• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I'm looking to pick up a sporting clay shotty and am torn between the O/U and a semi auto? Any thoughts? Leaning towards the semi, but there are so many O/U out there I don't know what I'm missing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Hurley's Gold

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX
    I shoot here in Waco a couple of times a month, and have been shooting skeet for several years. In my opinion, I would go with an O/U. They are lighter, there are less moving parts (meaning less to go wrong), and you only need two shots at a time any way. All of the really good seasoned trap and skeet shooters that I have met use O/U's. Another reason I believe O/U's are beneficial is the fact that you can have two different sized chokes on tap for targets flying at various ranges (this would be most advantageous with sporting clays). I prefer 20 gauge O/U's because O/U's are light and after 100 rounds of 12 gauge, I get tired of the recoil. I hope this helps. I have had good experience with the Ruger Red Label. It is reasonably priced, and shoots great.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    It's the recoil that leans me to the semi. I'm not competition level, just casual. Not worried about reliability, I have put 1000's of rounds through mine with never a malfunction (although cleaning is a bit more of a task), but it's a home defense gun and no where near as accurate for trap and skeet. So I assume a quality semi target would provide the same reliability. Was looking at the Beretta Xcel Parallel Target. O/U are pretty though...

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    An O/U is probably the way to go.

A field grade gun will do the job for fun or casual clay games.
    When or if you get serious you'll likely want a target grade gun.

Maybe you just get a longer barrel for your home defense gun.

SS

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    If you want to try a 12G on the cheap, I have an unfired Savage 512 Gold Wing O/U I would like to sell.

Being as this isn't the Classifieds section, PM me and lets see if we can't make medicine ...

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I started shooting skeet with a Beretta A-390ST in 12 gauge. Once I got into it, and really started to enjoy the sport and the progress I was making I upgraded to an O/U. It seems to be a normal progression for many out there. You seen a lot of beginners out there with Mossberg slide action guns, 870's, 1100's, and other field guns. However the shooters that seem to be more serious and regular participants usually have O/Us. Not all the time, I see some upper end customized semi-autos but it seems to be the way it works out.

My chosen upgrade was the Beretta 682 Gold Sporting model. I have added 20 gauge and .410 tube sets from Briley to allow me to shoot those cartridges out of the same gun. Briley also did a trigger job to take care of the inertia triggers and installed a mercury recoil reducing weight in the stock. That coupled with porting done by Magna-Port, recoil is significantly reduced at the cost of a bit heaver gun. I know the gun is going to outlast my use of it, and that particular model is good enough for a couple of folks to win Olympic gold with them in Sydney. So I can't blame the gun when I miss and doubt that I will ever surpass the abilities of that gun.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Interesting. I think I may have to get both eventually then! Probably start with a semi auto since they are going to be cheaper.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    I've been looking at the stoeger condor o/u. Like every gun they have some bad reviews so I'm hesitating. I can't afford a $1500+ B gun.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I've been shooting skeet and trap for many years. I prefer pumps and nothing beats my 870 for speed and reliability. I also use a Winchester 1200 as a backup.

BTW, anyone in the Midland/Odessa area interested in getting together one day during the week (prefer Tuesday or Wednesday evenings) for a trap shoot send me a PM.

aattaway

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Georgetown
    My go-to gun is my Citori, but I must admit, I am looking at a Benelli Super Sport as my next addition. I have put my Browning BPS up for sale to free up some funds to move toward the Benelli. I shoot at Ft. Hood, and the majority of folks shoot O/Us, but more are going to the semi-autos. I bought a Benelli Montefeltro in 20 gauge a couple of months ago, and it is really a fun gun to shoot. One thing that I find is that the more experienced shooters don't talk a lot about felt recoil, rather they talk about how the gun swings, weight, etc. It seems the newer the shooter, the more they worry about recoil.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Kinda on topic
    Olympic Gold
    olympic gold.jpg
    Giovanni Cernogoraz, Croatian trap shooter, gold medal, London 2012

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Ok, did a bit of research on all the medal winners from the 2012 London Olympics that used a shotgun in their sport. I did spot a couple of trends in they type of guns they compete with. Can you spot it? (Well other than 'Expensive' and 'Custom')

Gold Medal Men's Trap - Giovanni Cernogoraz

1368782_M01.jpg

Silver Medal Men's Trap - Massimo Fabbrizi

512x.jpg

Bronze Medal Men's Trap - Fehaid Aldeehani

Fehaid-Aldeehani-of-Kuwait-competes-in-the-Men-Tra_73008390011830.jpg

Gold Medal Men's Double Trap - Peter Robert Russell Wilson

1319328_M01.jpg

Silver Medal Men's Double Trap - Hakan Dahlby

610x.jpg

Bronze Medal Men's Double Trap - Vasily Mosin

Vasily+Mosin+Olympics+Day+6+Shooting+0ybM3f34q5Jl.jpg

Gold Medal Men's Skeet - Vincent Hancock (USA)
    1314000_M01.jpg

Silver Medal Men's Skeet - Anders Golding
    1313643_M01.jpg

Bronze Medal Men's Skeet - Nasser Al-Attiya
    Nasser+Al+Attiya+Olympics+Day+4+Shooting+8qti1Ct04ygl.jpg

Gold Medal Women's Trap - Jessica Rossi
    485227_M13.jpg

Silver Medal Women's Trap - Zuzana Stefecekova
    Zuzana-Štefečeková-získala-na-olympiáde-striebornú-medailu.jpg

Bronze Medal Women's Trap - Delphine Reau
    Delphine+Reau+Olympics+Day+8+Shooting+xF2QZCV5Cyil.jpg

Gold Medal Woman's Skeet - Kim Rhode (USA)

1324474_M01.jpg

Silver Medal Woman's Skeet - Ning Wei
    1310205_M01.jpg

Bronze Medal Woman's Skeet - Danka Bartekova

Danka+Bartekova+Olympics+Day+2+Shooting+g6Dkbqc_k6Rl.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Kim from USA shot a 99 out of 100. If you have ever shot trap before you will know that is so badassed.

Couple that with the fact in International/Olympic events the birds fly a lot faster, and it's much harder you begin to understand her feat. She set a world record this time.

In international trap the birds fly roughly twice as fast as they do at your local gun range, close to 90 mph!
    In international skeet the birds fly about 65 mph, or 130% faster and you must mount your gun when you first see the bird, no holding it on your shoulder and calling pull.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Ok, did a bit of research on all the medal winners from the 2012 London Olympics that used a shotgun in their sport. I did spot a couple of trends in they type of guns they compeate with. Can you spot it? (Well other than 'Expensive' and 'Custom')

They all shoot right handed?
    Yeah I noticed. O/U

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cardwellfamily5%
    Top Bottom