• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Humble, TX
    There I was, looking at the ammuntion in Academy in Humble when something caught my eye. I'll describe him as one of those who likes wear his pants below his ass and had the general thug them going. The pregnant girlfried was with him looking disgusted. He said to her, "Do you want to go halfs?" She gave him an icy look and then went to the counter and pointed to the Sig pistol and said I'll take that one. The guy behind the counter says "Sure, you want that in 40 or 9?" She replies, "Ummm, I don't know, 9 I guess." I start watching this scene with interest.

The Academy employee pulls the weapon out of the box, locks the slide back and presents it to her. She takes it and without really looking at it puts it down. He explains that it comes with a look and with this coupon she could get a couple of magazines for the weapon. She could care less.

Meanwhile, Thugboy pulls out a wad of 100 dollar bills rolls them up and while she's filling out the paperwork he casually walks up behind her and puts the money in her back pocket. Nobody but me notices this. I go to the front of the store and find a manager. He's on the phone but I interupt and say, "You're about to have someone buy a gun for someone else who probably cannot legally purchase a weapon." I get this look like why are you bothering me. He calls over another emplyee and said "Tell your story to him."

I tell this employee what I've seen and he at least shows an interest. He says thank you and then says, "Well, that gun had better be in her name." then walks to the gun section. I'm almost at a loss for words. I can't see an owner of a gun store doing this but a chain I guess so. Thugboy was pacing nervously the whole time while the transaction was taking place. I had my family with me and didn't stick around to see what happened. I probably should have but was completely disgusted with the entire episode. I simply could not believe what I was seeing and it appeared everyone else was oblivious.

I know this proabably happens everyday and I'm sure they explained that the gun was for her. But it was obvious to me that she had no interest in the gun at all when she picked it up and put it back down again. I am just sitting here tonight stunned in disbelief. I think I witnessed a crime taking place by someone buying a gun for someone who probably couldn't buy it himself and nobody seemed to care. I'm at a loss.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    What a dumbass!
    That refers to the thug and each employee involved.

The stupid thug should have given her the money before they entered the store.

The stupid employees should have stopped the transaction, or at least run the check on both.

The stupid employees should realize that they can get thrown in jail for letting that sale happen.

Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    Is the hot pistol market in Humble so dry that they have to straw purchase from Academy?

And yeah, if you're going to make shady deals, you make the arrangements before you get to the dealer. A real thug would know that. I mean, I'm just sayin'.

The dealer could have read out loud a few of the questions, including the one about being the person the gun is really for and, being the helpful shop keep he is, informed them of the consequences of straw purchase.

cougartex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I saw basically the same thing at the Academy in Port Arthur about two weeks ago.

The husband wanted to buy a handgun but did not have Texas ID, but the wife did. After the Academy employee ask for his ID, the husband says that his wife will buy the gun instead. The Academy employee (not a manager, just salesman) said "NO, he could not sell his wife the gun".

The husband got upset, the salesman just said "Sorry can not sell the gun". They left with no gun purchase.

So I guess it just depends on the employee and training.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I would rarely encourage someone to contact the BATFE about anything. However, in this case, it is worth investigating. Just the simple details like the time, place and gun are probably enough for them to look into the records and at least lecture the incompetent staff there. This WAS a crime that happened before your eyes and I appreciate your feeling of disgust having witnessed it. As I am sure ya'll know, it does ask if you are the actual purchaser of the firearm on the forms. It sickens me that legitimate gunowners continuously jump through hoops to purchase and own guns while "thug types" continue to easily buck the system. It just goes to show you how restrictive gun laws only impact law-abiding people and are therfore completely useless.

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    The last time I went into my local academy i left pretty quickly also. I don't know what it is, but when i am looking at the guns there it feels like the people behind the counter just don't care to help you and just stand their and stare you down.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    unfortunately i've done that before, i went to purchase a handgun right after i moved into a new place and my drivers license address didn't match so i asked if my fiance could put it in her name they let her do it but at the same i go in there twice a week for ammo and purchase a gun every 2 months from them, they have ran my record enough to fill out my 4473 themselves (but they don't), so they know exactly who i am and who my fiance is. im not saying it is right by no means but an employee should have been able to look at that situation and figure out something was up and refuse to sell a gun to them.

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    Find out the number to thier corporate office and tell someone there what you saw. Report the counter guy and the manager for letting it happen. Maybe someone from thier corporate office will rectify the problem and it wouldnt happen again. Heres the customer service number, its a start 1.888.922.2336

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Find out the number to thier corporate office and tell someone there what you saw. Report the counter guy and the manager for letting it happen. Maybe someone from thier corporate office will rectify the problem and it wouldnt happen again. Heres the customer service number, its a start 1.888.922.2336

Tell them if they don't do something about it then maybe the ATF will be happy to know about a felony that was committed by one of their employees.

What you described is a straw purchase and the employee / manager should have stopped the sale immediately.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    unfortunately i've done that before, i went to purchase a handgun right after i moved into a new place and my drivers license address didn't match so i asked if my fiance could put it in her name they let her do it but at the same i go in there twice a week for ammo and purchase a gun every 2 months from them, they have ran my record enough to fill out my 4473 themselves (but they don't), so they know exactly who i am and who my fiance is. im not saying it is right by no means but an employee should have been able to look at that situation and figure out something was up and refuse to sell a gun to them.

That's a different situation. That is a gift purchase, not a straw purchase.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    The last time I went into my local academy i left pretty quickly also. I don't know what it is, but when i am looking at the guns there it feels like the people behind the counter just don't care to help you and just stand their and stare you down.

My thoughts also,plus some ammo so far back from counter need a scope to read boxes and then its a point game to tell clerk correct type feel
    like I'm intruding on their dating plans normally I look elsewhere.

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I get that a lot at academy. They look and treat you like your bothering them when its thier job to help you. When you do get help and you have a question, they dont know any more than you do usually. Luckily with the caliburs I have now I dont have to go up there much unless they are having a deal on hunting stuff. But they do have good deals a lot.

Drs2288

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The only 2 academys i go to are the one off Mcallister Burleson/Ft worth border line and North Richland Hills, Everytime i go the people there actually wanna help you out. Might sound funny but they seem like they work off comission becaus they almost insist on me buying a gun

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    The only 2 academys i go to are the one off Mcallister Burleson/Ft worth border line and North Richland Hills, Everytime i go the people there actually wanna help you out. Might sound funny but they seem like they work off comission becaus they almost insist on me buying a gun

You have better luck than I do at the NRH store then. Ususally some kid behind the counter and he seems bothered that I ask to look at something.

Drs2288

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    You have better luck than I do at the NRH store then. Ususally some kid behind the counter and he seems bothered that I ask to look at something.

I noticed a young black guy and young white guy that had a shitty attitude but there is an older gentleman there and he always wants to help out.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I guess those two or three employees better hope that them or none of their family gets caught in the crossfire of a gang shooting involving that weapon... although like lawyers that defend the likes of Nathaniel Sanders II, they probably don't think about that or care as long as they get their money...

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Tell them if they don't do something about it then maybe the ATF will be happy to know about a felony that was committed by one of their employees.

What you described is a straw purchase and the employee / manager should have stopped the sale immediately.

Although I agree with what everyone is suggesting..............since the original poster had his family with him and left the store without witnessing the final outcome.........who can say that Academy even completed the sale??

Top Bottom