Patriot Mobile

When do cars need to get out of the left lane?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Road IQ question: When do cars need to get out of the left lane?

A. If they're moving more slowly than traffic
    B. To let faster traffic pass
    C. Always, except when passing or turning left
    D. If they're moving more slowly than the speed limit
    Texas SOT

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In Texas, C is not the correct answer.

Texas Transportation Code
    545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY

) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
    (1) passing another vehicle; or
    (2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Sec. 541.302. TRAFFIC AREAS.

(11) "Roadway" means the portion of a highway, other than the berm or shoulder, that is improved, designed, or ordinarily used for vehicular travel. If a highway includes at least two separate roadways, the term applies to each roadway separately.

If I am not going slower than other traffic I can lawfully hang out in the left lane.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Seriously, why do people do that? Two or more vehicles driving abreast, under, or at the speed limit. I call it the screen play. Some people see themselves as self appointed traffic control.

The correct answer should be A, B, and D, if it's not. Some portions of some roads are designated as "Left lane for passing only".

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Seriously, why do people do that? Two or more vehicles driving abreast, under, or at the speed limit. I call it the screen play. Some people see themselves as self appointed traffic control.

The correct answer should be A, B, and D, if it's not.

We have a winner! Especially the bold.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    People drive in packs and pace themselves off other drivers. If you drive a motorcycle you see this all the time. I generally drive faster than others since I hate being around other people. At night I will hit the bright lights and leave then on if I get behind a left lane blocker. Its a lot easier to get people to move in my jacked up 4X4 Dodge with the grill guard since the lights go directly into the rear window of most cars. In the daytime, I will tailgate the hell out of them until they get tired of seeing my grill. Whats fun is when you have someone pacing off you. I have slowly gotten them up to 80 MPH before they realized how fast they were going, then they slam on the brakes and the problem is solved.

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    What's worse is trucks that ride the left or middle lanes when they are governed at 55-65mph. I-35 is really bad for this. I drive a truck and stay in the right lane except to pass. Use to be a old saying, "if your getting passed on the right, you're in the wrong lane"
    There are more and more places on the interstates that are posted left lane for passing only but i have seen cars run the left lane for miles with no one around them.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm anal about staying out of the left lane except for the exceptions. However, I spend most of my freeway time near Houston where the density of traffic renders left-lane discipline a practical impossibility. Still, there are left-lane scenarios that bug the crap out of me.

1 - Someone is hanging in second lane at around the speed limit. I pull left to pass. They speed up and pace me so that I can't get back over to the right without either flooring it or severely reducing my speed.

1a - In the scenario above, about the time I figure out that the guy on my right won't let me back in, someone decides they need to push me and starts riding my bumper because they want to go even faster. Lovely. We've formed a mini wolf pack and I can either go way faster than I want to break it or I can decelerate, hoping to all that is holy that the driver behind me is alert enough to realize what's happening.

2 - Traffic density is such that all lanes are legitimately in use. Suddenly, the left lane is the slowest. I'm trapped in it with no easy way to move right. Eventually, enough people bail from the left lane that I'm able to see the problem and do the same. As I pass, I look over and see that the guy or gal at the head of the slow column is cruising at exactly the speed limit, yakking on their cell phone.

There are more but I don't need the blood pressure rise that comes from dwelling on such topics. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Some people see themselves as self appointed traffic control.
    And for some people, it's their job. I remember a few times in the past, when the speed limit was 55 everywhere, when the Louisiana authorities decided they really didn't like the way Texans tore through their state. On a few occasions, they set up at the Texas border and then proceeded to use 4 or 5 cars to drive the entire width of the state at 55, blocking all lanes and making it impossible to pass.

The belief that "I have a right to camp out in the left lane as long as I'm going the limit" will never be eradicated. It exists even in some minds responsible for traffic enforcement. I try stay calm and think pretty thoughts.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I spend most of my driving time pulling a big trailer (one ton with gooseneck) at the speed limit. I generally avoid the left lane unless I am passing like we are supposed to do. But as a large vehicle, I will get over early as I see a situation unfold where I will be pinned behind a slower vehicle in the right lane.

I will speed up if I am a hindrance to the speed of the left lane traffic or the person to my right wants to pace me. I will also make a move so an 18 wheeler can avoid getting pinned in also.

I consider myself to be a fairly courteous and law abiding driver, the type of driver I want to be on the road with.

That being said, if I am in the left lane passing a vehicle and you pull up behind me flashing your brights because you want to go 100 mph too bad. I will not slow down to be a dick or anything like that but I will also not take evasive maneuvers to get out of your way. If you need me to move so you can fly by you had better be flashing some lights that are a color other than white.

I guess my mini rant is off topic a little so take it for what it is.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I used to work for a guy (and had to ride with him occasionally) that went straight into the left lane and drove the speed limit or slower. I bitched to him about it but he didn't give a damn. I think it's very rude.

I snapped a pic of this car in Atlanta a few years ago. Notice how he parked when all of the handicap spaces were taken.

IMAG1152_zps1953600e.jpg

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    A, B, D. "C" is not a valid response if there's traffic in both the middle and fast lane, which is almost always the case on I-35. Seeing drivers violate A,B, C (which is all the time here in TX) pisses me off but not to the point of road rage.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    See, I think if there was a bit more road rage, folks would start being a bit nicer to each other and pay more attention when driving myself.

Just a thought....

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Which sex are the most aggressive, rude drivers?

My answer to that question seems to get me in trouble.....

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    People drive in packs and pace themselves off other drivers. If you drive a motorcycle you see this all the time. I generally drive faster than others since I hate being around other people. At night I will hit the bright lights and leave then on if I get behind a left lane blocker. Its a lot easier to get people to move in my jacked up 4X4 Dodge with the grill guard since the lights go directly into the rear window of most cars. In the daytime, I will tailgate the hell out of them until they get tired of seeing my grill. Whats fun is when you have someone pacing off you. I have slowly gotten them up to 80 MPH before they realized how fast they were going, then they slam on the brakes and the problem is solved.

Cool. So driving dangerously is your answer to them driving dangerously. Got it. Have fun trying to stop quickly in your big truck when they mash the brakes.

Top Bottom