• ...and so much more!
  • Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I bought my first revolver for all the good reasons, 1. It looked cool. Thats it. It is a Ruger Blackhawk .45, 7.5 barrel. It showed up in a pawn shop that I went to regularly. The shop was next door to the shop I worked at. I hung out there at lunch, because it was air conditioned, and the owner seemed like a regular joe. I paid way too much for it but did not know any better. Some 50 years later I now have several more, including S&W, Colt, and Pietta. That Ruger has taken just about everything (legal) that runs or crawls. It was hanging on my side this morning when I took Luna for our morning walk/run. It is hanging by the front door now, waiting for whatever comes. My wife likes her Glock, but then, she's nice to the dog, so I don't hold it against her.
    Gun Zone Deals

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    The first revolver I ever shot was a .44 mag from mithchintx. I sadly think he's deceased. I was a complete newb and that one incident at Hicksville made me a revolver fanboi. The first ones I got were on a fire sale at GT Distributors - Puerto Rican police pistols - .38 special, .357 mag. Both blew me away with the accuracy I could get. Maybe it's my physiology, but I just shoot revolvers better than semi-auto pistols. I think my favorite cartridge is a .357 mag. I've got pistols and rifles chambered in it. Talking about battered wrists - the only gun that gave me that was a .500 mag. That thing hurt - for days.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    Srs,

Thanks for the tip on the more manageable .357 Corbon cartridges.

Full power .357 is too punishing a round for me in both muzzle blast and over the top recoil...
    Yeah, shooting full power 158 grain loads *hurts* unless you have a very heavy revolver with big cushy neoprene grips. My first .357mag was a Colt Trooper Mk. III back in the late 1970s. It had a 6" barrel and was still a beast to fire with factory 158 grain ammo.

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Hmmm - I love shooting those - never bothered me. You feel like you're doing something with them.
    I always preferred 125gr. It has a very good street rep
    Point Blur_Aug112022_180512.jpg

retrieverman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2019
    Texas
    I’ve had an on and off love affair with a Smith 637 for close to 20 years, and it probably my single most carried gun since getting my first CHL in 1996. I started carrying it again about 3 years ago, and it’s kind of spurred me back into revolvers. I recently picked up a Kimber K6 and have been carrying it for a few weeks.
    I’ve accumulated a few revolvers over the years, but I could get rid of all Smith 637 and never miss them.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    I’ve had an on and off love affair with a Smith 637 for close to 20 years, and it probably my single most carried gun since getting my first CHL in 1996. I started carrying it again about 3 years ago, and it’s kind of spurred me back into revolvers. I recently picked up a Kimber K6 and have been carrying it for a few weeks.
    I’ve accumulated a few revolvers over the years, but I could get rid of all Smith 637 and never miss them.
    Of all the J-frames I still like the Airweight Bodyguard the best. Snag free, but you can still cock the hammer. So light you forget you're carrying.

I use mine with Hornady Critical Defense 110 grain. It just makes the FBI recommended 12" penetration in ballistic gel. Yet it's a standard velocity load so the recoil is greatly reduced. +Ps are a bit much in those tiny guns.

retrieverman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2019
    Texas
    I have a Smith 649 bodyguard. The 637 is an airweight which is why I like carrying it.
    The advantage of the K6 is that it’s basically the same size as a j frame but has a 6 round cylinder. It’s heavier than I prefer for carry, but the trigger is amazing.

SrsTwist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Austin
    For a .357mag I'd like to try a Chiappa Rhino. The lower bore axis (it fires from the bottom chamber on the cylinder) reduces felt recoil and increases controllability. The flattened cylinder sides reduces width and increase concealability. Yes, a striker-fired revolver is weird and it's the ugliest revolver on the market, but I'd try it.

chiappa_rhino.jpg

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    For a .357mag I'd like to try a Chiappa Rhino. The lower bore axis (it fires from the bottom chamber on the cylinder) reduces felt recoil and increases controllability. The flattened cylinder sides reduces width and increase concealability. Yes, a striker-fired revolver is weird and it's the ugliest revolver on the market, but I'd try it.

View attachment 338190
    The triggers feel like a bag of hammer heads. You'll understand if you mess with one.

They are also very unforgiving of improper grip

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Wild West Guns in Anchorage does a nice custom lightened and tuned Ruger Alaskan they call their Wolverine conversion. But they're so hideously expensive I'll never be able to afford one.

Why did you post that? Now I'll have to spend days convincing myself that I really don't need one.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Started with wheelguns 40 years ago with a Dan Wesson .357. I have had a .357 of some sort ever since. Owned Smith and Wesson, Ruger ,Colt , Rossi ,Freedom Arms ,Taurus, H&R , and even a RG. Smiths rose to my favorites very quickly. I have 3 N-frames and a L-frame. My favorite load for the 357 is a hbwc reversed, old school but very effective. Just got 500 148 gn hbwc to load . Mild recoil quick recovery to next shot, accurate to boot. My current favorite wheelgun to carry is a S&W 696 5 shot 44 spl loaded with 215 hbwc. It has had an action job among other goodies. I just sent a S&W model 520 n-frame .357 with 4" barrel off the get the works done to it. Can't wait to get it back. To say the least I love wheelguns. Be careful they tend to lead to more wheelguns. Welcome the the club.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    The key to shooting a j frame trigger double action is being able to feel that "spot" where the cylinder quits rotating and the sear breaks. Practice using the trigger to just rotate the cylinder, hold it, aim add another couple pounds of trigger and boom. It's almost like having a single action when you get good at it.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Started with wheelguns 40 years ago with a Dan Wesson .357. I have had a .357 of some sort ever since. Owned Smith and Wesson, Ruger ,Colt , Rossi ,Freedom Arms ,Taurus, H&R , and even a RG. Smiths rose to my favorites very quickly. I have 3 N-frames and a L-frame. My favorite load for the 357 is a hbwc reversed, old school but very effective. Just got 500 148 gn hbwc to load . Mild recoil quick recovery to next shot, accurate to boot. My current favorite wheelgun to carry is a S&W 696 5 shot 44 spl loaded with 215 hbwc. It has had an action job among other goodies. I just sent a S&W model 520 n-frame .357 with 4" barrel off the get the works done to it. Can't wait to get it back. To say the least I love wheelguns. Be careful they tend to lead to more wheelguns. Welcome the the club.
    In a word, Addictive

Top Bottom