• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Me too. A member of my family bought a used ATV. The seller assured them they had the title, but would have to find it. Buyer got a BOS. After 30 days the seller didn't produce the title and the buyer went to TPW to apply for a lost title. Two days later auto theft task force shows up and takes the ATV (stolen). Seller and buyer were summoned to a property hearing. Buyer presents BOS to judge. Property is awarded to title owner (not buyer BTW). Buyer gets to leave. Seller was arrested in the court house. In this incident the BOS did confirm the buyer's story.
    Yeah, and that's what I was trying to say in my earlier posts. Now I didn't know of specific cases involving handguns, but even trying to find cases I knew of I couldn't find on the internet, but I would get many sites asking to pay for searching cases, which of course I'm not going to do just to prove it happens.
    DK Firearms

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Is there a law about selling too many cars in a year, or any other time frame, does it require a license of some sort?

Serious question...

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Is there a law about selling too many cars in a year, or any other time frame, does it require a license of some sort?

Serious question...

I seem to remember, yes it does. But can't recall the number.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Serious question...
    I certainly wouldn't doubt it would get you on some law enforcement radar if you sold quite a few.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    There are state laws related to being a dealer. Maybe one of our resident car guys can fill us in.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Me too. A member of my family bought a used ATV. The seller assured them they had the title, but would have to find it. Buyer got a BOS. After 30 days the seller didn't produce the title and the buyer went to TPW to apply for a lost title. Two days later auto theft task force shows up and takes the ATV (stolen). Seller and buyer were summoned to a property hearing. Buyer presents BOS to judge. Property is awarded to title owner (not buyer BTW). Buyer gets to leave. Seller was arrested in the court house. In this incident the BOS did confirm the buyer's story.
    There's no question that BOS are (or can be) valuable when dealing with items for which there is a muniment of title (boats, vehicles, trailers, RVs, etc.).

When TGT members are deriding BOS, they aren't referring to firearms transactions involving licensed dealers, they are referring to private FTF transactions by and between unlicensed persons. And TGT members are correct--BOS are useless, silly documents for a private FTF firearms transaction between two unlicensed individuals.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Not really, question was in response to BOS for cars vs BOS for guns, and the difference.
    Private owner to private buyer: title transfer only. But I do believe the signatures need to be notarized, no? My own title is in my SD box so I am unable to look at it right now.

Last edited:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I smell a thread drift.

You want a thread drift? Rate this mullet, 1-10:
    man-curly-mullet-.jpg

Attachments

• man-curly-mullet-.jpg
      man-curly-mullet-.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 239

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    There are state laws related to being a dealer. Maybe one of our resident car guys can fill us in.

I tried to look through the statute, but couldn't locate the actual law... this might help until Orbitup or someone else more qualified comes along..

https://www.txiada.org/future_dealers

Do I need a license?

If you are at all serious about the business, then YES. An individual is allowed to sell up to four vehicles per year without a dealer’s license – kind of tough to make any money that way, huh? Plus, every one of those vehicles has to be titled in YOUR name before you sell it. Why does that matter? Because that means you will be paying 6.25% in sales tax on each vehicle you buy – BEFORE you sell it! Licensed dealers do NOT pay sales tax on vehicles they acquire for their inventory.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    Private owner to private buyer: title transfer only. But I do believe the signatures need to be notarized, no? My own title is in my SD box so I am unable to look at it right now.
    No--I do BOS (signed by both parties), and signed title in selling/buying a vehicle in a private transaction. There is no need (in Texas) to have any of it notarized. The BOS is to show the County Tax Assessor/Collector to establish what was paid during the transaction. They'll either use that value (or a value from their sources) to establish the amount upon which you will pay sales tax along with the title transfer. If you have a signed BOS, you don't need the seller's signature on the application for title transfer form. But none of that is relevant here . . . unless this has become TexasMotorVehicleTitleTalk.

Top Bottom