• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lastshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    OK OK, I have to chime in here, cus they are all leading you down the AR path .. and that path is broad and wide and littered with empty wallets. I suggest you look carefully at rugers mini 14 or mini 30. the 14 can be had at a reasonable cost, fires the .223. I personally like the ranch rifle version. They are a lot of after market suff for them too. BUT since I am a 1911 fan, You can never go wrong with a good 1911. AND, you dont have to spend $4000 for a les baer. But in reality, you may want a deer rifle, or a target gun, maybe a nice rimfire, do you hunt or varment? a good hog gun would be nice and is multifunctional, AR's tend to be a go to the range and shoot gun.
    Texas SOT

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    You could build 2 good 1911's with that money. Or you could get a good gun that you will use the hell out of for 500 and use the rest to buy a decent reloading set-up. I love 1911's, don't really care for AR's but to each their own. I'm not against them.
    I do agree with Lastshot on the mini's. If you're on gunbroker, look up the seller Phoenix_distributors they sell police trade in's and confiscated firearms of all sorts.
    And it's a long shot, but if you get that NRA membership and have a CHL, make a trip on your next vacation to the CMP warehouse in Alabama and pick yourself up a nice m1 garand.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I haven't seen many mini 14's that are much cheaper than your basic AR, which can be had for 750 pretty easily.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Wal-mart ( whenever you can find one that is still allowed to carry firearms) carries the standard ranch rifle for $600 new, you can find them on gunbroker for around 450 + 50 for transfer and shipping.
    Academy also carries them for $599, they may not have one on hand but if you ask the salesman if he can locate one for you, they can. And if it's too far away, put on your friendliest smile and ask if they can have it transferred in. It's no cost to them, if the salesman say's no. Ask a manager, policy is that if there is a customer that wants to buy the rifle, they just send an e-mail to the dispatcher who arranges the transfer, the whole ordeal takes about 4 days.

deputy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    TX
    invest in reloading so you can keep shooting what you got........we might be hitting another long dry spell in ammo in the future.......

and i shudder to think what ammo costs are gonna be if another run is made............

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    An AR is going to be the most versatile rifle you can get... Decent AR15 for $600: CMMG Bargain Bin
    You can do quite a bit with 5.56, but if you want more punch you can get a 6.8 upper later, or even a 7.62x39 upper with that floats your boat. You can also go the other way and get a .22lr conversion for cheap plinking.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Better yet, get yourself all the paper work figured out and buy an A.O.W. shotgun. Then let the rest of us know how to get one as well.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Oh - and Wolfie....NRA MEMBERSHIP!!! Ya just screwed up, boyo - an' it just hit me - you were talkin' about not having the $$$ for membership - I expect you to be a card-carryin' member by the end of the week. I'll even let ya by with a GOA membership - but one of the two! You can join NRA online, or at Dietz!!

was going to sign up online tommorow, but if you can sign up at dietz, ill just kill two brids with one stone and get a year membership there as well.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    You leave them brids alone youngster!

hah. funny you should mention that. i jsut scored a free single shot .410 and a few boxes of shells.
    going to do some grackle control first chance i get.

i'll have a thread on that later.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Forget all the girly men telling you you have to have an AR. They will probably also tell you you have to have 26 rails, 3 flashlights, 5 lasers, and some sort of super special holo sight as well.
    Become a real man and purchase a CETME or FAL, your choice, and shoot the hell out of it with open sights.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Step 1: Get money in cash.
    Step 2: Get $200 more and bring entire $1,000 to Buda and purchase the converted Saiga hanging out on the wall.
    Step 3: Go to Wal-Mart and buy 200 rounds of cheap target loads.
    Step 4: Charge friends 50 cents a shot to shoot converted Saiga.
    Step 5: Repeat steps 3 and 4 until Saiga has paid for itself.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Forget all the girly men telling you you have to have an AR. They will probably also tell you you have to have 26 rails, 3 flashlights, 5 lasers, and some sort of super special holo sight as well.
    Become a real man and purchase a CETME or FAL, your choice, and shoot the hell out of it with open sights.
    +1 for that.

Top Bottom