• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I saw a 1988 Accord on I-35 last week. I bet that thing has over 500k miles on it. Honda and Toyota made (make) cars to just work. They don't have the latest gadgets but they run.. FOREVER. The only cars we buy in this house are Toyotas (I've thought about picking up a Tesla)
    <>

When last shopping, I ran across a Guy who lived in New Orleans & had to go to Houston twice a month for his work.

His midsize Tesla could make it to Beaumont if weather were cool, w/ little A/C use; but if hot & he had to really run A/C, it petered-out about Lake Charles.

It then took a couple hours to get a ‘’partial re-charge’’, which may or may not get him to his Houston hotel, where it was plugged-in overnight.

He said no way he could run the resistance heater.

<>

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Don't let the haters deter you from at least looking at them. My father in law had a couple of Ridgelines and they are pretty nice. They definitely ride like more like a car than a conventional truck.
    I believe the Ridgelines and Pilots are built on the same chassis. My 2011 4WD Pilot is rock solid with 135,000. Getting the maint done as I have and will - I plan on seeing 300,000. It has a few knocks and scratches. My plan is to wrap that rascal when the time arrives and keep going.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2023
    Houston
    My step father told me once that I needed to buy a chevy, they are easy to change engines in, and used engines are cheap.
    He always kept a spare engine for his truck ready to go, in the garage, for when the need came up.

I told him that unless I want to do engine changes for fun, I'd stick with a Japanese car/truck.
    He took me out of his will.
    About 30 years ago I faintly recall that owning a Japanese vehicle could really upset the family elders who faced Mitsubishi planes in WW2. Being shunned and removed from wills was certainly a consequence of that purchase decision.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    We all know how many millions F250 7.3L trucks they could sell, or how many 5.9L stick Rams that would sell. But longevity is not an option
    Two historical analogs come to mind.

In the 1960s (I think) Porsche started a long-life vehicle project. They concentrated on using materials that wouldn't rust and designs that were easy to service. They managed to put together a chassis before the project got canceled. The bean counters were scared that 911 sales would be cannibalized by folks who would buy new Porsches slowly, if at all.

One company that drove themselves out of business in a particular market was Rollei. If you wanted a twin lens reflex camera, the Rolleiflex was unbeatable quality. In the 1950s, serious photojournalists had them all over the place. But they were too good. Eventually, everyone who wanted one had one and none of the damn things ever broke. They went out of the TLR business in, iirc the early 1970s. Later, they re-entered the market with limited editions of oddly spec'd TLRs with prices in the stratosphere but the principle stands.

Make a product too well and you can put yourself out of business.

I wish car makers didn't adhere so strongly to that principle.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Two historical analogs come to mind.

In the 1960s (I think) Porsche started a long-life vehicle project. They concentrated on using materials that wouldn't rust and designs that were easy to service. They managed to put together a chassis before the project got canceled. The bean counters were scared that 911 sales would be cannibalized by folks who would buy new Porsches slowly, if at all.

One company that drove themselves out of business in a particular market was Rollei. If you wanted a twin lens reflex camera, the Rolleiflex was unbeatable quality. In the 1950s, serious photojournalists had them all over the place. But they were too good. Eventually, everyone who wanted one had one and none of the damn things ever broke. They went out of the TLR business in, iirc the early 1970s. Later, they re-entered the market with limited editions of oddly spec'd TLRs with prices in the stratosphere but the principle stands.

Make a product too well and you can put yourself out of business.

I wish car makers didn't adhere so strongly to that principle.
    Studebaker

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The first time I saw a Honda Ridgeline was in Colorado about 2006
    We were on vacation and headed up a jeep trail for a day of off reading

We headed up this country road like alot of trails start off and then it progresses to rocks about grapefruit size

We round a bend and there sits a brand new looking Ridgeline
    Nobody around it

We continued up and about a half mile these 2 fellas are walking together wearing Birkenstock sandals, shorts and one had a light day pack.

So I stopped the Jeep and ask if all was ok and they said sure
    The trail had gotten a little rough so they decided to go on foot.

I had to smile and just drive on..

My opinion on the vehicle was set that day and has never changed
    So I'm gonna go find me some rope I guess
    I've had enough coffee...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

We headed up this country road like alot of trails start off and then it progresses to rocks about grapefruit size

Nobody around it

We continued up and about a half mile these 2 fellas are walking together wearing Birkenstock sandals, shorts and one had a light day pack.

I’m not big fan of the Ridgeline. It looks like an Extra gay Avalanche.

That said, I don’t know that I’d base too much off the lines some people draw. Couple years ago me and the wife took our farm buggy 500cc midsize Polaris ranger to an off road park. While our riding a guy pulled up next to us in a brand new Polaris Razr 1000 with his wife. Talked for a couple minutes and decided to run together for a little bit. Round the corner and see a big rocky hill. Me and my wife start up while he waits at the bottom to make some space. Halfway up we look down the hill and he’s disappeared.

I doubt that guy ventured off the park roads on to any real trails. We took our Danger Ranger all over the park, only stopped by ledges too steep to climb over.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

Nobody around it

<>

Yes, you are correct, BUT:

Before entering the U S Light Truck market; Honda did years of research into what most private light truck buyers actually use their trucks for.

Then they designed the Ridgeline around those actual uses: carrying dogs, canoes, groceries, hunting gear, sports equipment, & bikes.

But the first Ridgelines were UGLY.

Their owners loved them, they were & still are the best ‘’driving’’ pickups around. And, all thse weatherproof compartments.

I’ve owned & driven JEEPS for a half-century+, virtually no ’’rock climbing’’ except a couple trans-Pecos hunting trips.

Then the new Ridgeline was designed to resemble a Jap auto; another design failure. But it works so well for most.

leVieux

<>

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    My dad put 234,000 miles on his 1965 Chevy Pickup with a High Torque 230 Six. I think there's alot to say for simplicity.

Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

GM took a damn good engine in the LS V8..capable of 300k miles easily..and added a complex system including new complex lifters with springs...this is what fails.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    About 30 years ago I faintly recall that owning a Japanese vehicle could really upset the family elders who faced Mitsubishi planes in WW2. Being shunned and removed from wills was certainly a consequence of that purchase decision.
    I had a family elder who was very upset that I bought a Buick Opel (German built) when I returned from SE Asia duty. In later years he stopped buying American and only bought Toyotas.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I'd just like to say F you and your shit products.

My son's 2018 1500 Crew Cab shit the transmission in Dec.. with 112k on the odo and that cost $4500....now he is stuck in Belton with the AFM lifters failed and the shop there is trying to bend him over for almost double what I paid for the same repair on my POS 2020 Silverado in Nov last year.

I paid $6300 and that included pulling the engine because the cam was scored...
    They want $8000 if no cam is needed and $10,000 if it is.
    He could probably get a crate motor for that.

So his hometown shop in Keller is going to fix it for a reasonable price and I'm leaving at 6am tomorrow for Belton to go get the truck, him and his wife and baby and get tow everything back to Ft Worth

So again a heartfelt FU to General Motors for making $60,000 trucks you sell as work trucks to working people that can't make it 125,000 miles with the engine and transmission taking a dump.

Go right to Hell GM ..do not pass go..do not collect $200.

Rookie Numbers.

Wife's 2004 Avalanche 2500HD transmission shit the bed at right around 36k warranty. Dealer replaced it. 4k, later it acted up, and we sold same day. Neverwent back to GM since.

Hope you get it worked out.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Well, he was in the pacific in WWII, and did receive the purple heart when he was strafed by a Zero at Henderson field.

Top Bottom