Why S&W and Colt have more succes than Ruger ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    The only colt data I had was manufacture data that was reported to the atf.

So then what does Prove something? The goal of politicians is to win elections. It seems that from one election to the next, people change their minds about the importance of raising the most money based on the results of the previous election. This differs from corporations whose focus is on earning money for shareholders CEOs.
    FIFY

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Ruger Super Blackhawks are awesome guns. They can take some extremely hot loads Many of the loading manuals loads indicate that they use one to test their loads. I have one in 44 mag, and its as smooth as silk and very accurate. I think it was built in the late 80's.

I also have a S&W 629. Its a work of art. As is my dad's S&W revolver from the 50's. I need to get some pics back on here so yall can help me figure out which model it is.

It seems that the Colts I hear people talking about always need some tweaking to be optimal. For the price it seems they should be that way out of the box.

If I was buying a revolver today it would likely be a Ruger. If I was buying a SA pistol it would likely be a Sig.

Too bad this Biden economy costs so much to live. I haven't been able to afford a single gun since he took office.

Last edited:

Catherine1

May 10, 2021
    USA
    I think that SMITH and WESSON and RUGER are MORE successful than Colt handguns (And rifles.) but I could be WRONG.

COLT had a history or only catering to the military for a time frame while they IGNORED their other base of BUYERS/SHOOTERS in MY opinion.

It is my opinion and you know what people say about opinions. Grin. We ALL have them - right, wrong or in the middle depending on who you ask!

I did tons of research before I bought my now former handguns and rifles too. I started buying and choosing what I, alone, wanted to OWN and SHOOT.

I still shoot the last 2 rifles in the CZ brand that I gave to my Montana husband.

CZ 457 Lux in 22wmr and in 22lr.

Former FAVORITE handguns which I think are far MORE POPULAR than the Colt handguns.

ALL of my guns, handguns and rifles, were bought NIB. Back east and out here. I NEVER OWNED a shotgun but I did consider it on and off.

I have only BOUGHT and owned handguns in the GLOCK brand - Generation 3 - Model 19. Back east and out here.

I have only BOUGHT and owned SMITH and WESSON - all d/a CF and RF shy of the S&W Model 41 and Model 22A = semi automatic 22lr pistols.

I was GIFTED 2 S&W Model 29s in a 29-2 and a 29-3 which I did NOT ASK FOR and was shocked in getting. I did shoot a Model 29 at an event too. I did NOT own it.

I did RENT a S&W 629 (Stainless steel with a Hogue grip.) and shoot it with my late husband at my former old gun store, back east, where I bought about 15 or so guns in a few years. Circa late 90's and on to 2001.

I shot 44Magnum but mostly 44Special ammunition out of the RENTED GUN and with the GIFTED GUNS. Plus at a shooting event in Colorado with a gun that my close Nam Veteran, gun and political friend, now dead, wanted me to shoot. He was another good man, one of my BEST friends and may he continue to rest in peace.

I ONLY BOUGHT SINGLE ACTION REVOLVERS in the RUGER BRAND - 22lr/22wmr single actions - super single convertible models AND in RUGER BLACKHAWKS in 45Long Colt = back east and in 357Magnum - out here.

I did BUY and shoot a BEAUTIFUL special run of a RUGER s/a revolver that was made in 22lr only. Late 90's to 2001 but I crs on the exact year now. That one RUGER 'run' was popular down the road when I sold it.

I did buy and own that ITALIAN 'Navy' s/a revolver in black powder and I CRS (Can't remember s!) now if it was an Uberti or a Pietta now. I never did shoot it or LEARN IT due to my late husband's cancer discovery and death.

I gifted that Italian, black powder, BEAUTIFUL s/a revolver and ALL of the stuff for it, back east. after my late husband died to a close friend, ARMY Veteran. a man who was on GROUND ZERO - 9/11 too who was/is like a nephew to my late husband and me. He moved back to his home state which was my late husband's home state - farm/lake country - Great Lakes region.

By going by what I have BOUGHT in the past and WHAT I would still buy if I was STILL shooting handguns now which I am NOT doing DUE to my old lady hand issues... I think that my choices and buying decisions are more POPULAR and not just by doing my own RESEARCH in reading, looking and handling guns as a NEWBIE gun lady in her late 40's - late 90's. I am now 74 years old.

The VERY FEW other handguns and rifles, about 5 in my late husband's lifetime that HE CHOSE to buy in ONLY 22lr and in 357Magnum calibers, don't count and I ONLY considered one of them a HOUSE GUN for me to use. That beautiful DAN WESSON blued/walnut grip, d/a revolver in 357Magnum.

I did NOT own a Colt rifle.

I did BUY, own and was gifted out here several TOP name brands (Made in CT Marlins, Browning, Winchester, Henry, etc.) in RF and CF BEAUTIFUL lever action rifles, a Stevens Favorite made by Savage, 2 Rascals made by Savage gifted to our range, and a few CZ bolt action rifles too.

