• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GKC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    San Angelo, Texas
    wastherea 30;06 sign? it was in the case correct ? then no it wouldnt have

There was no sign or otherwise indication that guns were not permitted. The gun was inside the manufacturer's case, which case was inside an opaque plastic bag...so it was not visible based on two layers of concealment.
    Hurley's Gold

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'm not a lawyer, but as I re-read the laws this morning, there was no distinction made as to the handgun being loaded or not. I guess the presumption in the law is that anyone carrying a gun would carry it loaded.

I agree. I've not memorized all the laws regarding carrying weapons but..........I've never come across one in Texas that differentiated between loaded or unloaded. I do know there are several states that have laws that to address guns being loaded or unloaded but I haven't seen any from Texas. If you've got hold of your case with the weapon in it, I can't see the legal difference between that and a fanny pack type carry. Kinda' like if a female had one in her purse. Assuming the person had a CHL.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Thanks...I had assumed that would be the case (no pun intended.)

However, what about someone who didn't have a CHL? Would that have been a violation of the law? I can see where it might be...I read the applicable law, and it doesn't make a distinction about loaded or unloaded. However, I think an argument could be made re intent and purpose.

Not a question I'd be eager to deal with, in reality!

That's a good question. I'll have to join you and hope that Txinvestigator weighs in.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    If you did not have a CHL, then I believe whether it would have been a violation would depend on how badly your vehicle needed that oil change. A person can buy a gun and carry it home, and it is OK to make stops which are necessary to the journey.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I think if I left the house to buy a gun, I would have transportation lined up, but that's just me.

Remember the law was changed in 2007 to allow car carry. Before that, for a long time, people could legally buy guns and carry them home. There is a history of judicial decisions. But, a stop which is not necessary to the journey (such as grocery shopping) would be unlawful carry.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Remember the law was changed in 2007 to allow car carry. Before that, for a long time, people could legally buy guns and carry them home. There is a history of judicial decisions. But, a stop which is not necessary to the journey (such as grocery shopping) would be unlawful carry.

Is this coinciding with Charlie's question that I was replying to?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Let me put it a different way. If I lived in an apartment in downtown or surrounding San Antonio and I walked to a gun store a short distance and bought a pistol, is there any legal way for me to carry it back to my apartment (assuming I did not have a CHL)? I've not been able to find a law applicable to this situation.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Let me put it a different way. If I lived in an apartment in downtown or surrounding San Antonio and I walke to a gun store a short distance and bought a pistol, is there any legal way for me to carry it back to my apartment (assuming I did not have a CHL)? I've not been able to find a law applicable to this situation.

There is case law.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    There is case law on everything, sooner or later. I'm not walking to buy a gun, I was just wondering how someone would buy one if they didn't have their own vehicle. Guess we will have to wait until someone is arrested for it and see how they come out in court.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The easiest answer is a question: Why not simply go home, drop the gun off, then get the oil change? Shouldn't take that much more time, and completely eliminates the issue. With a CHL, the OP was fine, but I'm talking about if it was a person that did not.

The OP has a CHL, and did not violate any laws. The law does not make any distinction between on or off body carry, therefore it's up to everyone how they want to do it.

As far as the academic side of things, lets refer back to 46.02 and see what the law actually says:

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.

(a)
    A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the
    person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:
    (A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;
    (B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
    (C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

(a-3) For purposes of this section, "watercraft" means any boat, motorboat, vessel, or personal watercraft, other than a seaplane on water, used or capable of being used for transportation on water.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
    (c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

So basically, the customer wouldn't be on their own premises and would not be in control of the premises. In this case the person is just a customer and was never given some authorization of control of the premises by the owner.

In addition to that, the customer would not be inside a motor vehicle/watercraft owned by them or under their control, and it is highly debatable whether they are "en route" to the vehicle. It specifically states directly en route. My take on it is that the actions of taking the gun in to the waiting area, even though it is concealed, would be a violation of 46.02.

Considering all of that, why not take steps to better avoid situations like this in the first place? Take that quick trip home and drop the gun off before doing what else you might need to do. Also, for $20-75 get a Gunvault compact safe and secure it in your trunk or wherever else you can in a discreet manner. Whenever these situations come up, you can stow whatever you need to, and in a situation like this it's doubtful an employee is going to mess with it as they probably don't have enough time and opportunity. I liken it to the question I commonly hear from parents, "What if my kid gets a hold of it?". The easy answer is DON'T LET THEM! With all of the compact safes available nowadays, that $20-75 will go a long way towards mitigating these situations.

GKC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    San Angelo, Texas
    Considering all of that, why not take steps to better avoid situations like this in the first place? Take that quick trip home and drop the gun off before doing what else you might need to do. Also, for $20-75 get a Gunvault compact safe and secure it in your trunk or wherever else you can in a discreet manner.

While it wasn't urgent (I wasn't having engine trouble) I stopped because it was almost closing time at Jiffy Lube, and we live outside of town. I couldn't have made it home and back in time...I could have come back the next day, granted, but since I do have a CHL I felt like I could take the gun inside the waiting area since it was concealed by the case and by the opaque bag.

I do have a small gun safe in my car, chained underneath one of the captain's chairs in the second row of seats. (My Expedition doesn't have a trunk.) It is a small safe, though, and won't accommodate a 5" 1911. My 4" M&P 45c or 3" M&P Shield fit in it, and they are my usual carry.

I didn't think I would be in violation, or I wouldn't have risked it. The first part of my question was to confirm that. The second part of my question was, "What if I didn't have a CHL?"

Top Bottom