• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm actively looking at land. Probably 3 years out from buying, I'd guess (kiddo has 2.5 more years in college).

Having never participated in a paid hunting lease, if I did decide to lease a purchase out to help cover costs, what's a year-round or seasonal lease going for, per-hunter/per-gun? Assume primarily deer, maybe hog, maybe dove/quail/duck (but not the primary use).

Is cost per-acre? Significant difference in 20, 50 and 100 acres, or does it take "big, huge, place" to make a difference?

I'll do some research online but would love to hear from folks here.

Im asking because I dont know, are you a vet?
    Hurley's Gold

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Hey VMax, PM me with your location. I'm in Parker County and, depending on what you're needing, I have a 30 HP CUT with an FEL and box blade.

no Im good. I only needed some help cutting brush and standing up a blind. No equipment needed, just a strong back and a pair of good gloves.
    I got the blind up today, had a neighbor help out.
    just need to clear a couple of lanes and move in the feeder and I;m set.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm not. I won't be financing, either.

Ok fair enough

Land prices vary a lot depending on county , land features like water and terrain and how much you buy

A guy a know bought 450 acres and paid close to $1000 per acre about 4 years ago

Another guy just bbought 30 acres and paid $2500 per acre

Lots of variables

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    My two cents about buying raw land in Texas is don't forget or dismiss the annual property taxes involved. They ain't cheap! If you can get some kind of Ag exemption that'll help the most. But all you have to do to pimp yourself over good with the taxing authorities is to mention you'll be using it for hunting (or some other recreational purpose: trail bike or 4-wheeler ridding, paintball, family camping, etc.) and you'll find yourself with some hefty property taxes to ante up each year.
    I also think the Texas Vet Land Program is perhaps (IMHO) the single greatest reason Texas raw/country land is so darn over valued. That program along with the population influx into Texas from other states has caused raw land values to sky rocket over the past several years. A good thing I suppose, IF you're already the land owner (law of supply & demand, etc.) - except for the taxes I already mentioned.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty on all accounts - and have benefited greatly from all the above. So, far be it for me, to offer the above observations in the form of a complaint. They're really not, just more of a 'heads-up' for those that may just now be getting into the market for such a purpose. While travel time to your land (assuming it's not "owner occupied") may be a major consideration, I've offen wondered if land in the adjacent states may not be a better value from initial cost to annual taxes as well. Of course this may necessitate you live or work reasonably close to the Louisiana or Oklahoma borders. Obviously most of my thoughts/comments are predicated upon living (due to employment considerations) in the major cities. Perhaps west Texas is a different matter(?) but from Texas Vet Land prices I've seen out there, it's not much different. Initial costs still seem high to me for the quality of the land; maybe the property taxes are cheaper?

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    My property in Arizona costs me about $15/year in property taxes.

I am waiting to hear back from the realtor on the property I'm looking at. If it all works out, I'll be putting a bee hive on it. A friend did the same thing in Elgin and the group that put the bee's on the property actually care for the bees and harvest honey which is then given to him. Pretty cool way to help the honeybee population and snag an Ag exemption at the same time.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Pretty cool way to help the honeybee population and snag an Ag exemption at the same time.

Yeah, now see your AZ property tax is pretty cool but they've got a state income tax, right? I see you don't live or work there, so that's probably not a concern of yours. But since Texas doesn't have a state income tax, the property tax becomes the big revenue source. Plus property that far away isn't something that's within a normal weekend 'outing range'. But generally, that's the idea I've been looking at, somewhere just across the border into Oklahoma, Arkansas or Louisiana (depending on where you live). I was figuring their property taxes should be less since they all have state income taxes and don't have to rely on property taxes as their main source of revenue. The bee thing may be a good idea as long as they are not the killer bees (that are in the area).

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

I am waiting to hear back from the realtor on the property I'm looking at. If it all works out, I'll be putting a bee hive on it. A friend did the same thing in Elgin and the group that put the bee's on the property actually care for the bees and harvest honey which is then given to him. Pretty cool way to help the honeybee population and snag an Ag exemption at the same time.

That's some great info. Worth quoting.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    Yep... I've considered buying land in south eastern OK. It's pretty up there and the land is a lot cheaper.
    That's true. SE OK is very very nice. Plus it's within driving distance to Arkansas and the Ozarks. Honestly, Arkansas has the prettiest property of any bordering state.

Unless you can afford alpine elevation mountain property in New Mexico.

bmnloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    DFW-Cisco, TX
    Back to the OP, I get the same questions about this time every year and my answer is always the same, where were you during the off months when I was clearing, planting and sweating. They say, "I didn't know you needed any help" and I say "I didn't know you wanted to hunt". Same question every year from the same people. They never have time. I don't either but I make it work.
    My place is out close to Cisco and I overpaid but that was due to it was what I was looking for and the wife fell in love with it. Guy next to me has 265 acres he's asking $3500/acre for. Nothing on it but rocks.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    We have bees on our property as well as cattle, etc. You don't want to run over a bee hive with the Polaris Ranger when you are hunting at night. Just saying....

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Guy next to me has 265 acres he's asking $3500/acre for. Nothing on it but rocks.

That's insane. I can find huntable for $1,000/acre, can find "utilities" or "frontage road" for $1,500/acre, or all of the above for $2,000 acre in Texas.

As others have noted, less in Oklahoma.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Yep... I've considered buying land in south eastern OK. It's pretty up there and the land is a lot cheaper.

you got that right, that area North of Hugo and Broken Bow is beautiful

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    That's insane. I can find huntable for $1,000/acre, can find "utilities" or "frontage road" for $1,500/acre, or all of the above for $2,000 acre in Texas.

As others have noted, less in Oklahoma.

yep, I paid close to 2K/acre and got frontage road access, drive way already built, water meter, electric meter, working water well, fenced all the way with a cross fence

Top Bottom