• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    What should i get for around 750-800 bucks?
    i come up for paid vacation enxt month, and am jsut going to sell it back right away basically getting a week of double time. so im going to have some extra money to play with.

im thinking AR or shotgun.
    ive got some time to decide, but am having trouble making up my mind.
    sooo many choices...
    id appreciate suggestions for items in that price range.

whatdya think?
    i might just end up walking around a SAXET show, with a pocket full of folding money....
    but i atleast like to have an idea of what im looking for, or atleast make myself look liek i know what im looking for ;)

OO or maybe a couple keltecs!
    :confused:

no... maybe...
    Target Sports

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    AR!!

If you don't already own one, this might be a good time to pick up an AR. Gun prices have started to normal up, and it doesn't look like there's an assualt bill slipping through congress anytime soon, but buying an AR, stocking up on extra magazines and a good supply of ammo will make short work of your vacation money. And if things get worse (if they can get any worse under this administration) you'll already have your AR. Most models of shotguns are much easier to find.

The RRA entry model AR is a nice little carbine to spend your hard earned money on!!!

TooManyChoices!?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Texas
    You asked the right person (Too Many Choices!? Lol) !

If you want a new gun to shoot that's fun, and can serve for personal protection, get a Saiga 12 semi-shotgun.
    I disagree with the AR as an investment only because now every one and their mother has, or makes one. Smith & Wesson makes an AR for gods sake!

If you want an investment, the Saiga is only going up in price seemingly, and IF(big if) a ban comes around again, an overly evil looking semi-auto shotgun with all the evil features, most certainly will make that list.

If you get the AR and trick it out as most do(eotech, or aimpoint, light, or laser, quad rail, or free float tube), you are definitely into converted Saiga 12 money then. Or you could buy an AR lower and build your own for a little less.
    I'd get the Saiga, and put away 50 bucks a week towards a conversion. What am I talking about? That IS what I'm doing
    lol!!

Conversely, you could do the same with an AR, but I'm biased as I already have two:)!!

PS- Base line Saiga right now~ $600, One 12rnd mag ~ 40, AR-15 complete lower ~ 250(probably cheaper haven't shopped in a while); giving gun fearing retards cold sweats as you exercise your 2nd Amendment right and become a member of the Evil Black Rifle, AND Shotgun Club........ Priceless !!!

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    AR's all the way! I grabbed 2 a few months back when prices started to get better. Anything else would depend on what you have or don't have in your collection already maybe a nice precision bolt rifle or a 1911 if you dont have one. THe 1911 is next on my list, but I dont think I'm going to get all crazy with it right off.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What will you get the most use out of & how expensive will it be to feed?

Unlike others, I never shoot my ARs or Shotguns, but shoot pistols 2-3 times a week.

EDIT: GSXR....I have a P30s .40 on order, lol.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    well my calibers i have right now are as follows, .22 lr (1 rifle / one pistol) .30-06 (1 rifle) and 9mm (one psitol / one rifle)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'd go for an AR. . .

Or maybe get some reloading grear if you had the itch.

Yeah, .223 is still expensive, but I bet it will come down. . . . . and you could always reload it.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    If you don't have an AR, I'd go that way. Y can get a resonable quality AR in your price range, that can be upgraded down the line. About the only 1911's in the $700 - $800 range that I would consider are Springfields (I'd get the Loaded) or Kimbers. There are others for less money, just not one's I personally would buy. Others of course will disagree.

If it were me "I" might think about a Sig P229E2, an HK P30 or maybe a SA XDM. Or maybe a lever gun in a hot pistol caliber.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You need a Sig... or possibly a CZ. Also, I think it's some kind of rule that you can't be an American gun enthusiast until you have an AR15 and a 1911, so look at those as well :)

sjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    carrollton,texas
    It all depends on what you want the gun for.Then once you decide on that,then you can think about which gun to get.Take it a step at a time.Just my .02. sj

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I'd set up a basic "arsenal," if you haven't already. It should consist of (IMHO) your carry weapon and your backup, plus a duplicate of each (off-the-books FTF), a quality AR with quality red dot or holographic (no magnification) optics, a shotgun (I prefer pump to autoloader) and possibly an AK configured like your AR. Everything else is gravy.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I have this weird feeling that many insurance polices carry an annotation not covering firearms that were lost in a boating accident. . . .

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Man! There sure are alot of boat owners that carry their gun collections with them!! Lol! I guess you never can tell where pirates will strike though. ROFL!!

Too Many Choices!?

Yeah pirates struck me .. and my gun safe was so damn heavy it went straight to the bottom... 1000 feet deep.. landed face down on the door.. Nothing could be done.. :(

Anyway Wolf.. Go with the ar-15. I might get yelled at but check out CMMG's Bargin bin rifles.. They are cheap and there are multiple write ups about the guns.. people are getting rifles with properly staked carriers, and so on... Check the reviews and decide for yourself. Bargain Bin Rifles are back! 16" M4's for $599.95 for a limited time. - AR15.COM . you can debate all day about ar's and their weakness and MIL-SPEC... blah blah not good enough. I can tell you that most of the lower end rifles I have used out of the box even with some of the ar no no's .. like a carrier that is NOT even staked.. have fired first time every time for me. If you use bad ammo you can have problems.. Find what your guns eats and stick with it. Maintain it.. and unless you know what you are doing don't break it all the way down and mess with pins/springs/etc.

We shot my friends $2500 sbr build this whole past weekend.. BEST PARTS in the industry you can buy.. Adam arms piston kit, DD rail, Mur 1 upper, BCM gunfighter charging handle, titanium firing pin.. KNS anti walk pins in the lower. POF LOWER.. you name it all the bells and whistles and the upper was assembled by a very repeatable shop here in Austin... It short stroked on all but the HOTTEST military loads.. I don't know about yall but I want an AR that you can pick wolf up off the ground and have it run.... Just my opinion coming from a limited non military ar-15 background... but using most of the standard guns on the market "dpms,rra,bushy,colt,model 1, cmmg,spikes".

Edit* check that link and go down to the bottom of the first post.. there it has the website link to the bargain bin rifles. Just a thought but you might be able to get a gun and get some accessories or potentially a backup carry with some of the money you make.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Oh - and Wolfie....NRA MEMBERSHIP!!! Ya just screwed up, boyo - an' it just hit me - you were talkin' about not having the $$$ for membership - I expect you to be a card-carryin' member by the end of the week. I'll even let ya by with a GOA membership - but one of the two! You can join NRA online, or at Dietz!!

Top Bottom