Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I used to like putting on a YouTube video to play in the background, often one of those channels that reads science fiction stories. There were voice actors doing them as side projects and interesting voices kept me coming back. Then somebody figured out that text-to-speech was cheap. Amateur authors got their stories stolen and poured into those programs. Then somebody figured out that AI could write the stories, too. They're mostly terrible but no one seems to care. Now it seems like 98% of the spoken word content on YouTube is AI generated stories read by computers posted in a neverending stream of new channels that are, I am convinced, put up by another layer of computer programs without any human oversight.

And you can't trust any memes made from photos anymore. They're all manipulated or entirely generated by AI.

In what little ways is AI tech making your life less fun?

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    For me, I have to deal with a bunch of C-suite MBA morons that drank a semi-truck full of the AI kool-aid and want to smear every little IT project with the AI feces, so they can impress investors and shareholders. Almost all of it is a complete waste.

And let's be honest, what is called AI is really just very advance algorithmic calculations. Everything is based on trained models. What does that mean.. AI is just finding new and disgusting ways to combine information it has been fed to spew out "new" content, or entertainment or information (all of that typed with heavy sarcasm). The only upside is that as AI digests more and more of it's own generate crap it's quality will continue to degrade, with accelerating entropy. Like an inbred clone of a clone of an imbred... its will continue to distort itself.

The sad part is.. people will continue to sing the praises of generative AI.

So.. I can't really say how AI has impacted me in a small way, because it not been a small impact at all. I'll avoid talking about all the nastiness it's introduced into the art and craft of photography, painting, and music.

I just hope it kills itself before it kills us.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I am in the process of evaluating the use of MS Copilot to conduct open-source research, and so far the results have been interesting. It's better than using standard search engines such as Google.

As my old boss used to say, “Answers are easy, it’s getting the question right that’s difficult!” is really applicable when using AI!

Much like the reception of the automobile, there will be those who still want their horses. That's fine, but the world moves on...

Speaking of which, this is Copilot's answer to how was the first automobile was perceived by the public...

"The first automobiles were met with a mix of skepticism, curiosity, and excitement. When Karl Benz introduced his Patent-Motorwagen in 1886, many people were intrigued by the new technology, but others were doubtful about its practicality and safety1.

In the United States, early automobiles were often seen as novelties or toys for the wealthy. Many people couldn’t imagine a machine replacing the reliable horse. Some even ridiculed the idea, calling it impractical and dangerous.

However, as automobiles became more reliable and affordable, public perception began to shift. By the early 1900s, cars were increasingly seen as a symbol of progress and modernity. They offered unprecedented mobility and freedom, which gradually won over the skeptics."

Yeah, this is very rudimentary at this point, but the machine learning process also incorporates the human in the loop which is probably the weakest link when it comes to processing large loads of data!

But no fear, human intelligence encompasses the ability to understand and relate to the feelings of fellow humans, a capacity that AI systems struggle to emulate!

For now...

Top Bottom