What will they come up with next? CCW upgrades. LCP Max and Shield Plus.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Everybody funny! Now you funny too!

8F742EB6-6791-43EC-A016-3FCD7FD7F64D.jpeg.jpg

Fletcherjl

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    The 19 obsolete is a little presumptive, but you are likely right about the new focus of the market. The 48 may be the new perfect glock for some people. The 48 and the 365xl don't really fit in the micro gun category but they shoot well, have decent capacity and are easier to conceal than a traditional double stack. If anything has been made obsolete it would be the 26, mag compatibility with the larger models will keep it alive for some applications.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I don't see the traditional double stack compact pistol as "obsolete" - physics still applies - larger guns are easier to shoot and soak up recoil. Micro compacts are a breeeze to carry, weight wise, but they're not at all "fun" to shoot many rounds through. Depending on your carry method of choice, the micro guns may also *not* be more concealable or easier to carry.

I carry AIWB, and the baby guns suck for that. They don't typically have enough muzzle to offset the weight of the grip, so the grip tends to lean out away from my body. When the muzzle of the gun is just barely below the belt line, even a wedge doesnt' do much to mitigate that. Driving the gun deeper below the waist offers more concealment, but then you sacrifice being able to get a proper grip on the gun for the draw stroke. May as well go Thunderwear for carry method at that point.

The sweet spot, for me, is the 4 to 4.5 inch barrel autos. A Glock 48 would fit that role, sure, but the grip is less comfortable, and again, since its lighter / less mass than the Glock 19 - the G19 is going to be less snappy and more controllable. If you stick with factory mags, you give up 50% in capacity too. Shield Arms mags are great, but not readily available all the time (sold out a lot!)

In today's world 3 rounds *may* still be the average, but with flash mobs, riots, and multiple assailants being a possibility, I'll take as many rounds in the gun, and in my spare magazine as practically possible. So for *me* that's 16 in the gun, with a 17 or 18 round backup.

God forbid IF I find myself in a lethal force encounter, I want the gun that I shoot the best with in my hands, not the gun that's the lightest, tiniest possible that I don't shoot well or want to practice with.

Even a fatass like me (6'4", 295lbs currently) can carry AIWB, or IWB in a manner that conceals the gun and is comfortable enough for all day carry. There are of course other carry methods for those who can't carry on the belt. Things like the Phlster Enigma system allow for carry under clothing that doesnt' use a belt - carry in your gym shorts, yoga pants, sweats, swim trunks, t-shirt, jeans, formal wear, business suit - whatever.

Its cool to see the innovation - and I think there's application of those micro guns that can be applied to the larger cousins - maybe in magazine spring / follower design that would take a 15 round old-school double stack into the 17-19 round range, maybe. Maybe the Glock 17 becomes a 20 or 21 round gun without a big baseplate sticking below the grip?

I think the accessory market adapting to the micro guns is as much of an important thing as the guns themselves getting smaller. Streamlight's TLR7, for example, gives you a light that beats the output of the original TLR-1, in a package 2/3 the size, with 2/3 more light output (500 lumens, vs 300 on the OG TLR-1) for those who want to carry a light equipped gun concealed, this is huge. You get a smaller, easier carried/concealed light that has *more* output than the older, bigger lights.

Red dot makers improving products and scaling them down to fit the micro slides is a good thing too, I think. The RMSc, the 507k are good sights.

Maybe the next innovation in micro-guns will be recoil mitigation that dampens muzzle flip / felt recoil forces and makes the guns shoot flatter/faster. That would be cool, but we haven't got there yet, so you still have the trade off of the tiny gun being easier to conceal, but not to shoot.

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    I have no experience with the Ruger, but I recently got a Shield Plus and really like it. It’s my first subcompact. I shot it just as well as my 1911 from 5 to 15 yards. The trigger is pretty good, too, for being striker-fired. What surpised me the most is that I didn’t find it at all snappy considering its smaller size. It was fun to shoot, for me at least. My only complaint is the grip texture is kind of rough on my bare skin.

Here’s a pic of it along with my 1911 and S&W 3913 when I last went to the range.
    C9432CCD-0F90-4B9D-B121-AB4CE9DE4454.jpeg

Top Bottom