APOD Firearms

What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Since I missed the Austin RADwood, my buddy invited me up to drive his Esprit to the Philly show. I even made a new shirt design commemorating the occasion:

A couple days before I got there he discovered a crack in the exhaust manifold. Considering the manifold is the only thing holding the turbo up (probably why they crack) we thought it prudent to fix it. With that sufficiently repaired and the car running well we thought I was good to go. You can see that repair here:

Of course when we're getting ready to leave that morning the Esprit was running poorly. After some diagnosing, we determined it wasn't fixable in enough time to get to the show, so I just had to ride shotgun in my buddy's #e39bestcar. You can watch our morning Lotus frustrations here:
    Military Camp

LeadChucker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2019
    Dallas TX
    This happened a couple of weeks ago, but just now documenting it. I was on my way home after having met five other Fiat Spider owners in Clifton, AZ to drive the Devil's Highway. (That was an absolute BLAST!)

1686748528775.png

Earlier that day

I took the scenic way home, driving through the Apache Forest in New Mexico and visiting Roswell, NM. I entered Texas on Highway 380 and was headed south on 70 to get back on 20. Everything sunny and bright. As I enter a town called Rotan it begins to rain. No big deal. Then it starts to get dark and rain so hard I can barely see the front of the car, much less the road. Then the hail starts. I'm at a stop sign on the main street of town, looking for shelter, when it feels like someone bumped my car. I look out my driver side window and there is a wall of water half way up the window. A flash flood is washing through the middle of the town. The car is running so I hit the gas, the engine dies, water starts coming in and I'm sitting in water up to my waist.

1686747510556.png

Then as suddenly as it started, the water starts to go down and the sun comes out. I crawl out of the car and wade out of the pond my car is now sitting in. As I'm in the middle of town, its not long before a deputy shows up and asks if anyone was hurt. When I say I'm fine he hands me his card and says he has to run as there are several other vehicles that he has to get to. Some kind and helpful locals show up and help me push the car to higher ground. Anyways, because so many vehicles were affected, I wind up hanging out, soaked to the skin in muddy water, for over four hours waiting for a wrecker to get to me. The car eventually gets loaded on a flatbed and hauled about 75 miles to Abilene, where they dropped the car off at a dealership and me at a hotel. The insurance company totaled the car. Its now for sale as a flood salvage on Copart.

1686748391062.png

Here is what the spot where the car was flooded looks like when its not raining

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The only image I had of the car and it was just a partial. Apologies, just wanted to provide a picture, wasn't trying to fake anything. Here is the car listed on Copart
    No worries. Not going to lie, I looked at it for a few seconds before reading your post and was like "what the heck am I looking at?" :)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom