• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    After crushing a primer till it exploded & seating a flat point so long it was touching the rifling I'd rather avoid making other mistakes...

What mistakes have you made, that could've been avoided?
    ARJ Defense ad

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Haven't set off a primer ............................... yet! But I'm sure my time is coming. I did flare some .30 caliber carbine cartridges way too much once, so much in fact, that the crimp die wouldn't even work! (fortunately this was many years ago when I was just learning to hand load). I'm sure I've made others but I can't think of any worth mentioning.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Forgot I did that too... .45 acp, took a while to realise quite why I had brass shavings all over the 550 & the crimp die was getting real sticky.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Always wear safety glasses. Primers pack a punch, even without powder. I've crushed a few and when you're staring straight at these press and BANG, it'll rattle you. Especially in a closed garage. Crimping on non semi auto, why bother? Keep all fingers away from between moving press and die at ALL times. Pinched a buddy's finger once, and I've seen far, far worse.

attachment.jpg

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I checked and double checked. Still ended up loading a squib and firing it in my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. I don't know how, but I musta missed charging one case.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I bought a Lee Loadmaster once.. that was a mistake I won't make again.

I once loaded 100 rounds of a light load 45 acp and it wouldn't cycle in my gun so I had to pull most of them
    now, if I have any question on a new load, I load a dozen or so and try them first.

Stumpnav

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Not sufficiently documenting what I was doing. Ended up with some ammo that I had no idea what the powder charges were, etc.

the other is not marking the powder in a measure, walking away for a few days then not remembering what powder it is. Only thing to do is pour it out and start over.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thankfully, there have been few mistakes since approx 1966, when I started reloading. I am very careful and have always put speed second to safety and accuracy.

I guess the worst error was when I bought a very large pile of .308/7.62 brass that had been fired in machine guns. It was all stretched and over length so I spent many hours getting the brass back into specifications. When it was done, I thought the brass looked pretty good!

After loading a pile of the brass, I stored it in ammo cans then got busy moving to Texas and getting my teaching career running in a new state. That ammo sat for a long time, untouched. Finally, time came to use some of the rounds. A very large percentage of the rounds were cracked at the case neck! These were big, long cracks! True to my "safety first" pledge, I pulled down and salvaged every round!

Some time later, I felt vindicated! I bought a buttload of 30-06 rounds that were made in India. Many of those rounds were cracked at the case neck. Their ammo had the same issues that my .308 rounds had!

I sorted and salvaged the cracked neck rounds and had fun firing the rest.

Flash

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I shaved some skin off my finger sizing some .357 Mag cases. Too much of a hurry.

I have also over crimped to the point the necks were slightly crushed and wouldn't chamber.

Seated too deep and not deep enough.

Haven't loaded a squib yet but did have some squibs while experimenting with light loads.

I ran some 5.7 cases in my Dillon primer crimp remover too far. The tiny heads expanded and they wouldn't fit in a shell holder anymore.

I am bad about keeping track of data. I recently had to pull some rounds apart to get the charge weight.

I loaded some black powder with an air gap in the case. Bulged a barrel with that mistake.

There is probably more too. Some of it intentional while experimenting and some of it accidental. I still have all my fingers though.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Shooting reloads made by someone else that I didn't know on a personal basis.

What's bad is I still have about 1,200 rounds of the stuff...

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I haven't been reloading long but...

I've smashed my finger with the ram. It didn't cause injury but it hurt enough to teach me a lesson.

Had a squib once. I don't know how I missed it.

squib_zpsnfwksztz.jpg

Winger Ed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    A bit NE of DFW
    I've made all sorts:
    Runnings a .357Mag case up a .38Spec. seating die was a good one.

Trying to punch out a Berdan primer with your Boxer type sizing die is another.

In my younger days, I'd ocassionally try to seat a primer in a GI brass that hadn't been 'uncrimped'.

Once I was using a primer flipper, and didn't hold it together well enough.
    For some reason- I always have lots of spent primers all over the floor that have jumped out of the trash.
    To get my 30-40 good primers back, I picked and sorted through about a million dead ones.

The most agravating thing I've done was getting a new .308 sizer die, and 1,000 GI 7.62 NATO brass to compliment my new M1A..
    After full length sizing-- every--- single----- one----- of those cases....
    .........They were all good clean brass, a good fresh Hornady press, and a new/in the box Brand X die......
    I've done all this a million times.... What can go wrong?

Well,,, after I was done cleaning, sizing, and priming all 1,000,,,,,
    I loaded one, to double check the seating/length before I went into mass production:
    Then,,,,,,,,,,,,, Uh-ohhh......
    It wouldn't chamber. Not in the M1A, or a heavy barrel Winchester .308 target rifle.
    After a lot of looking, fiddeling, and head scratching, trying to chamber a empty sized brass-
    I figured out the sizing die was just defective.
    To test my theory,,, I took a old .308 die, ran a brass through it, and that one chambered just fine.
    I still have that one die on the shelf over my bench as a reminder of letting down my guard just once.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I drew blood on the .357 sizing deal.
    Lots of it.
    Daughter was about 8 then.
    She made sure I wasn't gonna die, then ran and told her momma that daddy cussed.

Top Bottom