• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Ok, so I am on the side of the road today working a head on semi vs. semi wreck when the rain comes. My Blackberry gets wet and takes a crap.

So I go to San Antoni tnight and buy a Samsung Galaxy S which is an Android phone and also has a 720 HD video capability.

I have owned BB for years and this android stuff is like greek to me....any tips anyone???
    Hurley's Gold

CAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Bexar County
    Download the Texas Penal Code, Transportation Code, and Health and Safety Code apps for starters. I use those all the time on the street.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Bexar County
    By the way, I was in the same boat - I moved from BB to Droid. It took a bit of getting used to, but the Droid is WAY better. You will love it once you get used to it. Plus you can cruise forums like this one and TexasCops.net with the Tapatalk app (I am posting this from my Droid).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    I have one (Captivate) and the Froyo 2.2 OS has some serious flaws. Locking up, wifi connections. Somedays it works great, other days if I wouldnt have paid so much for it, I'd throw it off a cliff.I personally would stay away from the Captivate if I knew it was going to act this way.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have one (Captivate) and the Froyo 2.2 OS has some serious flaws. Locking up, wifi connections. Somedays it works great, other days if I wouldnt have paid so much for it, I'd throw it off a cliff.I personally would stay away from the Captivate if I knew it was going to act this way.
    thats not what I wanted to hear

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    I have a droid 2 my favorite little feature is the GPS, get the car dock and its just like a regular gps. And of course the internet.

weiss27md

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Pflugerville, TX
    Mines rooted with a custom ROM installed. Without rooting you can get Wireless Tether, Total Recall (recorders calls), Extreme Call Blocker, Compass, Google Voice (voicemail), Google Maps, Google Sky Maps, White Noise, Radar Now (weather), GasBuddy (gas prices), SpeedView (GPS speed measuring), Color Flash (flashlight), etc.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    HTC Hero here, it was a Christmas present a year ago and I still love it. The GPS app is worth its weight in gold, and there are enough free apps to load it up with games and what not to keep you from getting bored during those dull times.

I'm gonna have to check out the Penal and Transportation codes apps!

Cheers! M2

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I looked at the HTC7 but it doesnt have Wifi calling capability which is a must. So far I am not loving this phone. I downloaded the Tx penal code but cant get it to work.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    ok...got the Droidlaw to work. im getting the hang of it but everyone sems to agree that for email....the Blackberry smokes them all. It seems that BB has their own server for emails. I get tons of emails daily so I will see how long it takes to get used to this system

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas

Wow. I think I'd get it checked out.

A little late response here:

I also have the Samsung Captivate (so does Emily) both running Android 2.2. We love ours. I use mine extensively as my mobile office, computer, camera, etc all day long every day. No issues. Emily uses hers to keep in touch with the kids and family.

I'd recommend getting one in a heartbeat. I'd also recommend that LilIrishTemper consider having that one replaced. I know several other folks with this same unit that have great luck with theirs.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    My wife has a Galaxy S. We just had to get a warranty replacement for a defective screen. It was a quick turn around with VZW (sent next day air) for a phone that was less than 2 months old. So we'll see how the new one works out. Other than that it has that cool factor of the gadgets etc.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I have a captivate. It is great EXCEPT if you want to use the GPS functionality to its fullest. Samsung has acknowledged they screwed the pooch with the GPS. They released a patch to fix it but it is still too spotty to rely on. They said it would get fixed with 2.2, but it didn't. If you do a lot of traveling and rely on GPS and want to not have to have a dedicated GPS, the Galaxy S is a bad platform. Its not that it doesn't work. It does and sometimes work very well. But sometimes you are driving down the highway and it suddenly thinks you are on a side street and reroutes you. Sometimes you need to quickly activate it and it will take several minutes to find satellites, sometimes right before you need extensive directions like you are about to get off the freeway and make several turns to get to your destination in the next 2 miles, it will lose connection with the satellites and you are boned. So, it is usable, just not as a primary GPS if you use one regularly. Way worse than my previous windows based phone. Way worse than my brother's iphone.

Other than that, its great. Android itself is great.

As far as email goes, blackberry was always top and is hard to beat. However, if you can switch to gmail then you are fine. (Go figure that an operating system developed by Google works amazing with an email platform made by Google.) works amazing with gmaI have all my accounts, work and otherwise get pulled into my gmail account. Works fantastic. Contacts, calendar, etc. its fabulous.

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    I'd also recommend that LilIrishTemper consider having that one replaced. I know several other folks with this same unit that have great luck with theirs.

Noted and will, ever since I updated on Kies mini that's when I had the problems start. Maybe I just got a lemon, like I said when it works, I do love it.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I also have the Samsung Captivate (so does Emily) both running Android 2.2. We love ours. I use mine extensively as my mobile office, computer, camera, etc all day long every day. No issues. Emily uses hers to keep in touch with the kids and family.

When you bought yours was it running 2.2 or did you have to do the upgrade from samsung's website? The even have a warning on thier site that the upgrade has a chance to erase all data from your phone and sim cards.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have been getting a little more used to it as the day has progressed. One thing I noticed is it EATS batteries. My BB Bold could go 2 days without a recharge with the Wi-Fi on. By lunch this one was almost dead from a full charge this morning. Several people said if I leave the wi-fi on it sucks it down FAST. Where we live service is margainal so when I get in the office or in the house I like it to sync with the wi-fi so I have a good signal. Guess I will keep a charger nearby....

Top Bottom