• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    After crushing a primer till it exploded & seating a flat point so long it was touching the rifling I'd rather avoid making other mistakes...

What mistakes have you made, that could've been avoided?
    Target Sports

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Haven't set off a primer ............................... yet! But I'm sure my time is coming. I did flare some .30 caliber carbine cartridges way too much once, so much in fact, that the crimp die wouldn't even work! (fortunately this was many years ago when I was just learning to hand load). I'm sure I've made others but I can't think of any worth mentioning.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Forgot I did that too... .45 acp, took a while to realise quite why I had brass shavings all over the 550 & the crimp die was getting real sticky.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Always wear safety glasses. Primers pack a punch, even without powder. I've crushed a few and when you're staring straight at these press and BANG, it'll rattle you. Especially in a closed garage. Crimping on non semi auto, why bother? Keep all fingers away from between moving press and die at ALL times. Pinched a buddy's finger once, and I've seen far, far worse.

attachment.jpg

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I checked and double checked. Still ended up loading a squib and firing it in my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. I don't know how, but I musta missed charging one case.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I bought a Lee Loadmaster once.. that was a mistake I won't make again.

I once loaded 100 rounds of a light load 45 acp and it wouldn't cycle in my gun so I had to pull most of them
    now, if I have any question on a new load, I load a dozen or so and try them first.

Stumpnav

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Not sufficiently documenting what I was doing. Ended up with some ammo that I had no idea what the powder charges were, etc.

the other is not marking the powder in a measure, walking away for a few days then not remembering what powder it is. Only thing to do is pour it out and start over.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thankfully, there have been few mistakes since approx 1966, when I started reloading. I am very careful and have always put speed second to safety and accuracy.

I guess the worst error was when I bought a very large pile of .308/7.62 brass that had been fired in machine guns. It was all stretched and over length so I spent many hours getting the brass back into specifications. When it was done, I thought the brass looked pretty good!

After loading a pile of the brass, I stored it in ammo cans then got busy moving to Texas and getting my teaching career running in a new state. That ammo sat for a long time, untouched. Finally, time came to use some of the rounds. A very large percentage of the rounds were cracked at the case neck! These were big, long cracks! True to my "safety first" pledge, I pulled down and salvaged every round!

Some time later, I felt vindicated! I bought a buttload of 30-06 rounds that were made in India. Many of those rounds were cracked at the case neck. Their ammo had the same issues that my .308 rounds had!

I sorted and salvaged the cracked neck rounds and had fun firing the rest.

Flash

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I shaved some skin off my finger sizing some .357 Mag cases. Too much of a hurry.

I have also over crimped to the point the necks were slightly crushed and wouldn't chamber.

Seated too deep and not deep enough.

Haven't loaded a squib yet but did have some squibs while experimenting with light loads.

I ran some 5.7 cases in my Dillon primer crimp remover too far. The tiny heads expanded and they wouldn't fit in a shell holder anymore.

I am bad about keeping track of data. I recently had to pull some rounds apart to get the charge weight.

I loaded some black powder with an air gap in the case. Bulged a barrel with that mistake.

There is probably more too. Some of it intentional while experimenting and some of it accidental. I still have all my fingers though.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Shooting reloads made by someone else that I didn't know on a personal basis.

What's bad is I still have about 1,200 rounds of the stuff...

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I haven't been reloading long but...

I've smashed my finger with the ram. It didn't cause injury but it hurt enough to teach me a lesson.

Had a squib once. I don't know how I missed it.

squib_zpsnfwksztz.jpg

Winger Ed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    A bit NE of DFW
    I've made all sorts:
    Runnings a .357Mag case up a .38Spec. seating die was a good one.

Trying to punch out a Berdan primer with your Boxer type sizing die is another.

In my younger days, I'd ocassionally try to seat a primer in a GI brass that hadn't been 'uncrimped'.

Once I was using a primer flipper, and didn't hold it together well enough.
    For some reason- I always have lots of spent primers all over the floor that have jumped out of the trash.
    To get my 30-40 good primers back, I picked and sorted through about a million dead ones.

The most agravating thing I've done was getting a new .308 sizer die, and 1,000 GI 7.62 NATO brass to compliment my new M1A..
    After full length sizing-- every--- single----- one----- of those cases....
    .........They were all good clean brass, a good fresh Hornady press, and a new/in the box Brand X die......
    I've done all this a million times.... What can go wrong?

Well,,, after I was done cleaning, sizing, and priming all 1,000,,,,,
    I loaded one, to double check the seating/length before I went into mass production:
    Then,,,,,,,,,,,,, Uh-ohhh......
    It wouldn't chamber. Not in the M1A, or a heavy barrel Winchester .308 target rifle.
    After a lot of looking, fiddeling, and head scratching, trying to chamber a empty sized brass-
    I figured out the sizing die was just defective.
    To test my theory,,, I took a old .308 die, ran a brass through it, and that one chambered just fine.
    I still have that one die on the shelf over my bench as a reminder of letting down my guard just once.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I drew blood on the .357 sizing deal.
    Lots of it.
    Daughter was about 8 then.
    She made sure I wasn't gonna die, then ran and told her momma that daddy cussed.

Top Bottom