I only bought and owned ONE as in 1 semi automatic rifle in my ENTIRE life by choice. A sweet MADE IN CT Marlin Papoose TAKE DOWN rifle. It was in stainless steel, black composite stock with the BLUE carry bag.

I preferred RF and CF LEVER ACTION rifles, the single shot rifle with a falling block action ala the Stevens Favorite, the Rascals and the SWEET bolt action CZ rifles which I discovered later on in my life.

I told my late husband about one of the famous COLT semi automatic rifles that was at my old gun store back east. I do NOT remember the model or number of it and it was expensive. I was buying my OWN GUNS out of my own savings by MY choice. He told me that I should buy it and he would give me the money for that COLT or ANY other gun that I really wanted since he BELIEVED (Me too!) that Clinton, Reno, D/R CONGRESS, the ATF, etc. would SCREW US EVEN MORE in the RKBA issue!

Late 90's time frame.

But I did NOT LOVE or fall in love with that Colt rifle so I declined his offer.

TODAY, many younger and even OLDER people do not even remember the magazine CAPACITY limits which did not bother me (Your mileage may vary - NO SWEAT!) with my FIRST HANDGUN WHICH WAS THE GLOCK bought back there. This was just before or right after the Colorado school shootings time frame.

I do NOT agree with bans, magazine capacity limits, etc. when it comes to the RKBA issue!

The guns that I chose were ones that I liked for their own simplicity, BRAND NAME RELIABILITY, warranty, beautiful LOOKS even if OTHER people don't like them for ANY REASON, some people hate Glock pistols and some people hate OLD FASHIONED GUN LOOKS that I LOVE, cleaning them, where handguns AND rifles can SHARE AMMUNTION as in pistol caliber rifles, etc. Some people don't LOVE or even LIKE lever action rifles or bolt action rifles too!

They ONLY like/love, buy and shoot semi automatic pistols and rifles. I have NO problem with what they choose to BUY, OWN and SHOOT!

At the Camp Perry shooting events, the dealers who showed up had a LOT of BEAUTIFUL Colt collector guns and beaucoup other TOP brand names in guns.

I have never owned a Colt s/a revolver but I do LOVE the looks of many of them!

I LOVE the history of COLT guns and I used to have some gun books with ALL KINDS of pictures and history about them. Bought on sale - coffee table books and ones with GREAT PICTURES IN THEM. RL Wilson was the author if my memory serves me right. He was very WELL KNOWN in the COLT firearms world.

He wrote many books, did appraisals, etc. if my memory is correct for ALL kinds of guns and not only COLT firearms.

I had the FAMOUS BIG RUGER BOOK too. The author who got into trouble with his COLT valuations (?) even though MANY of his supporters said that he was honest but some did not in the end (?), selling, etc. He KNEW his RUGER guns too! RL Wilson wrote MY former RUGER BIG BOOK. That OLD NEWS was in the CT newspapers and in the GUN news online. I think that RL WILSON died several years ago.

I happen to think that RUGER single action revolvers in 22lr/22wmr and RUGER Blackhawks in 45Long Colt and in 357Magnum are not only BEAUTIFUL but they shoot straight and are BUILT like tanks!

I LOVE, love and love the RUGER brand in s/a revolvers, the only ones that I personally owned, SMITH and WESSON handguns, and the GLOCK Generation 3 pistols in 9mm.

My MT husband owns his Glock pistols in .380 acp and in 45acp. He sold all of the 9mm pistols.

I have NEVER OWNED any 45acp pistol or a .380 pistol in ANY brand.

He has owned MANY S&W, MANY Ruger, several Kimber, several Colt pistols (4?) but I only saw, know about and shot his LAST and FORMER COLT Woodsman one, Freedom Arms out of WY, etc. and CUSTOM made handguns compared to me.

Your mileage may vary on Colt firearms. NO problem!

Catherine

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Seems pretty subjective to me, I like what I like. Being a simple guy it sounds like the Red v Blue, Chevy v Ford, my team is better than your team type of argument.
    I have and have shot a bit with all of them, even among the same brand and model, there are guns I simply like better.
    How weird is that Mal?

CHRISGO

Lifetime Member
    Feb 16, 2023
    Muleshoe, Texas
    Well, I agree with most of what has been said here. I have version of all three. I have been doing my own gunsmithing for years. I've had to do trigger jobs on all my Ruger pistols. My S&W 686 guns just a grip swap. Not going to comment on my new Python, it needs work too. Right now my Ruger GP100 is my favorite to shoot. Yes it's heavy but it's easy on my old hands.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I do want to try a Colt Python someday for comparison.

<>

Please do !

It is “Je ne sais quois” for me, but the Python just gives me confidence.

Back in the 1970’s when I really shot a lot of 1911’s, whenever I was having a bad day with one of my 1911’s, I’d pull out the Python and all was instantly well again.

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom