• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Waterguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Baytown
    I have a chance to pick up a nice Kimber. What are yalls thoughts on the kimber? Its a 45acp.
    Good, bad?

22013481-398.jpg

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Re: Your opions on a Kimber please.

How much is the asking price? my .02 on a 1911 is that your best value if a STI if you're looking to get the best bang for your buck. Kimbers are great 1911's though and if the price is right, then jump on it. If it's anything less than $750, I'd take it and run. Any idea how many rounds through it and when it was made?

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas

As the Colt 1911 patent expired some years ago, many are making the 1911 types, Kimber among them....Even the Chinese....Our American Firearm genius, John Moses Browning made a pistol that passed 100 years in it's excellence and use by likely millions of knowledgable pistoleros....

If I was in the market for a new 1911, Ruger's new one would be the choice, I believe it's called the SR-1911. I believe the3y are advertised at a little over $700

Waterguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Baytown

From what I have been told it has less than 100 through it. Its fairly new. Bought in 2010.
    I have seen them priced from 700 to 1000 for new and used ones.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I have owned a couple different Kimbers, and I liked them. IMO, Kimber makes a good gun. The biggest complaint I have heard is the finish isn't as strong as it could be, but I never had any problems with mine.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio

I just got my first Kimber a few months ago (Kimber Pro Crimson Ultra ). I was experiencing some FTF's and the slide not returning all the way into full battery, I was really dis-hearted at this. I was being told that Kimber needed a break-in period which quite frankly I just didn't "get". I was EXTREMELY satisfied with it's accuracy though, and sure enough after around 400rds (give or take), she is working great and I feel comfortable using it as my new carry gun. I would think at around 750 or less you would be doing good, much more than that and your getting into new Kimber pricing. Good luck YMMV.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

Have had several 1911s in different configurations (barrel lengths mostly). My experiences are very positive with my Colt Defender (read: short barrel). Never owned a Kimber but have always heard positive comments (other than sometimes overpriced). As stated above, if it was in the $750 / $700 range it would seem to be a good price. Just my two bits.

By the way, a 1911 that size is VERY easy to carry and conceal!

Lobo_79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    San Antonio

I have a chance to pick up a nice Kimber. What are yalls thoughts on the kimber? Its a 45acp.
    Good, bad?...

At the risk of being labeled a heretic I'd advise against any 1911 that doesn't conform to the original military specification. Essentially that would be a full size, 5" barrel etc. unless you can deal with the reliability issues commonly seen with the compacts like you show in your picture. I've owned one similar Kimber and it would not return to battery shooting anything but 230 gr. FMJ rounds. It would not shoot JHP rounds from any manufacturer.

I sent it back to Kimber for a tune up but in the end that didn't help so I sold it. When I did sell it I explained its problems to the new buyer in the interest of full disclosure. If you can tune the gun yourself you might be okay, otherwise you run a high risk of being disappointed.

Waterguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Baytown

Thanks for all the opinions and facts. I am going out to run some rounds through it today. I will let yall know how it did.
    Again, thanks.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub

love my Kimber as well - but right now i'm pretty fond of the Springfield Arms line....

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008

I have an older Kimber Ultra Carry and it has been reliable and trouble-free.

KUCrw.gif

Waterguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Baytown

Well, went out and put few rounds through it today. No problems at all. Very accurate from about ten yards, put more than a few in the same hole.
    Over all, a very nice piece.
    If I can get him down on the price a bit, I may just have to pick it up.
    Thank yall for the input.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

Kimber is highly over rated. They make decent quality slides, frames, and barrels, but it's not uncommon for the rest of the components to be suspect. They aren't bad guns, they just aren't God's gift as some will have you believe. They also have much tighter tolerances than they really should have (chamber for example), which is a cause of a lot of their problems. They are a good base to start with, just don't be surprised if there is a little work involved to get one to 100%.

I would avoid the 3" guns. The majority of problems I have seen with 1911's have been with the 3" guns, and there is a reason for it. Shooting one or 2 of them may not show this, however when you've shot dozens or more and thousands of rounds through them, it becomes much more apparent.

Top Bottom