• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Dont worry if it’s leaking. At least you know it’s still got some in it.

When it stops, that’s when you have a problem.
    Guns International

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    My 2019 Tacoma has been okay for the past three years I’ve owned it, but I still think Toyota quality has gone down since the 90’s.

The rear leaf springs are almost completely flat, there’s little to no curvature in them. Apparently that’s common for 3rd gen Tacomas. And for the new 2024 ones, TFL truck on YouTube just broke theirs on a minor off road trail. Lost 4WD, front diff broke.

My Avalon has had a few issues as well that I wouldn’t expect from a Toyota. But nothing as bad as OP’s experience with GM so maybe I should count my blessings.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My Avalon...
    Almost 15 years ago when I bought my Mercury Gran Marquis, I wanted a plain old sedan that rode well and was reliable. I was going to buy a new Avalon. By then, though, it was no longer offered with a front bench seat, something I required. I bought a 2009 that had been traded in to a Lincoln-Mercury dealership that still uses the blocks on a board display to show how many customers traded up every year. Mine had barely a year of use and has mostly been very reliable except to a blown-out spark plug, which I'm told is an occasional issue with these. Many of the little bits, though, have been disappointing. Weather seals, washer motors, little things like that have worn out or failed sooner than I thought they should.

Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off with a used but well-maintained 2004 Avalon with a bench seat.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Almost 15 years ago when I bought my Mercury Gran Marquis, I wanted a plain old sedan that rode well and was reliable. I was going to buy a new Avalon. By then, though, it was no longer offered with a front bench seat, something I required. I bought a 2009 that had been traded in to a Lincoln-Mercury dealership that still uses the blocks on a board display to show how many customers traded up every year. Mine had barely a year of use and has mostly been very reliable except to a blown-out spark plug, which I'm told is an occasional issue with these. Many of the little bits, though, have been disappointing. Weather seals, washer motors, little things like that have worn out or failed sooner than I thought they should.

Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off with a used but well-maintained 2004 Avalon with a bench seat.

Mine is an 08, about the same vintage as your Gran Marquis.

There are a lot of things I love about the Avalon, especially the reclining rear seats. The later model Avalons sacrificed a lot of those comfort features unfortunately.

I’ve had a tie rod snap on me from hitting a minor pothole in a neighborhood at relatively low neighborhood speeds. At one point it was discovered that I had no coolant in my radiator, and it had somehow leaked all of the fluid away without showing any signs of an obvious leak. The engine temp gauge never went past the normal halfway point so I never suspected it. Even the mechanic who found I had no coolant left didn’t find any leaks, and just topped it off. The car never showed any signs of it nor did it show signs of ingesting coolant the whole time I had owned it.

My AC stopped working and didn’t properly work for years until a new radiator was swapped in once the leak finally showed itself. This was before the car even hit 100K miles...

The car also takes a while to start. It sometimes can crank for 3 seconds before starting, but once it’s going it runs smoothly without issue. I’m very 50/50 on my ownership experience of this car. It’s a love/hate relationship.

I also had a mustang that had the same 2v 4.6 as your Gran Marquis probably had. Other than misfires that disappeared when I’d roll to the shop and some alternator issues it was fine.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    yes they do?
    I had a 2012 Tundra with the 5.7. Great truck, but I used it at it's maximum capacity a few times and found it lacking at it's limit. Probably would have been ok with helper bags on it.

I had a completely clapped 7.3 Ford that was much better at the heavy stuff. I regret getting rid of that Ford. Do not regret selling the Tundra.
    Buy better vehicles.
    Get away from domestics.
    Chicken tax, NHTSA, and EPA prevent us from getting anything decent from overseas.

Paul Saver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    North Texas
    1710800947516.png

Remember these? Coolant in the oil.......... ruined. Flawed head mating surfaces.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I never liked the Northstar.Lol. The Avalon's were pretty solid cars up until the timing covers would leak. Probably the Achilles heel of every generation of Toyota chain motor. Good ten hours of effort on the 4.0, 8 or so in the newer 4.6 and a good 12-15 on the Avalon since you have to drop the powertrain out of the bottom to remove it while lifting the body up off it. Reminds me of a few power strokes that required cab/chassis off repairs for turbos on the diesels.

What pains me the most is the modernization of basic systems. The brake master cylinder should not require programming to replace but there are several trucks out there that will literally not shift out of gear until it's done. Had a kid I worked with at a shop do one. Thing wouldn't move. Thought he was smart, disconnected the shift linkage and manually shifted it. It immediately shifted itself back into park!

Engineers have effectively ruined otherwise simple and reliable mechanical and hydraulic systems through unnecessary tech integration. Whether it's an underhanded way of making an extra buck or just overthinking something that didn't need improvement I really don't know but I'm certain it's helped to make modern vehicles both delicate and difficult at the same time.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I've had a lot of trucks but my 1979 Ford F100 with a 302 and C4 auto was the best truck off all of them.
    I got hooked on the small Toyotas after that truck and on my last now.

I'll not buy another truck unless it's a really clean pre 80s

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Some of the best engineered , reliable gasoline engines I can recall are

AMC 4.0 inline 6
    GM 3800 V6
    Ford 300 Inline 6
    GM 5.3 Vortec
    Toyota 5.7 I Force
    Toyota 22RE

What am I missing?

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Some of the best engineered , reliable gasoline engines I can recall are

AMC 4.0 inline 6
    GM 3800 V6
    Ford 300 Inline 6
    GM 5.3 Vortec
    Toyota 5.7 I Force
    Toyota 22RE

What am I missing?
    The Chevy inline 6 250 was pretty bulletproof. Had one in a chevy truck 250 K miles on it the Body rotted out around it from the salt on the roads

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Pontiac 151cid "Iron Duke"
    Any GM LS-pattern V8 from 1997 on, without AFM.
    Ford 2.3L 4 cyl.
    Ford 5.0/5.8L
    Ford 4.6L 2 valve

ETA: The Honda Ridgeline is less truck than an El Camino.

Top Bottom