• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Right around Y2K I went and bought an SW99 in 9mm. It is the first quality handgun I ever bought myself. However, I have never been a good shot with it. It seems that only when I rapid fire it and make minimal effort aiming it that I can put some good groups together on target. As it happens, I was OK with that because I always looked at it as a potential CCW. Now a days, my CZ75 and BHP get a lot more action because of my inability to take and make slow aimed shots with the SW. It may just be the trigger but lately I have thought about getting a threaded aftermarket barrel. I was thinking about a Barsto or Jarvis but have also seen the firedragon and a few others out there. If anyone has had any experience or luck with these brands, I would like to hear about it. I don't expect this thing to ever achieve laser like accuracy(I have a 1911 for that) but some decent groups would be nice.
    Guns International

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A barrel will not improve accuracy on virtually all modern handguns.

The SW99 is much lighter than a full steel BHP, CZ75, and 1911 ... thus it doesn't dampen your poor habits as much. It's more imperative to focus on a good trigger squeeze and a clean break with a lighter gun.

If the gun is not shooting a 1" hole at 7 yards with factory ammo then it is the shooter.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I picked up an SW99 shortly after that in .40 brand new.. It is as accurate as I, which is to say at 15 yrds I can put them all in the 8 ring with only a pause in between shots.. It does not have the best trigger in the industry, and I have thought about having someone look at it. As for the barrel, I agree with El Guapo, I don't see that improving the accuracy unless there is something seriously wrong with the gun.. It's one of my favorite guns...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I would say it's me but even my friends cannot shoot this gun well(not that they're expert marksmen). I realized this year that when I rest the gun at 7yds it prints very low. I have heard that the original trijicon sights had a tall front blade. After reading about it, I thought I would go ahead and change it out. To my disappointment I found a 3 piece set of "standard" sight blades in the box. So much for my night sights. Anyhow, when I one-hand the pistol and rapid fire it, I eat targets up. But....my closest range(Eagle Peak) does not allow rapid fire. Part of my reasoning for a different barrel was to add the potential to suppress it one day. In the meantime, I might take it out and just try to adjust my sight picture to compensate for it printing so low. I love this gun but prefer to hit my target every pull and this thing just doesn't do it for me. I have also thought about sending it to S&W for them to test fire and change out the front blade for me but I don't know how that will turn out/cost me and I prefer to do most of my 'smithing' myself. I also once read that the p99 uses a different material in their barrels than the SW, don't know if that plays a factor in it's accuracy. Thanks for the input people, hopefully someone will chime in that has had some trigger time with the aftermarket barrels.

Top Bottom