• ...and so much more!
  • Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Just for clarity:

When I say "black tip" I typically mean AP. it seems the 110gr Barnes may also have black tips.

If you are talking about the Barnes, not sure that I will bother looking for another powder.

I'm getting 2150ish with 125gr SST and can still increase the charge. Should be able to get up to 2200 or so easily.

I'm testing these from a 16" barrel. Couldn't say what happens when they hit, went too deep in to the berm to dig out by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I say black tip on the Barnes because some folks end up grabbing the 110 grain TTSX instead of the TAC-TX and they are two totally different bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TacticalTed

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    Wylie
    G2R Trident Subsonic will and has always worked for me.

You can of course use the supersonic RIP but that's like detonating a pineapple grenade inside the hog

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I won't buy G2 ammo based only on how misleading their RIP SD ammo ads were.

No idea on the ammo you mentioned, just a personal thing.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I subscribe to a completely different philosophy about subsonic rounds. Instead of taking a light weight bullet and downloading it to produce sub sonic velocities, I look at heavier bullets that leave the muzzle at less than 1125 ft/second. Unfortunately, downloading a lighter projectile is right on the cutting edge of squib loads that stick in the barrel. That's bad MoJo!

The Lyman 50th edition has excellent data as does their Lyman AR 15 special publication. They furnish recipes that put the heavy/slow bullets to good use.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/374940/lyman-ar-reloading-handbook-reloading-manual

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1064661989/lyman-reloading-handbook-50th-edition-reloading-manual

The Lyman AR manual is several years older than the Lyman #50 so the recipe data doesn't agree 100% between them. I use the Lyman #50 as it was published this year.

Flash

Last edited:

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I subscribe to a completely different philosophy about subsonic rounds. Instead of taking a light weight bullet and downloading it to produce sub sonic velocities, I look at heavier bullets that leave the muzzle at less than 1125 ft/second. Unfortunately, downloading a lighter projectile is right on the cutting edge of squib loads that stick in the barrel. That's bad MoJo!

I think that's the same philosophy everyone here, and the ammo mfr's, subscribe to...heavy-for-caliber bullets for subsonic velocities.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think that's the same philosophy everyone here, and the ammo mfr's, subscribe to...heavy-for-caliber bullets for subsonic velocities.

I loaded some 110gr subs for my Handi Rifle, only because they are stupidly quiet. I'd never hunt anything bigger than a rabbit with them.

ShadowDelta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Ive used 110-125gr. I had really good success with some Atlanta Arms Ammo in 125gr. Killed a 350lbs hog in SC with it. Dropped numerous deer/exotic/varmint. I have also killed a few animals with 150gr nosler ballistic tips. The only round i hate is the 220 subs. They dont expand. The 208 Amax do though....

ShadowDelta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    There is also some 100 gr pills im going to hand load, by cutting edge. They are $$$ but they are all milled, and design to mess up vitals in game.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    A friend has a Ruger revolver (7.5" barrel) in the M1 30 caliber carbine. He shot a 267 lb. (field dressed) hog at 74 paces (using the standard M1 round, 110 gr. FMJ) and it dropped dead with the single shot. An anomaly, ..................... maybe, but it can be done.

Last edited:

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Ive used 110-125gr. I had really good success with some Atlanta Arms Ammo in 125gr. Killed a 350lbs hog in SC with it. Dropped numerous deer/exotic/varmint. I have also killed a few animals with 150gr nosler ballistic tips. The only round i hate is the 220 subs. They dont expand. The 208 Amax do though....

Have you recovered an expanded AMAX at subsonic velocities? I've never had any traditional rifle bullet expand at subsonic velocities. They have a lower limit of velocity threshold at which they will expand which typically ranges from 1600-2000fps. They do quite often tumble giving the illusion that they expanded.

ShadowDelta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Have you recovered an expanded AMAX at subsonic velocities? I've never had any traditional rifle bullet expand at subsonic velocities. They have a lower limit of velocity threshold at which they will expand which typically ranges from 1600-2000fps. They do quite often tumble giving the illusion that they expanded.

I tried to upload a pic of some subsonic i have recovered wont allow me from tap talk. The Amax didnt tumble, i use to test fire barrels for an AR15 manufacturer in SC. The amax have never passed thru and while its not DRAMATIC expansion it is more then the 220. I have one from a 220 i shot to put down an injuried animal, and well its sad. The reason i bring this up, is I contacted the ammo maker, ask to swap out (at my expense no less)what i had (140 rds) for some Amax sub. They have a 1000% customer satisfaction refused to take the ammo back, but shipped FREE of charge 140 amax or 7 boxes. I felt bad, but was super happy. I must have messaged the owner, it was way beyond what was fair IMO. they just ask i spread the word if asked.

TBM

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    This is good stuff - I have a 300 Blackout rifle ready to go for some hogs, just need the opportunity to hunt them (and my tax stamp to hunt them quietly). I've been looking at a lot of info on 300 hog ammo, so this is good stuff...

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    I had really good success with some Atlanta Arms Ammo in 125gr.
    That pink tip ammo is a death ray. I am down to 100 rds and will cry when it's gone. It kills hogs dead! Took a large buck with it a couple of years ago and he went down like I dropped a piano on him.

ShadowDelta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    This is good stuff - I have a 300 Blackout rifle ready to go for some hogs, just need the opportunity to hunt them (and my tax stamp to hunt them quietly). I've been looking at a lot of info on 300 hog ammo, so this is good stuff...
    Wait a little bit, the hearing protection act is in the works. I have my 3rd can at my dealer wiating.

Want to part with those last 100 rds, im down to 26....

Rottweiler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Hill Country
    I've had good results with 125 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips. Spine shots shatter vertebrae, never had one take a step. Head shots from the side do about the same.

Top Bottom