• ...and so much more!
  • jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Back on topic... It hardly counts, but yesterday a double-mag holder I'd ordered from Galco arrived. I started with a leather OWB holster in tanned leather, then decided I needed the matching gun belt...and then decided I needed the matching mag holder. Good quality items, but a bit pricey for non-custom, non-barbecue rig stuff.

Plain but serviceable...

View attachment 469869
    Where did you purchase the belt? (If you don't mind sharing)

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Where did you purchase the belt? (If you don't mind sharing)

Also Galco. The one I got is this model. Every holster I had was black. So I decided to change things up and get the new OWB in tanned leather. And then the only belts I had suitable for holster support that weren't also black were nylon, like 5.11 instructor belts. So I decided I'd drop another dime and get a sturdy leather belt to match the new holster. And of course then I couldn't hang a black mag holder on the tanned leather belt.

In hindsight, my pocketbook would have been happier if I'd just stayed with black...

P.S. You never need to pay full retail for Galco stuff. Just get on their mailing list; they run discounts regularly. For example, until the end of August you can get 20% off sitewide with the code NSSF20.

Last edited:

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Also Galco. The one I got is this model. Every holster I had was black. So I decided to change things up and get the new OWB in tanned leather. And then the only belts I had suitable for holster support that weren't also black were nylon, like 5.11 instructor belts. So I decided I'd drop another dime and get a sturdy leather belt to match the new holster. And of course then I couldn't hang a black mag holder on the tanned leather belt.

In hindsight, my pocketbook would have been happier if I'd just stayed with black...

P.S. You never need to pay full retail for Galco stuff. Just get on their mailing list; they run discounts regularly. For example, until the end of August you can get 20% off sitewide with the code NSSF20.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Picked up some leather and a sewing kit for my first ever home made holster attempt. Also picked up a tuck clip from 1791, I want it tuckable and also belt worn.

FWm7ALw.jpg

Attempting to make a holster for my ginormous 5" Walther PDP with the equally giant Streamlight TLR-9. No matter how big of a trainwreck this turns out to be I'm going to press on. We all learn through mistakes.:green:
    dVXX7k5.jpg

King76

Hmmm, I wonder…sometimes wander…
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 29, 2021
    Brenham
    Picked up some leather and a sewing kit for my first ever home made holster attempt. Also picked up a tuck clip from 1791, I want it tuckable and also belt worn.

FWm7ALw.jpg

Attempting to make a holster for my ginormous 5" Walther PDP with the equally giant Streamlight TLR-9. No matter how big of a trainwreck this turns out to be I'm going to press on. We all learn through mistakes.:green:
    dVXX7k5.jpg
    Awesome, keep us apprised with progress and pics of final product. I always wanted to delve into a little leatherwork….

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Well my holster project is done. I learned a lot from this process and I'll be making another now that I know what needs to be done.

Lessons learned.

1. Don't double saddle stitch, a normal saddle stitch is more than strong enough. Doubling stitching makes for a very messy look.

2. A few more tools needed. Need a stitch template and work clamp, some stamps would be nice too.

3. Leather should have been a little thicker, will have to shop around. The thick stuff seems to be uncommon or I'm not looking in the right places.

They don't make holsters in leather for this combo so making my own was the only choice. Don't really like those plastic holsters, they're hard on the gun finish.

06Q79HA.jpg

Not the prettiest but the design is sound, it does what I want it to do. You can clearly see where I doubled the saddle stitch which resulted in a messy look. Also didn't like the thread color, will use black or white next time.
    uXoc0KU.jpg

m4wxOuT.jpg

It accepts a standard gun belt for hip carry. I also added a flap to keep the optic from digging into me when carrying inside the waistband.
    HM9hPZ3.jpg

It's surprisingly comfortable when carried inside the waistband.
    Q0t8Cf2.jpg

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Awesome, keep us apprised with progress and pics of final product. I always wanted to delve into a little leatherwork….
    It was far easier than I thought, if I can do it you can do it. I just watched a few videos on YouTube and then went after it. The tools I bought on Amazon, just cheap imported stuff but it worked just fine. Learning to saddle stitch was the only tricky part, I finally got it through my thick head after watching the videos and experimenting.

Top Bottom