• Do you have a Tourniquet?

• Total voters

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I don't have to reread it. Just wanted to post an example.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That's fine, but it was a "reply". My O.P. has repeatedly been mis-quoted and mis-characterized. I never said they were useless and I never said to not carry them.

What I did say was that their use in civilian trauma has been over-stressed. And I do believe that a more likely useful item in "life-saving" is an airway assist device.

leVieux
    ARJ Defense ad

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    That's fine, but it was a "reply". My O.P. has repeatedly been mis-quoted and mis-characterized. I never said they were useless and I never said to not carry them.

What I did say was that their use in civilian trauma has been over-stressed. And I do believe that a more likely useful item in "life-saving" is an airway assist device.

leVieux
    Of all the civilian trauma I have seen innthe field, a TQ was by far the most frequently needed/used. Airway assist (NP tube) has maybe been critical in 1/10th the number of the cases a TQ was critical to survival.

Anecdotal, but what Andre3k and I deal with on a daily basis is much closer to combat than many people think. Np tubes are small, minimal risk, easy to use items. I carry one, but they used infrequently compared to a TQ and IME are less likely to cause a death if not used.

Part of the issue is very few are trained on NP tubes. I am not formally trained, I am self taught and thats a risk many understandably wont take.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

crystalphoto

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2022
    Bethune, South Carolina
    I have one in my field kit, and I believe I have one in my range bag, I can't remember... I do have my belt ands carry paracord in my range bag. I do carry Quick Clot in my range bag also...The key is knowing when to use any of it.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    No
    Pretty much an idiot can figure out how to use a tourniquet, not so much with an "airway assist" device unless trained in their use.
    t sure how old you are, but I watched "McGiver" as a kid, Give me a pocket knife, a straw, and some duct tape and an escape route if and when it goes wrong, and I can do it; I think.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    No

t sure how old you are, but I watched "McGiver" as a kid, Give me a pocket knife, a straw, and some duct tape and an escape route if and when it goes wrong, and I can do it; I think.
    I did watch McGyver years ago. Was a program I enjoyed watching when I had the opportunity. Making a makeshift airway assist device isn't something I would do since it's pretty tricky and unless I was stranded on a mountain, and it was the only option to save a person's life, I ain't doing one.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I did watch McGyver years ago. Was a program I enjoyed watching when I had the opportunity. Making a makeshift airway assist device isn't something I would do since it's pretty tricky and unless I was stranded on a mountain, and it was the only option to save a person's life, I ain't doing one.
    I Agree. In today's litigious society, I am not sure I would count on the "Good Samaritan" defense these days. That said, watching the sparkle leave someone's eyes; friend, stranger, or even foe, is not an easy instinct to overcome for most people. Of course this info comes from a friend.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I Agree. In today's litigious society, I am not sure I would count on the "Good Samaritan" defense these days. That said, watching the sparkle leave someone's eyes; friend, stranger, or even foe, is not an easy instinct to overcome for most people. Of course this info comes from a friend.
    Under ordinary circumstances I would never attempt to do it, but under extraordinary life or death and I was the only person around, I probably would. I could accept failure simply because I was doing the best I could in all honesty to save a life.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I think we agree. Under what "ordinary circumstances" does anyone need to perform a tracheotomy? A TQ, a trach, even CPR, including M2M, all caries risk of the good guy. I am sorry to have to say this, and as arrogant as it may sound, but yes, my life is worth more to me that the average stranger's life is to me. "Put the oxygen mask on yourself first"; then your child, etc.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The poll doesn't fit me. I have bought and owned dozens of venous tourniquets & a couple arterial.

When a Family Doc, I carried an entire BanYan kit in my car. It had laryngoscopes, G-Tubes, ETT's, oral & nasal airways, suction, most emergency meds, etc. Never opened it except to check contents. I have done intubations in the field, but there was ether a tray or an ambulance available.

I also carried a Mini-Trach set, a 12 or 14GA needle, tourniquets, etc. Again, never had to use my own stuff. Never had to do an outside emergency trach, just those @ bedside or in the O.R. My old Partner had been a USN WWII shipboard Surgical Chief in the Pacific, later USN Hospital C.O. @ Corpus; he taught me his 3-step battlefield, 10 second trach technique, but I never had to use it in real life.

No carry of tourniquet for some 40 years since. But I was never in REAL combat, just drills.

leVieux

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I think we agree. Under what "ordinary circumstances" does anyone need to perform a tracheotomy? A TQ, a trach, even CPR, including M2M, all caries risk of the good guy. I am sorry to have to say this, and as arrogant as it may sound, but yes, my life is worth more to me that the average stranger's life is to me. "Put the oxygen mask on yourself first"; then your child, etc.
    Under "ordinary" circumstances, EMT's, medical facilities are usually going to be close enough that trying to do a tract in the field without proper training, might do more harm than good.

"Extraordinary" circumstances would be miles out in the middle of nowhere, where medical help or facilities might be hours or days away.

I believe that such circumstances are going to be unique, and that there is no one size fits all answer as to what to do.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom