• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    For me it was a nameless Border Patrol Agent on temporary assignment to the Border Patrol Academy as a firearms instructor, who took the time & effort to teach me how to shoot while I was in the Border Patrol Academy. He took the most miserable shooter in my class and turned me into a pretty good shot with a passion for firearms and shooting that has lasted a lifetime and that I passed onto others on the job and eventually to my son. Of course, he had/has a name, I just cannot remember it. Wish I could remember his name to be able to track him down and tell him how it all turned out.
    Hurley's Gold

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    A retired gentleman who opened a gun shop, his lifelong dream, near my home when I was in high school. I stopped in to buy ammo and bought a Lee Loader to reload .38 special for the only firearm I owned - a beat up old .S&W .38. He ended up giving me an antique (his first) Pacific press and other reloading equipment and teaching me to use it. He then invited me to his home on the outskirts of town where he had a short, outdoor pistol range and I tried out my first reloded ammo. He went out of business soon after and I left for college.
    That was over 40 years ago, but it ignited a love for all things gun-related.

I regret I don't remember his name, but I could take you straight to the spot where he lived. There is now a big biker-bar/ saloon where his gun range once sat.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    As a young cubscout 65 years ago I had my introduction into shooting a Marlin 22 bolt action while at cub scout camp. Good instruction from a great counsellor. Nobody in my family had a firearm. I saved my money and bought one at age 12 or so. Just went into a store by myself, cash in hand and bought one. This was in New York City too. Still have it.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    My Dad and my uncle who shot competitively. They use to take me out to ARC when I was around 5 and I would go down range to reset targets and mostly collect mangled bullets on the berm. My uncle had a small range on his property where I started shooting .22 around 7 and then got my first. 22 at 8 for Christmas.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    rambo2-1560876231-726x388.jpg

Attachments

• rambo2-1560876231-726x388.jpg
      rambo2-1560876231-726x388.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 569

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My dad. Watching him clean and polish that big silver looking pistol, then watching him walk around in his uniform with that pistol strapped on his side was magic to me.

Every now then I take that big silver pistol out of my safe and spin the cylinder a couple times. Its hasn't been shot in close to 20 years.

We hunted on my grandparents farm in OK, and then my grandmother cooked the critters we killed for dinner.

Bought me my first 22 at age 12. Bought me my first shotgun at age 14. We shared a deer rifle for years.

My memories of shooting that 38 as a child are ingrained in my brain forever.

Last edited:

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I wish I had fam that was into guns.
    I’m the only one.

So my inspiration was Guns and Ammo magazine, and the like.

I’ve always had a natural affinity for mechanical things like cars guns, watches, tanks battleships, etc...

I hear you on that as I also was the only one into guns in my family and to top that off I was born in Hanoi Hawaii and then moved to Commiefornia where I stayed until I graduated high school after which I promptly left CA.

When I was growing up the equivalent of going out to the range to shoot was watching the A-Team on TV. Watching one of the many cool action movies of the 80's with a lot of gun action was a real treat. :green:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Walt. A much older friend. He was doing those cowboy competitions. In my early 20’s he would give me work on the farm and some of that included pest control. He didn’t make a lot of money. I rarely got paid with money. Most of the time I was rewarded with friendship and knowledge about cowboy action shooting and reloading. He had this old vaquero in 44-40 that was a sweet shooter. Sure I was already into guns but he had a huge role in my evolution as a gun owner and a man.

Top Bottom