• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Do any of do custom rifle builds for a living? My current AR is a custom build and I think my next one should be too. I want to learn how to do it myself as well. If any of you pros are willing to teach please let me know. Hopefully that doesn't sound like an annoying request. I genuinely want to learn so even tips or recommendations on a guide would be greatly appreciated.
    DK Firearms

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    People who do this type of work (or any other specialty work, even if in different fields)
    don't like an amateur looking over their shoulder while they work.
    Options:
    Like no2gates says, YouTube, or build threads on forums, or attend a smithing school.
    Helps if you have any mechanical know-how.
    Helps if you have any machining capabilities.
    Helps if you have all the AR tools, jigs, fixtures.

A friend of mine had a sign in his shop that read:
    Labor: $75/hr
    If you watch: $125/hr
    If you ask questions: $175/hr
    If you try to help: $250/hr.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Read, watch videos. Then read some more and watch more videos. Then find the video you like best and build the receiver while watching that video. Then do the same for the other receiver.

Or go to a Sons Of Liberty Gunworks armorer’s class. They are based out of San Antonio area.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Not hard to do yourself if you are even slightly mechanical oriented. Biggest problem is getting the right/best parts. Mil Spec doesn't mean Mil QC. I've built 3, all work fine.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    It is not that hard as others have said. Building the lower is really easy unless you is all thumbs. The first one I did I watched a video and then went to work. Took me about an hour. I then added a completed upper. Building the upper is a bit more complicated and I have tried it

Good luck!

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    People who do this type of work (or any other specialty work, even if in different fields)
    don't like an amateur looking over their shoulder while they work.
    Options:
    Like no2gates says, YouTube, or build threads on forums, or attend a smithing school.
    Helps if you have any mechanical know-how.
    Helps if you have any machining capabilities.
    Helps if you have all the AR tools, jigs, fixtures.

A friend of mine had a sign in his shop that read:
    Labor: $75/hr
    If you watch: $125/hr
    If you ask questions: $175/hr
    If you try to help: $250/hr.
    I can understand that. That is why I was hesitant to even ask haha. I am the same way in my line of work. And tbh all of what you said that starts with "Helps" are skills I do not possess. I have a huge interest in it but don't have any of those skills. I am a professional data / software engineer that loves guns and the outdoors haha. Perhaps at this stage of my life I should just leave that to the professionals and just enjoy their completed works of art.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    It is not that hard as others have said. Building the lower is really easy unless you is all thumbs. The first one I did I watched a video and then went to work. Took me about an hour. I then added a completed upper. Building the upper is a bit more complicated and I have tried it

Good luck!
    The extent of my AR building skills is I have successfully detached my upper from my lower while cleaning it which I probably didn't even need to do. :laughing:

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Read, watch videos. Then read some more and watch more videos. Then find the video you like best and build the receiver while watching that video. Then do the same for the other receiver.

Or go to a Sons Of Liberty Gunworks armorer’s class. They are based out of San Antonio area.
    That class actually sounds like a lot of fun. I see they have an armorer kit you can buy too. I would just need all the pieces to the rifle that I want to build then too. I've started down that rabbit hole once before trying to find all the best quality parts but every review or message board you look at has a different opinion. The best in one persons opinion is trash in the next persons opinion so it is difficult to figure out what exactly to get haha.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    That class actually sounds like a lot of fun. I see they have an armorer kit you can buy too. I would just need all the pieces to the rifle that I want to build then too. I've started down that rabbit hole once before trying to find all the best quality parts but every review or message board you look at has a different opinion. The best in one persons opinion is trash in the next persons opinion so it is difficult to figure out what exactly to get haha.
    That's the beauty in diving in and doing it as you go, you get to form your own experience based opinion. Use case determines form/function in my world.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I can understand that. That is why I was hesitant to even ask haha. I am the same way in my line of work. And tbh all of what you said that starts with "Helps" are skills I do not possess. I have a huge interest in it but don't have any of those skills. I am a professional data / software engineer that loves guns and the outdoors haha. Perhaps at this stage of my life I should just leave that to the professionals and just enjoy their completed works of art.
    If my wife can do it, I promise you, you'll be able to do it.
    She is NOT good with tools, trust me.
    I'll put this in terms you will understand: Building an AR-15 is the gunsmith equivalent of writing a "Hello World" program in C++

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    AR’s are typically assembled. Start getting the tools that make assembling easier. A workbench, a vise, a Magpul Bev Block & Magpul wrench, a front pin spring tool is very cheap and keeps you from launching springs you may never find.

