• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bfm0072

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Georgetown
    Hen I lived in Mexico Indiana(dad was in the Air Force) there was a family friend who showed me his pistol and his deer rifle. I do not know what kind of pistol it was, I think it was a .22, ivory looking handles I. A bus a deep style rig. At that moment in time I fell in love with handguns. I never shot with him but he started my love of guns at that exact moment.
    Lynx Defense

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    daffygunshot.jpg

Attachments

• daffygunshot.jpg
      daffygunshot.jpg
      27.5 KB · Views: 518

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I've thought of many while pondering this question.
    Some friends who just made any rifle their bitch.
    Grandpa who never missed with his shotgun.
    Others who worked magic with handguns.
    Final answer, Dad. He taught me at an early age.
    He entrusted me with the key to the gun cabinet.
    He saw that I knew the maintenance was as important as the accuracy and marksmanship. He expected any firearm in the battery was clean and ready by my hand. He wasn't harsh or lazy. He was working long hours in the fields and identified my curiosity and taught me as he had time. It was as common to hear "bring me a shotgun" as it was to hear "I need a Philips screwdriver".

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I wish I had fam that was into guns.
    I’m the only one.

So my inspiration was Guns and Ammo magazine, and the like.

I’ve always had a natural affinity for mechanical things like cars guns, watches, tanks battleships, etc...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Other than that Border Patrol Agent, like you a lot of my influence was magazines, I used to love Outdoor Life, Field & Stream and Sports Afield - in that order of preference. Late on, when I was in the BP, I liked Soldier of Fortune - lots of macho BS but also great news worthy articles about little heard of wars (often reported on by the major media networks and newspapers after first reporte don months earlier in SOF magazine) and excellent articles on guns.

Except for me my family during my childhood and upbringing was not gun oriented. I envy those here who had their dad's teach them - my mom and dad divorced when I as about 8 - he was not a nice guy or a good husband or father. Somehow, my mom sent me to summer camp - where I first learned to shoot so she was very important in my love of shooting too but she never let me buy a gun to keep in our apartment when I lived at home. I do not know how she paid for camp since we were dirt poor. As she often said: "We did not have a pot to pee in, the window to throw it out of nor the ground to catch it". Anyway, the brothers who range the camp, especially the two who ran the rifle range were also instrumental in getting me into firearms and shooting - in fact they were the first oens who taught me to shoot. Brother John & Brother Richard as best I recall, Catholic Marist Brothers at Taconic Lodge near Cold Spring, NY. (My son went to camp for one year in NH and amazingly Brother Richard ran that camp when my son was there.)

As I said above, I taught my son & daughter to shoot and my son remains into shooting & hunting and will for a lifetime. If he ever marries and has children, I am sure he will bring them into it as well. I forever will be grateful to that nameless Border Patrol Agent for getting me going with shooting as an adult and getting me doing it right; thus leading up to the point where I got my son into shooting as well.

Sorry for the long posts but nostalgia has gotten the better of me.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I guess it was Barack Obama. Since my Dad was never much of a hunter or shooter, although he did teach me the basic safety rules and how to line up the sights. He only owned one firearm, a Remington 22lr bolt action. No such thing as plinking or target practice. He wasn't one to waste ammo on such silly things. He might have put one box of 50 through that rifle throughout my childhood at home.

The threat of gun bans and the ammo shortage right after Sandy Hook are what really got me interested again in firearms and shooting.

Last edited:

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    In Person? Moonpie.. in general probably Nutnfancy. I never had a family member or friend who really turned me onto guns. I got into it myself and learned from the net and then more about different guns from shooting them. Moon has let me shoot the most variety of firearms I've ever fired.

Moon is an awesome, generous enabler to be sure.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I’d have to say my uncle who once took me up to Camp Perry with his family (my aunt & two boy cousins). He was an Army combat veteran (Bronze Star, twice) of the Korean War - he never talked about it. He transferred to the Air Force after the Korean War, did a couple tours in Nam and retired as an E8 or E9. He shot competitively on the Air Force pistol (1911) team.

Had a single shot .22 - Winchester Boy’s Rifle - since about age five or six. As young farm boys growing up in Kentucky, older brother and I used to compete shooting Water Moccasins across the creek from the house.

Last edited:

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    In 10th grade, my buddy brought a copy of Shotgun News and a Brownells catalog to 2nd period Anatomy & Physiology class. Instead of dissecting a cat we were picking out accessories for his Ruger Mark II. It never stopped from there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    My father was the one who got me into shooting & guns. From the time i was 3 sitting on his lap & shooting beer cans on tree limbs with his 20ga Winchester skeet gun. To buying me my 1st bb pistol at 7, then a .410 H&R single shot shotgun when i was 8.
    Not to mention all the nights we spent watching WW2 movies & Spaghetti westerns that were filled with cool guys & guns.

Edit: cant forget when i was 3 or so. Our neighbor brought over a pair of nickel plated revolvers in leather western style holsters. He had some sort of certificate about them being John Wayne commemorative pistols. Dont remember the history but definitely remember holding one in my hand.

Last edited:

just country

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Kilomenjaro sp. Joe,
    Col. Jeb Cooper and Mr. Gibbs. I still read there writings and books.
    justme gbot tum

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If I had to pick a person it would be my dad. He is generally just a hunter that gets them out once a year as a tool. Not a gun guy but a gun is a tool to hunt with guy.

Plinking in the woods was fun as hell but didn't happen often.

Years later I bought a house in the country and defense became a concern. I picked up the basics for home defense and became hooked.

My new gun addiction drug me into politics with the expiring of Clinton's AWB. My new interests in politics and guns fueled each other and here I am now.

Honestly it pissed me off that my brother was a LEO and could buy full capacity mags even though he only shot to qualify. I could only get 10 rounders that I was constantly reloading. I just couldn't understand why so it fueled a fire to push back.

Top Bottom