trap "birds" are going away from you, and also rising as they leave the area. Shop around, there are plenty of used shotguns out there.

While O/U guns are the most popular, I can go out and shoot all day with Excel and not even a soreness on the shoulder. Where the other guys shooting with me are done after a few rounds. My gun is heavier than theirs but I'm young and strong and will worry about fatigue when I'm old and feeble.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

RacingJake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    Abilene
    I guess not many do double double's on the skeet range ? Back in the day I made alot of money from shooters by hitting that button a second time.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Some of the shotguns in those pictures are worth more than my car! I'm just a poor boy so I need to make do the best that I can!

I have my own electric trap with radio control release and my "go to" ammo bags have 200 rounds of reloaded or new 12 gauge shells packed in them. That's EIGHT boxes of shells ready for each trip to the range! For me, there's no choice....I shoot the Remington 1100 semi automatic. Both sides of my collar bone have been broken so I don't want to get the old injuries flared up. The low recoil of my semi auto is perfect!

Since December, I bought an old (1969) Remington 1100 then rebuilt it. It got restocked it with a vintage, original Remington stock, replaced the extractor, plunger and spring, the bolt buffer, main action spring and the magazine spring. It got a new Remchoke 28" vent rib barrel and it's ready to go for many more years of shooting. There's a LOT of money stuffed in that shotgun ($800) but it's hand built, set it up exactly how I wanted it and it's worth it to me! The action on a well used 1100 is smooth as glass. The same is true for a vintage 870 Wingmaster pump.

The 1100 shotgun reminds me of a moonshiner's vehicle. It looks well worn on the outside but it has the heart of a race horse under the skin!

Two weeks ago, I went to a trap shoot. When the guys got sufficiently pounded by their pump shotguns, they began to borrow my 1100 for some relief. That gun cancels out 55% of felt recoil. That's just right!

For the 870 and other Remington shooters, if your long, stamped magazine shell stop comes un-staked inside the receiver, I bought the tool to re-stake them. I made a tool to remove the pump forearms as well.

Flash

Last edited:

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I had a 1100 long ago and I have not yet fired a shotgun that has that little of recoil. It was in the 70's and that is why to this day I do not sell guns.

OldTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Texas
    As some of the old codgers at my club would prove from time to time, it don't matter what you're shooting as long as it's pointed in the right place when you pull the trigger.

I shot the heck out those clay birds for years until my eyes started quitting on me. You can tell my preference for guns. All Brownings.
    74532305.gif

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My buddy Steve and I went out shooting clays with my new trap. The trap throws the suckers so fast, we were both surprised! Today, I only scored 20-30% and the birds took off laughing. That kind of failure simply motivates me to learn and improve. The bench mark has been set and there is only one way to go from here.....UP!

I fired 143 rounds of 12 gauge today out of 2 Remington 1100's. I have been saving for a Browning Citori but I may put that on the back burner. After all of those rounds, I barely feel my shoulder area and there's no pain. Gotta love that 1100!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I took the electric trap out alone on Monday and fired 200 rounds. I'm getting a LOT better! I was alone so had to figure out the best way to trigger the trap myself. I tried taking the remote control in one hand then dropping it when the trap energized. It didn't work too well.

I found the best way was to take the pedal (wire control- not radio control), place it on the ground to trigger it with my front foot. It took me a while to get that going correctly. I probably shot 60% of the birds even preoccupied with the pedal/remote.

I'll do better next time! I WILL learn this!

Flash

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    You couldn't call one of us you selfish bastard. You didn't think that maybe some of us might want to shoot around...or two. Huh!? Huh!? Your are so off the Christmas card list

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Darryle

Crazy old Coot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have a couple of electric throwers and a farm in North West Tarrant county. If a few of y'all want to get together Saturday morning we can work something out. Just bring your own clays, shells, a chair and drinks and I'll furnish fresh batteries, throwers, a farm and shade trees. Just let me know.

If you don't have a shotgun and want to join in, that won't be a problem.

verupyqu.jpg

tugysure.jpg

Top Bottom