• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Kudos to Charlie and rsayloriii for sharing really good info and sharing their knowledge and demonstrating a how to have a civil discussion with clarity and resolve on a forum......thanks again guys !
    FWIW,
    KK
    Hurley's Gold

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    Well Im off to the big town of Kerrville, some ole fart that was gonna check Gibsons for 231 come down with old timers disease [smile]\best/joe

PS Good excuse to go to my favorite store anyway.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Well Im off to the big town of Kerrville, some ole fart that was gonna check Gibsons for 231 come down with old timers disease [smile]\best/joe

PS Good excuse to go to my favorite store anyway.

ole fart checking in! Dangit I was gonna' wait 'till I went down there this afternoon so I could look around also. But I was able to call them and ask (it's not difficult) and they said no and they were low on most of their powders. But it is fun to do a little shopping there, enjoy.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    When you gonna' be there?

I just got back, truthfully I needed to get me a hair cut across the street anyway, Gibson folks don't have and pistol powder and don't expect get any this year.
    I called Drurys and Nagels in San Antonio and same thing nada.
    best/joe

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I went by there also (probably before you did) and found the same thing. Lots of long guns though (most at full retail). When I talked to them on the phone and inquired about W231, I forgot to ask about HP-38 (same performance, etc.) so I just went by to see what they did have. Good luck.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Kudos to Charlie and rsayloriii for sharing really good info and sharing their knowledge and demonstrating a how to have a civil discussion with clarity and resolve on a forum......thanks again guys !
    FWIW,
    KK

#(*% you! :beat: <---- sure hope the random symbols don't revert into an actual word (like reverse censor), lol.

beenut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    There was several pounds of wst at sa gun show today when I left plenty of primers ww at $32 for lp.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I think it's, 'cause using different sources (Hornady, Lee, etc.). Which just shows the inaccuracy or "flexibility" of the powder. :green:

I really think we are mostly in agreement. And because we can't prove one powder is the same as the other, we are assuming it is not (which is not a bad thing). I think they are the same but I'm not going to load anything switched our between the two. I don't experiment with loads except within the load data parameters.

They are the same powder. HP-38 is the Hodgdon and W231 is the Winchester name. It is manufactured at St. Marks and goes by OBP-231 in the canister trade. The only difference in the packaging, Hodgdon owns the rights to distribute Winchester powder and it is packed in their facility where they package powder for distribution to non-canister users.

The difference in data is exactly what you would expect in any process environment, i.e. it has variation. The lot of powder that was used to develop data for book A is most likely NOT the same between the HP-38 and 231, certainly not between Book A, Book B, and Book C. There is no guarantee of exact duplication of conditions between the setup between tester A, tester B, and tester C in terms of how they determined burn rate. It could even be that Tester A ran their HP-38 numbers 2 years ago and when they republished they tested W231 (for example), you don't know without more information. Did they change pressure barrels? How many rounds through it? Different bullet lot? Case lot? Different transducer? Same exact lot of proof ammo from their SAAMI partner? So much that can change results.

For proof, go load some rounds and test them 10 times in the same gun, over the same chronograph, one hour apart. If you get the same exact results every time, buy a lottery ticket. Variation in processes is natural, to be expected, and easily explained in most situations IF you have all the relevant data that went into the results you are looking at.

Top Bottom