WTH!!! Phil Robertson suspended from Duck Dynasty....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Seattle officials call for ban on 'potentially offensive' language

root_seattle_080213.jpg

Government workers in the city of Seattle have been advised that the terms "citizen" and "brown bag" are potentially offensive and may no longer be used in official documents and discussions.
    KOMO-TV reports that the city's Office of Civil Rights instructed city workers in a recent internal memo to avoid using the words because some may find them offensive.
    "Luckily, we've got options."​
    - Elliott Bronstein, Seattle's Office for Civil Rights
    "Luckily, we've got options," Elliott Bronstein of the Office for Civil Rights wrote in the memo obtained by the station. "For 'citizens,' how about 'residents?'"
    In an interview with Seattle's KIRO Radio, Bronstein said the term "brown bag" has been used historically as a way to judge skin color.
    "For a lot of particularly African-American community members, the phrase brown bag does bring up associations with the past when a brown bag was actually used, I understand, to determine if people's skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event or to come into a party that was being held in a private home," Bronstein said.

According to the memo, city employees should use the terms "lunch-and-learn" or "sack lunch" instead of "brown bag."
    Bronstein told KIRO Radio the word "citizen" should be avoided because many people who live in Seattle are residents, not citizens.

"They are legal residents of the United States and they are residents of Seattle. They pay taxes and if we use a term like citizens in common use, then it doesn't include a lot of folks," Bronstein said.
    Seattle, however, isn't the only city with an eye on potentially disruptive words.
    The New York Post reported in March 2012 that the city’s Department of Education avoids references to words like “dinosaurs,” “birthdays,” “Halloween” and dozens of other topics on city-issued tests because they could evoke “unpleasant emotions” among the students.

Read more: Seattle officials call for ban on 'potentially offensive' language | Fox News

I am nearly 70, have lived in every major city in the US to include Seattle. Been to all 50 states, most more than once and have spent time in most. I have heard the term 'brown bag' all my life and at no time have I EVER associated it with anything but a lunch sack, not blacks, browns or anything else.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Seattle officials call for ban on 'potentially offensive' language

root_seattle_080213.jpg

Government workers in the city of Seattle have been advised that the terms "citizen" and "brown bag" are potentially offensive and may no longer be used in official documents and discussions.
    KOMO-TV reports that the city's Office of Civil Rights instructed city workers in a recent internal memo to avoid using the words because some may find them offensive.
    "Luckily, we've got options."​
    - Elliott Bronstein, Seattle's Office for Civil Rights
    "Luckily, we've got options," Elliott Bronstein of the Office for Civil Rights wrote in the memo obtained by the station. "For 'citizens,' how about 'residents?'"
    In an interview with Seattle's KIRO Radio, Bronstein said the term "brown bag" has been used historically as a way to judge skin color.
    "For a lot of particularly African-American community members, the phrase brown bag does bring up associations with the past when a brown bag was actually used, I understand, to determine if people's skin color was light enough to allow admission to an event or to come into a party that was being held in a private home," Bronstein said.

According to the memo, city employees should use the terms "lunch-and-learn" or "sack lunch" instead of "brown bag."
    Bronstein told KIRO Radio the word "citizen" should be avoided because many people who live in Seattle are residents, not citizens.

"They are legal residents of the United States and they are residents of Seattle. They pay taxes and if we use a term like citizens in common use, then it doesn't include a lot of folks," Bronstein said.
    Seattle, however, isn't the only city with an eye on potentially disruptive words.
    The New York Post reported in March 2012 that the city’s Department of Education avoids references to words like “dinosaurs,” “birthdays,” “Halloween” and dozens of other topics on city-issued tests because they could evoke “unpleasant emotions” among the students.

Read more: Seattle officials call for ban on 'potentially offensive' language | Fox News

Damn!
    Just damn!

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    And of course the expected cave.

@TXARGUY: Much ado about nothing; "Duck Dynasty" will resume filming in January with the entire cast. #StandWithPhil A&E: 'Duck Dynasty' to resume filming with entire cast | KETK | East Texas News, Weather and Sports | Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville

Not sure where you get much ado about nothing. Almost everyone in the entire country was talking about this, even those who don't watch the show like myself. You can't buy that type of advertising, not even with a superbowl commercial.

I'm sure the "backlash" is being used right now by A&E's marketing department to justify the increase in the cost of commercials during that show, as well as cable and satellite fees. Heck, if I were them, I'd consider suspending someone else next Christmas too.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    The much ado about nothing was only a commentary on the 'much ado' that A&E created for themselves. They gained nothing but the ire of the vast majority.

That's all I meant.

I was a drummer boy for right in the case and stood with Phil from the beginning. I think it is pretty clear through my posts here and elsewhere that I was one of the ones helping to whip up the 'ado'.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    The much ado about nothing was only a commentary on the 'much ado' that A&E created for themselves. They gained nothing but the ire of the vast majority.

They gained publicity. The kind they couldn't buy with a 10 million dollar advertising campaign. Everyone in America is talking about Duck Dynasty and their merchandise (which I'm sure they have the rights to) is flying off the shelves.

To A&E, this isn't about standing with or against Phil. This is about making money, and they just made a boatload of it by attracting so much more attention to the most popular show in the history of cable. The closest thing I can remember to this much hoopla about a tv show was "who shot JR?"

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    The closest thing I can remember to this much hoopla about a tv show was "who shot JR?)

The new coke, Miley Cyrus twerk and anything Feinstien says generate "hoopla".
    News articles, TV discussions and threads on the internet all feed the machine.

Just like an obnoxious sibling, stop letting them know it bothers you and they go away.

If this whole DD thing was actual life and not fabricated, Phil and family should walk.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I'll stand by my post on here. Only question I have is if the family was in on the publicity stunt or not.

In other news Justin B. retired then didn't to promote his new movie and Molly Cyrus confirmed her skankiness in another video released or maked that "Leaked" today.

The common folks are new to this social media thing and they are playing against media experts who are fine tuning their skills and after our $$.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Interesting note to this, yesterday at Academy (no there wasn't any .22) I noticed all the Duck Dynasty merchandise on sale or on clearance and lots of Duck Commander items in the mainstream, not on sale.

Guess we know Academy's stance :-)

Sent from magic cutting board

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Interesting note to this, yesterday at Academy (no there wasn't any .22) I noticed all the Duck Dynasty merchandise on sale or on clearance and lots of Duck Commander items in the mainstream, not on sale.

Ha! They should have a sign outside that says if they have 22 or not.

Also about half of Academy is now DD gear.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Ha! They should have a sign outside that says if they have 22 or not.

Once the government implants are in place they could just beam .22 stock information directly to our brains.

Although, for some reason I doubt that kind of information will be allowed on the Great and Glorious State Resident Directive System (trademark pending).

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Once the government implants are in place they could just beam .22 stock information directly to our brains.

Although, for some reason I doubt that kind of information will be allowed on the Great and Glorious State Resident Directive System (trademark pending).

Im glad im a beta. It would be so hard to be an alpha.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

More like a store puts a clearance discount on items that aren't selling and charge full price for the stuff that sells well. Free market is supporting the Robertsons, too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Top Bottom