Hurley's Gold

Why did the shooting areas in the Sam Houston Nat. Forest close?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    There are three or four areas in the SHNF that used to be set aside for target shooting but are now closed. I've found two and the gates of the service roads were locked. I called and asked the park ranger if the areas were accessible, but he said they'd been closed for years. I forgot to ask him why - does anyone know about these areas? I found out about them after finding an old posting from Google when searching for non-commercial places to shoot. I'll try to dig up the link, but here are the locations

30.579214,-95.67835 1375 > NF215 (stay left at Stubblefield Rd., County Line Rd. > NF208a
    30.48391,-95.270132 3081 > 1725 > FS255 > take first right
    30.541836,-95.159443 2025 - 2.1 mi. south of 150 > right @ FS200 > .6 mi > turn right & go another .5 mi.
    Gun Zone Deals

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    The reason they closed them is simple, People trashed them, they left old shot up PC's, dishwashers, and other household goods plus targets out there and did not pick up there garbage. The one by Stubblefield caught on fire and burned part of the forest. On the other hand most average shooters did pick up the old targets and brass and did not make a mess, but all it took was a few bad apples to spoil the whole thing.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    I can not recall the year, but they did leave it open at the first of hunting season for sighting in rifles but that got done away with because of the same reason the first round. I think it was in 03 but don't hold me to that.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    All it takes is a few. I have a second home in New Mexico and there is lots of BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land open for whatever you want to do. It's "public land" and out there the admin people are very open to shooters and will suggest a number of places that you can go to shoot.

Having said that, whenever I go out there it just amazes me how many people leave tons of tash. I'm talking old PC monitors, microwaves, BBQ grills etc that have been used as targets. Sometimes I take my small trailer and try to police up as much trash as I can haul, more so that I have a clean place to shoot. One trip I was loading the trailer and a BLM law enforcement officer drove up and asked what I was doing, guess he thought I was dumping. I explained and his attitude immediately changed. Seems he had never found anyone actually CLEANING UP the area. Anyone using the forests might consider doing a weekend cleanup operation coordinated with the Forest Service guys. That might help a ton.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I explained and his attitude immediately changed. Seems he had never found anyone actually CLEANING UP the area. Anyone using the forests might consider doing a weekend cleanup operation coordinated with the Forest Service guys. That might help a ton.
    It could be something like what the mountain biking groups do for trails. In exchange for being able to ride trails on a property, they make a deal to help maintain the trails, clean up, repair any erosion or damage, and help with new construction. There were some trails in Memorial Park in Houston that would have been closed to bikes if GHORBA and IMBA hadn't stepped up and offered their help.

Then again, hauling off someone's dishwasher ain't quite the same thing.

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    I shot there a lot and always loaded the trash in the back of my truck when I left. It is a shame soem bad apple ruined it for us all.

Top Bottom