Keep you eyes open for a good price on a lower and buy the limit while they are cheap. Sign up at Primary Arms to get sale bulletins. Check out the various pistol grip’s available. Look at the different braces and stocks offered, to make you lower to your specifications. Lower parts kits come with & without pistol grips buy and stock up on springs, detents that are easily launched while assembling a lower. Check out different triggers.

Watch the videos on YouTube & bookmark the ones you like. Person think anyone who owns an AR should assemble one. A whole lot to be learned.

There are lots of complete upper on the market. Plenty enough to fill most people’s wants & needs.

I suggest that you learn NFA laws in regards to barrel length. When you buy a lower I would recommend getting one that’s a firearm. No reason to have a rifle registered lower with a pistol length upper cause you any grief.

A .22 caliber dedicated upper just makes a lot of sense. Learn the difference between a blow back action of the .22 & pistol caliber upper over a typical direct impingement AR. A piston action upper IMHO beats a direct impingement when shooting suppressed.

There are more manufacturers of AR guns and parts then boxes of cereal to choose from. I suggest you do some research into them as well.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I have “cheap” ARs that will do 99% of what most people need them for. I also have some that I wouldn’t be afraid to take to combat.

Figure out what you want to accomplish out of this build and go from there.

Buy a decent barrel, buy a decent trigger (ALG has great mil specs ones for the price, LaRue MBT is also good, Geissele is best), buy a Toolcraft or better BCG, get a LPK from SOLGW.

After that it’s all up to your preferences. Start with some of the stuff I mentioned and you’ll have a rifle that will do most anything well enough.

If you want to spend big money I can help with that too! :laughing:

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You can put together an AR lower with nothing more than an armorers wrench. Is it the correct way to assemble it? No, but it'll still work. Uppers, you're going to at least want a vise, a tourqe wrench, and an upper vise block.

Stick to "DI". If you're going to suppress the rifle, you've got better tuning options than piston guns. Adjustable carriers and BRT EZ tune gas tubes are fantastic.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    AR lower with nothing more than an armorers wrench Really, you need a special wrench? If they would change from castle nut you wouldn't need anything special. You do need (should) a torque wench to put the barrel on and a clam shell or barrel tool. Oh forget the uppers with port cover, not needed. Lots of parts out there, some are good, many are junk. But DON'T do it - you will get addicted! Oh I did 'hello' in machine language/Basic or C. Easy stuff. Even remember first Win (just visual disk directory). Just event driven version of other peoples SW.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    AR’s are typically assembled. Start getting the tools that make assembling easier. A workbench, a vise, a Magpul Bev Block & Magpul wrench, a front pin spring tool is very cheap and keeps you from launching springs you may never find.

Keep you eyes open for a good price on a lower and buy the limit while they are cheap. Sign up at Primary Arms to get sale bulletins. Check out the various pistol grip’s available. Look at the different braces and stocks offered, to make you lower to your specifications. Lower parts kits come with & without pistol grips buy and stock up on springs, detents that are easily launched while assembling a lower. Check out different triggers.

Watch the videos on YouTube & bookmark the ones you like. Person think anyone who owns an AR should assemble one. A whole lot to be learned.

There are lots of complete upper on the market. Plenty enough to fill most people’s wants & needs.

I suggest that you learn NFA laws in regards to barrel length. When you buy a lower I would recommend getting one that’s a firearm. No reason to have a rifle registered lower with a pistol length upper cause you any grief.

A .22 caliber dedicated upper just makes a lot of sense. Learn the difference between a blow back action of the .22 & pistol caliber upper over a typical direct impingement AR. A piston action upper IMHO beats a direct impingement when shooting suppressed.

There are more manufacturers of AR guns and parts then boxes of cereal to choose from. I suggest you do some research into them as well.
    Have you tried Spike Tactical's lowers before?

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I have “cheap” ARs that will do 99% of what most people need them for. I also have some that I wouldn’t be afraid to take to combat.

Figure out what you want to accomplish out of this build and go from there.

Buy a decent barrel, buy a decent trigger (ALG has great mil specs ones for the price, LaRue MBT is also good, Geissele is best), buy a Toolcraft or better BCG, get a LPK from SOLGW.

After that it’s all up to your preferences. Start with some of the stuff I mentioned and you’ll have a rifle that will do most anything well enough.

If you want to spend big money I can help with that too! :laughing:
    I don't mind spending the money if it is high quality and serves more of a purpose than just looking cool. I found this Spike Tactical lower but really know nothing about them.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I don't mind spending the money if it is high quality and serves more of a purpose than just looking cool. I found this Spike Tactical lower but really know nothing about them.
    Spikes is nothing special. They were popular 10-15 years ago, but the are on par with most of the basic brands like PSA, Aero, etc..

Top Bottom