• Total voters

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Don’t question the logic of carrying one. I question the logic of suggesting that carrying something the size and weight of the thing for EDC. It’s ridiculous! My father had one of the cell phones from the 80’s. It was a brick. For all of the suggestions of it being portable, it wasn’t. Which is the reason most owners left them in the trunk. A tourniquet is the size of a smartphone. Small, lite and EDCable. When a defibrillator is the size of a fist and cost $30 then talk to me. Otherwise, your argument is just trolling.

And yes, half of the year I do have to carry an epipen. But of course that’s just for me. Having your tongue and throat swell up is far from fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You carry an epi pen because you have an allergy. His argument isn't about size or cost. Its about efficacy. Your more likely to use /need an AED vs a TQ . Or I could have sipped too much bourbon and I'm off my rocker
    Capitol Armory ad

Low_Speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Austin
    You carry an epi pen because you have an allergy. His argument isn't about size or cost. Its about efficacy. Your more likely to use /need an AED vs a TQ . Or I could have sipped too much bourbon and I'm off my rocker

I am aware of his argument. Thank you. I understand his point and don’t really dispute it. Just saying that we are gun owners and in situations where we might have to use it or have one used in our vicinity a TQ would be of more use than a defibrillator. Also, a tq would be more reasonable to have considered the size and weight of it compared to a defibrillator.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    OK, let our readers judge.

In seven years as a U S Army Physician and 13 years of Emergency Medicine practice, I never saw a single case in which a tourniquet was needed.

But I guess that those geniuses who teach first aid courses must know better.

leVieux
    Those geniuses are your fellow military service men on the battlefield in the sandbox. The procedures trickle down you know. I already gave you a case and we can pull up several stateside with LE. Hell I could have used one in 2005 but they were not as you'll say tacticool back then.

And I quote our city EMS guy we answered calls with - I have never seen anyone lose that much blood and live.

The argument is kinda like when Glock came on the market. Those plastic guns are crap is what our RangeMaster said. Psst, advances in medicine, technology, tactics, and firearms is really a good thing.
    You'll are like cavemen with fire. Ask your son if the local ATF Tac guys carry TQs on them.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    I don't think anyone has argued that, hence many businesses now have AEDs. Psst edc'ing a $1300 electronic piece of equipment is NOT efficient nor cost effective.

Of course maybe you'll are onto something - mount a TQ to the AED so the naysayers won't have to go that far.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

It is not that tourniquets are completely useless; but it is that their need is relatively rare. Very, very rare.

For instance, in my years of active practice, I saw hundreds who need a defibrillator or a shot of epinephrine, but zero who needed a tourniquet.

I have clear recall of treating one hapless fellow who got tangled up in the chain on the deck of an oil drilling rig and had his left arm torn off at the shoulder.

I could see his axillary/high brachial artery in the big hole the injury caused, and was able to put a surgical clamp on it, although it was NOT BLEEDING actively at that time.

Our official U S Army ambulance which accompanied us on medical support missions to Airborne parachute "jump exercises" did not have a tourniquet aboard.

Even the famous "BANYAN" emergency kit as carried by physicians, ships at sea, wilderness expeditions, etc; does not include a tourniquet. It does have intubation devices, Oxygen, intravenous fluids, numerous drugs, bandaging materials, eye treatment materials, & all sorts of devices and medications which are LIKELY TO BE NEEDED.

One last point: many of the serious hemorrhages which we do see come either from the head or the intestines. Just where do you propose putting a tourniquet for those?

I suggest you folks carry an airway assist device, which is regularly needed in REAL LIFE, instead of a tourniquet.

leVieux

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Those geniuses are your fellow military service men on the battlefield in the sandbox. The procedures trickle down you know. I already gave you a case and we can pull up several stateside with LE. Hell I could have used one in 2005 but they were not as you'll say tacticool back then.

And I quote our city EMS guy we answered calls with - I have never seen anyone lose that much blood and live.

The argument is kinda like when Glock came on the market. Those plastic guns are crap is what our RangeMaster said. Psst, advances in medicine, technology, tactics, and firearms is really a good thing.
    You'll are like cavemen with fire. Ask your son if the local ATF Tac guys carry TQs on them.

I guess when IEDs become a major issue stateside I EO might start seeing more uses for tourniquets.

And even then, unless everyone is wearing body armor creating a situation where the vast majority of major injuries are to an extremity there may still be very very little use.

It was a very specific situation that lead to the military adopting them, it wasn’t just a natural progression or because their was something new.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Who’s carrying an epinephrine injector with them? Very small and would also be far more likely to see use than a tourniquet.

Now that one (actually two) I do carry. My youngest has some food allergies and can be under some pretty gnarly respiratory distress pretty quickly. Epinephrine buys time.

ETA: Thankfully we have never needed it.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    I guess when IEDs become a major issue stateside I EO might start seeing more uses for tourniquets.

And even then, unless everyone is wearing body armor creating a situation where the vast majority of major injuries are to an extremity there may still be very very little use.

It was a very specific situation that lead to the military adopting them, it wasn’t just a natural progression or because their was something new.

Are there not MVA's and gunshot victims in the US every day or various accidents that can effect an extremity? Have LEOs stateside not used TQ on themselves or a victim?
    Ask a current military doctor or corpsman what led to the use of a TQ. It's not just for IEDs and there was a new way of thinking in the military because soldiers kept dying from blood loss. They found that the application of TQ saved lives and that lo and behold, they could leave them on longer than previously thought. I call that progression of medicine.

Are you sure you are 80% trolling here because it sure don't sound like it.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    >

One last point: many of the serious hemorrhages which we do see come either from the head or the intestines. Just where do you propose putting a tourniquet for those?

leVieux

Well now you are just being facetious. Curious, when were you a doctor in the military?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Are there not MVA's and gunshot victims in the US every day or various accidents that can effect an extremity? Have LEOs stateside not used TQ on themselves or a victim?
    Ask a current military doctor or corpsman what led to the use of a TQ. It's not just for IEDs and there was a new way of thinking in the military because soldiers kept dying from blood loss. They found that the application of TQ saved lives and that lo and behold, they could leave them on longer than previously thought. I call that progression of medicine.

Are you sure you are 80% trolling here because it sure don't sound like it.

Yep. But it’s worth adding a little useful info when applicable.

What you just said doesn’t change what I said. You just ignored the part about body armor. It’s ok though.

Get an Epi pen and keep it with you. You might shove someone’s life someday.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Well now you are just being facetious. Curious, when were you a doctor in the military?

1971 to 1977, MC USAR

I have worked at Memorial, Ben Taub, Brooke Army, Darnall. LSU-Charity, UMC NO, Fort Sill, Saint David's, & "Big" Hermann, among others.

I have done faculty service at UTMB, UT HSC, & LSU Med Schools.

leVieux

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    My arguments in this thread are only about 80% trolling.......But you are correct. The vast majority of my posts are just for lulz because everyone was getting so butthurt about who carries what. I even said so a couple pages back but people kept replying.......
    You want an epi pen that jams?
    Man, you were smokin yesterday. Sorry I'm so late to catch up..

Top Bottom