• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Right around Y2K I went and bought an SW99 in 9mm. It is the first quality handgun I ever bought myself. However, I have never been a good shot with it. It seems that only when I rapid fire it and make minimal effort aiming it that I can put some good groups together on target. As it happens, I was OK with that because I always looked at it as a potential CCW. Now a days, my CZ75 and BHP get a lot more action because of my inability to take and make slow aimed shots with the SW. It may just be the trigger but lately I have thought about getting a threaded aftermarket barrel. I was thinking about a Barsto or Jarvis but have also seen the firedragon and a few others out there. If anyone has had any experience or luck with these brands, I would like to hear about it. I don't expect this thing to ever achieve laser like accuracy(I have a 1911 for that) but some decent groups would be nice.
    Target Sports

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A barrel will not improve accuracy on virtually all modern handguns.

The SW99 is much lighter than a full steel BHP, CZ75, and 1911 ... thus it doesn't dampen your poor habits as much. It's more imperative to focus on a good trigger squeeze and a clean break with a lighter gun.

If the gun is not shooting a 1" hole at 7 yards with factory ammo then it is the shooter.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I picked up an SW99 shortly after that in .40 brand new.. It is as accurate as I, which is to say at 15 yrds I can put them all in the 8 ring with only a pause in between shots.. It does not have the best trigger in the industry, and I have thought about having someone look at it. As for the barrel, I agree with El Guapo, I don't see that improving the accuracy unless there is something seriously wrong with the gun.. It's one of my favorite guns...

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I would say it's me but even my friends cannot shoot this gun well(not that they're expert marksmen). I realized this year that when I rest the gun at 7yds it prints very low. I have heard that the original trijicon sights had a tall front blade. After reading about it, I thought I would go ahead and change it out. To my disappointment I found a 3 piece set of "standard" sight blades in the box. So much for my night sights. Anyhow, when I one-hand the pistol and rapid fire it, I eat targets up. But....my closest range(Eagle Peak) does not allow rapid fire. Part of my reasoning for a different barrel was to add the potential to suppress it one day. In the meantime, I might take it out and just try to adjust my sight picture to compensate for it printing so low. I love this gun but prefer to hit my target every pull and this thing just doesn't do it for me. I have also thought about sending it to S&W for them to test fire and change out the front blade for me but I don't know how that will turn out/cost me and I prefer to do most of my 'smithing' myself. I also once read that the p99 uses a different material in their barrels than the SW, don't know if that plays a factor in it's accuracy. Thanks for the input people, hopefully someone will chime in that has had some trigger time with the aftermarket barrels.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom