Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Age 5/6 shot Dad's Ruger Single Six 22

Age 14 with third or fourth paycheck bought a Ruger Mark I at Montgomery Wards. Dad signed for it.

I put countless bricks of $9.99 ammo through it.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    First to shoot: Vietnam bring back NAZI era Walther P-38 of my uncles (I have it now)

First handgun to buy: Ruger Old Army - black powder cap n ball, (I was too young to get anything else from a dealer.)

First pistol: Colt 1911 a few weeks after I turned 21 (I still have it)

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    First shot was a Beretta Hi power which was my dad's.

First to own was a Ruger Blackhawk SA 44 mag revolver.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    That is so cool that you have that P-38 Acera!

Yeah it is, got it before he passed. My uncle brought back a number of items from over there, we have just two left. The other was his K-Bar knife, I had it for a number of years, took it overseas with me while in the Army in the late 80's and early 90's. Gave it to his son before he deployed to Iraq on his first tour. He also took it to A-Stan on a later deployment. He has it stowed somewhere now as the sheath webbing completely let go after a few months on his last deployment. That knife has seen a lot of travel and use in and out of Americas conflicts over the past 40+ years.

The pistol is interesting to me, and I still shoot it on occasion. Not in great shape, but good enough. AC 1941 with a low serial number indicating that it was made in January of that year, dirty bird proof marks. I bet it could tell some stories about how it got from WWII Germany into the hands of a NVA officer in Viet Nam in the late 60's. I know a lot of German soldiers joined the French Foreign Legion after the war and continued soldiering on in Indochina. No proof of any kind that is how it got there though.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    First handgun(s)

The first handgun I ever shot was a 1911 .45ACP. The occasion was a trip to a USAF range to attempt to qualify with the pistol as a new 2Lt in USAF. (I did not qualify, and as things worked out, I did not qualify until I'd been in 5 years and already a Captain--long story.)

The first handgun I bought for myself was a High Standard Sentinel 9-shot .22LR revolver. I bought it because I was ashamed of failing pistol qualification and decided I needed a gun to practice with. I later decided that I needed to use "more gun" and bought a Hawes Western Marshall SA revolver in .357 Magnum and a DMW Pistole 1908 in 9mm. Practice with those at least inured me to the loud reports of practical weapons, but I still didn't manage to qualify (in retrospect, USAF made few efforts to get me to a facility where training and testing were available). I finally did manage to qualify when assigned to a base where Small Arms Training was available and USAF had changed to S&W DA revolvers in .357 Magnum (using .38 Specials) for testing. It was years later that my pistol skills were sufficient for me to be successful with larger calibers, and I did become quite capable with the 1911 and big-bore revolvers.

My affinity for big muzzle flashes developed along with my abilities to handle big-bore guns.

flashguy

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    1st was the Dan Wesson 357 pistol pack I inherited from my uncle.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    First shot was a Beretta Hi power which was my dad's.

Um, I think you meant Browning.

First handgun shot: my Dad's Colt Officers Model Special .38. I was 7-8 yrs old. I still have it.
    First handgun owned: Ruger .22 Standard, given to me by my Dad when I was 10. Still have it.
    First handgun purchase: S&W 410 in .40S&W. Long gone.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    1st firearm shot was an extremely cut-down 12ga pump (without the pump) shotgun (I sorta remember that the end of the shell was less than an inch from the end of the barrel) , had a homemade wooden grip and welded-on-to-it's slide ring was a piece of tubular steel, for holding on to with the non-trigger hand - shot it ONCE - don't know where it came from nor where it went

1st "real" pistol was a .38 revolver that belonged to a friends Dad - probably didn't shoot more than one cylinder's worth

1st pistol owned was a .38 revolver - I sold it to another teen for about $5 dollars, for gas money

I bought my 1st rifle from a woman friend of my parents - her husband had died and she was getting rid of "stuff" - it is an 1862 (Tower of London Locked) Brown Bess (I believe) Cap and Ball - many used during our Civil War - I put many a round thru it's barrel in the 50s & 60s - my Son has it now (I hope)

all the above took place in the 1950s

What's all this talk of rifles and shotguns in a handgun thread, Mr. Don't Go Off Topic In My Threads Or I'll Piss and Moan Like a Woman On The Rag?

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    The first handgun that I ever shot was a S&W mod.41, the first one that I bought was a Ruger super single six whish is now known as the old model. I still have it.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    First I ever shot was either a Browning Buck Mark (.22LR, had to stop shooting it when the front sight flew off down-range) or a Kimber Desert Warrior in .45, when I was 14. There was also a 9mm and a .22LR revolver involved during that trip, but I can't for the life of me remember what either of them were. For a complete novice shooter, I still think I did pretty good - kept everything inside the 5 ring of a silhouette target at ~15 yards, save for one flyer that blew out a tack we had used to pin up the target.

Haven't actually bought one yet, but I'm saving up for one, most likely a Rock Island 1911 in 9mm. First that someone bought for me was my pair of Nagant revolvers - both made in 1943 in the middle of war-torn Russia, one Tula and one Izzy. Still not sure which is worth more.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Um, I think you meant Browning.

First handgun shot: my Dad's Colt Officers Model Special .38. I was 7-8 yrs old. I still have it.
    First handgun owned: Ruger .22 Standard, given to me by my Dad when I was 10. Still have it.
    First handgun purchase: S&W 410 in .40S&W. Long gone.

You are correct. I have 4 kids under 7 so I get distracted. :-)

Top Bottom