• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Model railroading is like any other hobby. The Railroader's Association in Chicago used to have a set up so complicated that it needed a train schedule to operate and several operators at a time to keep from having accidents.

As a kid, from 6 to 13, my set up took up 85% of our basement, had an estimated 1 mile of wiring, 4 transformers for different parts of the layout and was featured in Model Railroading magazine. My Dad helped with the table construction and taught me how to wire it up etc., but the track layout was my design. If there was a problem that I couldn't reach, there were trap doors that gave access from under the table. I collected antique trains and had over 250 cars, a dozen engines, and a rail yard under the stairs where the trains parked and were built (hooked up). Dad sold it when. we moved while I was at military summer school to learn French. He got about 1/10th the value of what it was worth.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    When I was in grade school, one of my friends' fathers had a model railroad setup in a two-car garage. It took up most of the space in the garage and was elevated so that he could access it from underneath. I remember standing outside, looking in, and being amazed!

We weren't even allowed to go into the garage!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    When I was in grade school, one of my friends' fathers had a model railroad setup in a two-car garage. It took up most of the space in the garage and was elevated so that he could access it from underneath. I remember standing outside, looking in, and being amazed!

We weren't even allowed to go into the garage!

Had a childhood friend who’s dad had similar.

He must’ve built and enjoyed it before us boys were born, because we never saw it in use and it was just wasting away…and all we wanted to do was play with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    This was on the east side of Houston and, likewise, we never saw him play with it.

I always figured he waited until we weren't around. It might feel strange for a grown-arse man to play with the train set while a bunch of kids gawk at him.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    G-scale. That was the only thing that ever intrigued me and then I figured out how much all that stuff cost and just walked away.

Top Bottom