SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What are your thoughts on the whole magpul "hold the rifle with your support hand elbow pointing 90 degrees away from the ground" and their "theory based" products? I've always thought that AFG's and the sideways elbow looked stupid, and feel awkward and not natural.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Generally, getting your support hand farther forward on the forearm, and above the bore line if possible, does have a very positive benefit in controlling recoil as well as allowing maximum control of the gun. Some people like getting insanely aggressive with their support arm, "Magpul style". Honestly, I find that going that aggressive is not really all that necessary. The AFG is a little bit too large to work perfectly as intended but, when it is used as intended on the right carbine with the right length forearm that is very slim (like a Troy TRX Extreme rail or VTAC rail), it can work well.

All people should care about is what is relevant to them. For me, being the average civilian, if I had to use a carbine, it may be as simple as an extra mag thrown in my back pants pocket due to a spontaneous situation developing. I'm not going to be donning a plate carrier, thigh rig, or other nonsense that isn't relevant to me. Basically, stop trying to "look the part", and instead focus on what is relevant to you to use and what is effective.

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    From a good dude who lives it:

"The term "operator" is right up there with the term "black ops" neither is used by Special Forces soldiers but both are used by mall security guards, hollywood, the video entertainment industry, tabloid news outlets, contractors, and individuals that are not "Special Forces" qualified.

I'm glad it's being used as much as it is because it instantly identifies an individual as a non-Special Forces soldier.

Tell me something, as an "operator" what schools or credentials, qualifications skill or competence level does the term carry?"

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Okay, so you often get TWO smartasses.....
    49d71641.gif

There comes a point in every young threads life when the question asked has been so completely answered by others that anyone commenting further can only agree with what has been said, argue with what has been said (hopefully with flame suit properly donned) or add a little levity. I tend to choose the latter.

ausshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Austin
    <RANT>Operator is a term that is way over-used. Quite frankly, and I'm speaking generally so this isn't directed at anyone, civilians really should stop focusing so much on all this "operator", "tactical" stuff that has flooded the industry. If someone is LE/Mil and it's relevant to their job, hey more power to you. People should be more concerned with what is relevant to them. For most of us, handguns are what is most relevant and what most people are more likely to use if they get thrown into a defensive situation. Carbine training can still be totally relevant, as it is indeed becoming more common for people to turn to AR15's and other carbines for home/property defense. Far too often, I see people looking for high speed carbine classes, looking to take a weekend warrior class so they can "live the dream" for one weekend reenacting what they saw in Magpul videos. It's all a little bit ridiculous. Hell, even actual former "operators", like some of the ones whose classes can be found in the TGT training section, are ultimately all about perfect application of the fundamentals under stress....not some showy, hollywood-looking stuff.</RANT>

I guess I need to take off the "You must be decked from head to toe in multicam" as a requirement prior to taking my carbine class, eh?

There are quite a few people who want the "high speed black ops delta seal HALO HAHO mission tier-1 operator experience" and you can usually pick them out in about 10 seconds. I'm not sure how Magpul fell into all of that, but they sure have a lot of people throwing money at them as fast as possible. I'm just jealous!

I do have to guess a lot of it is being driven by the video game world as well as this generation's war which has been publicized so well on the internet. The closer you feel like you are to the action, the more you think anyone can do it.

Bad guys don't care what color your paracord lanyard is. Having a drop leg rig won't make your front sight stay on target as you press the trigger.

Good training, regular practice, and mental discipline will.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    After "Delta" was formed, their "shooters" were called "operators" to confuse the media who had no back ground in military operations.

It was simply a contraction of the word "Special Operations" to "operator."

My neighbor in Fayetteville, NC, was an "Operator."

I thought he was a civilian, because he wore civvies, had long hair and a beard.

Then one day, I saw him running PT on Ardennes Street on Fort Bragg with a forty pound ruck sack.

"Fred" would be gone for several weeks at a time. Told me he did "construction." I'd go over and help his wife mow the lawn, rake leaves and such.

When "Fred" got home from a job, he'd walk over with two beers in hand to thank me for helping his "Old Lady."

One day, as he cleaned out his garage before his next job, he walked across the street and gave me some bandoleers of 7.62 x 39 on stripper clips.

When I asked him where he got them, he simply told me they were found at a "construction site."

Don't take our Operators lightly.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    No one is. We're just making fun of all the computer nerds, mall ninjas, range commandos, and other morons that are trying to live the dream vicariously through the number of picatinny attachments they have, the multicam BDU's they wear......to the public gun range, the military terminology they try to throw around (while probably never having actually served in a branch of the military), etc.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If you were one you'd know, but you aren't, so you suck...

The guy in this video is an operator. You can tell because he's wearing all black (because his face is classified ultra secret) and he's using an HK. Operators use HKs.
    [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMH94PuT_I[/video]

Top Bottom