• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I found this Mossberg 308 bolt action rifle. Any thoughts on it? I am mostly getting it as a practice rifle to learn how to shoot better. I know growing up my dad wasn't a fan of Mossberg for shotguns. I didn't even know they made rifles lol. They also have it in a 30-06.
    Hurley's Gold

Doons

FJB
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    Fort Worth
    I had a Patriot in .308. It was responsible for the demise of 7 or 8 pigs. I bought the version that came with a Vortex scope. We lost access to the place where we hunted and I have moved on to fishing more often, so I sold the rifle. I probably had 2 to 300 rounds thru it on the range. My hunting partner who now lives in NE Arkansas has taken a good number of deer with their Patriot .308. I had zero issues with the rifle, it was accurate out to150yds and functioned flawlessly from the first round to the last I put thru it. It was made well and fit and finish was very good. If I need a rifle in the future, I would buy another Patriot. It’s great “Bang” for the Buck in my opinion.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    What's the purpose of the rifle?
    Target shooting?
    Plinking?
    Hunting?
    Just a have a rifle?
    I suppose that would be helpful lol. It’ll be my first bolt action rifle. Its purpose is target shooting/ long range. I’m trying to learn more about shooting and optics. All around just to learn how to shoot and learn how scopes work and tweaking them at different ranges. I guess to also teach more about different types of ammo as well.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I have a maverick .30-06. I don't even think it has a model name. I paid between 100 and 250 dollars for it well over 10 years ago.

It's been awhile since i shot it, but iirc 3 MOA was average.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Most off the shelf rifles are fine these days. Machining has come along ways so even low end rifles will typically give good groups. Differences with show more if target shooting or heating up the barrel. But for hunting just about any of them do the job fine.

That’s not to say some won’t have a smoother bolt or nicer trigger. But you don’t need to spend a lot of money to get a good hunting rifle.

For long range, maybe step up a little. You’ll want a little more consistency. At that point the debate on what to buy gets more interesting. Everyone had a favorite.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    6 arc
    6 creedmoor
    6.5 creedmoor
    6.5 prc
    7mm-08
    7mm mag
    7mm prc
    300 prc
    Just to name some basics.
    For long range target shooting heavy barreled rifles are required for good accuracy.
    There's a large amount to learn and understand about the sport. And it can get expensive.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Ten year old Mossberg MVP Varmint. Solid rifle.

1715807423170.png

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    It looks like a very nice rifle, but it depends on what you mean by long-range- that would be fine for targets out to 500 yds; good for deer to around 300 yds. Mossberg used to pair with vortex scopes, not sure about this package.

Is out of stock in your link. This link below doesn't charge sales tax usually and Family Firearms are good-to-go.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I have one in 243 for the wife and it shoots pretty good. Only been able to shoot it at 300 but it hits everything we point it at. I personally like the ruger American over the patriot though in that price range.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Consider the caliber, not only for the level of power but for the cost of the ammunition. .30-06, .308, .30-30, and a few others are readily available everywhere and generally cost less than some of the more exotic cartridges ( anything with "arc", "creedmore", "prc", etc.) Some of the smaller calibers - like .223 or 7.62x39 - are great for plinking but not particularly the best for hunting. There are some great magnums out there, but ammo will be more expensive, the recoil could be brutal, and most will probably exceed the power level you need for just about any game in Texas.

Look around, there are many good deals on bolt action rifles, new and used, this time of year as people change to newer equipment.

Consider that whatever you spend on the rifle, you'll probably have to spend half that much again for the optics. In other words, if you spend the money for a $1000 rifle, you'll want a scope good enough to match the quality and it will be $500, give or take a bit. Good optics can make a mediocre rifle a decent shooter.

Finally, don't waste your time with add-ons that you don't need. No lasers, no bi-pods, no fancy ammo carriers. It is a good idea to have a hard-sided case for a scoped rifle. That's one thing that can help you prevent having the scope being knocked out of place.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    It looks like a very nice rifle, but it depends on what you mean by long-range- that would be fine for targets out to 500 yds; good for deer to around 300 yds. Mossberg used to pair with vortex scopes, not sure about this package.

Is out of stock in your link. This link below doesn't charge sales tax usually and Family Firearms are good-to-go.

I don't much care about the scope. I would probably buy a different one anyway. The scopes that come with guns aren't always that great correct? It's like buying a prebuilt gaming computer. Usually has some of the cheapest parts available in it. I would like to be able to shoot out to about 800 yds. Once I get that down then I can upgrade to a nicer rifle for further distances if needed. Right now I basically want something that good quality and accurate and try hopefully under $1000 that I can learn all the fundamentals of shooting on. Learn how to 0 in a scope and different ranges and learn about different ammo types/ grains and how they affect shooting at various distances.I am completely new to shooting beyond just casually shooting at the range. Oh yeah I am also left handed so I need a bolt action for a lefty lol.

I think I might even start developing a range app to help calculate adjustments and compile data.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robertmb3
    Top Bottom