What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Been coming home from work and heading to the car port everyday for nearly 2 weeks, but my '94 Chevy is now running smooth with a new (reman) long block. Picking up a new battery for it tomorrow morning. Rebuilt the throttle body and replaced the distributor as well. Both needed it. Removed all vacuum lines except for the brake booster and MAP sensor. EGR valve deleted.

Running like a new truck.

Spring for Holly EFI, you'll never look back

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Put it on YG's truck, but would only be truly beneficial if the HP was bumped up.

I'm tracking. On the vortex. It already had throttle body injection. From what I remember, it's choice of heads and intake on the vortex that wake them up.

For $500....a LS1 can slide where the vortex was. A basic LS1 is everything that can be done to a vortex, plus some. Cross bolt mains, heat dissipating alloy, huge port heads. About a 100# lighter. And runs like a bat with 87 octane.

I have a neighbor that's into drifting cars. You'll see a Nissan 240 in his driveway. Some high winding Japanese motor? Nope, a junk yard Chevy LS1. They pull them out the trucks and stick headers on it.

They've made so many, they're cheap cheap and it's a brutal motor.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The Land Rover developed a small coolant leak a few weeks ago and I've been having trouble finding it. I decided to add some fluorescent dye to help track it down. Wherever the leak is coming from, apparently it hits the fan, as the fan is streaked with dye and under blacklight the entire front of the engine bay now looks like Starry Night.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Been coming home from work and heading to the car port everyday for nearly 2 weeks, but my '94 Chevy is now running smooth with a new (reman) long block. Picking up a new battery for it tomorrow morning. Rebuilt the throttle body and replaced the distributor as well. Both needed it. Removed all vacuum lines except for the brake booster and MAP sensor. EGR valve deleted.

Running like a new truck.

I have a friend who is a mechanic. He said the Vortec motors put in Chevys from 00-04 were maybe the best ever made. He said they used the best parts, and rarely malfunction. He offered to buy my 02 Tahoe. He told me I should keep it forever, as it will likely run up to 500K miles.

I have over 300K on it now, and it runs like a bat out of hell. WHen I am on the interstate, I have to really watch my speed, or I will be going 90.

He also told me the motors after 04 have a part inside that breaks somewhere from 120-150K miles, and to avoid them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Had to concentrate on other priorities and remove upgrades from the budget.

Turns out I cranked the truck with the new motor 23 years to the day from when it rolled of the assembly line. Kinda cool I think.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have a friend who is a mechanic. He said the Vortec motors put in Chevys from 00-04 were maybe the best ever made. He said they used the best parts, and rarely malfunction. He offered to buy my 02 Tahoe. He told me I should keep it forever, as it will likely run up to 500K miles.

I have over 300K on it now, and it runs like a bat out of hell. WHen I am on the interstate, I have to really watch my speed, or I will be going 90.

He also told me the motors after 04 have a part inside that breaks somewhere from 120-150K miles, and to avoid them.
    What about transmissions?

I have 135K on my 2001, I still love it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    What about transmissions?

I have 135K on my 2001, I still love it.

We didn't discuss it, but I had to rebuild mine at about 250K miles. Those transmissions do have a flaw in them. THe yoke has a problem. The tranny guy told me the factory used a soft metal inside the yoke on some part. I had my tranny rebuilt in 2015, then it failed about a year later. THe guy who rebuilt the second time told me about the issue, and he was surprised my old shop didn't use the upgraded part.

With the upgraded part, he said it should last through the remaining life of the car.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    changed the battery in my wife's car. 3rd Interstate in 2 years... so I returned it to Costco and got my money back (this one was dated 04/17).

I started thinking how weird, I miss the old Costco batteries, even though they all come from Johnson Control.

Anyways, put in a new EverStart Maxx or whatever from WalMart - main reason is for warranty purposes, WalMarts are 24/7 and everywhere....

Well as I pulled away from Costco... BAM! Atlernator light lights up LMAO.
    Head to WalMart and buy a new battery tender (i miss my old $20 shumachers, gave them to the lady that bought my old powerwheels) and ordered up a new OE alt. off ebay for $125.... sometimes being a deal seeker means waiting lol.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    running interstates in my F250 as well. They started dying winter 2015 at about 12 mos old
    replaced 04/16 and have recently seen the alt light for a few seconds.

Will probably replace them with EverStarts also, just for accessibility, and eventually upgrade the alt with something massive lol.

still need some trans solenoids and pan, a dual steering stabilizer, and install the front sway bar bushings.... Poor truck doesn't get much love

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Didn't do anything to my truck today, but did replace the HPOP and did an EGR delete on the nieces 2003 powerstroke. Does that count for anything?

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I cleaned out the evaporator box on my Suburban, was full of 19 years' worth of pine needles and debris. Was so full that it was clogging my drain line, soaking the passenger footwell. Filled an entire vacuum cleaner canister sucking it all out.

Since I have rubber floor mats, I have no idea how long this has been going on, but I suspect for a while. Thankfully, no mold...hopefully no rust under the carpet, either.

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    In light of the recent rise in gas prices, I took out it of Sport mode, and turned on the eco function, too. Back to 27 mpg in the city, woot!

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Didn't do anything to my truck today, but did replace the HPOP and did an EGR delete on the nieces 2003 powerstroke. Does that count for anything?
    what hpop? mine was relatively new when i bulletproofed, but want to put in a terminator one day as preventative maint...

Sent from my SIG Sauer

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    what hpop? mine was relatively new when i bulletproofed, but want to put in a terminator one day as preventative maint...

Sent from my SIG Sauer

She went with the Bosch as it comes with a new case since the early models have a history of the case cracking. The T500 uses your existing case so the cracking is a possiblity. The Adrenaline was out of her budget, as was buying the Bosch and sending in for the upgrade from Terminator.

Top Bottom