What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coon

Changing from glory to glory
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    It's all gone.
    30-06
    35 remington
    30-30
    300 savage

Except for the 300 sav it was all offered several times on ammo&accessories page and Brass exchange page.
    OK, I figured as much the way your post read, but I thought I'd ask. I guess I should check those pages, so it's on me.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Still working on trying to find a hunting load for my Christiansen MPR in .308. Maybe I’m spoiled by loading 6.5 creedmoor and 6mm creedmoor the last couple years, but .308 is killing me! I should be happy with MOA, and maybe I would be, if I could get it consistently, but as soon as I find a load that looks promising, I’ll load up 15-20 and shoot some groups, and end up with a 1.5”-2” average. Loaded up some 178 ELD-X over Varget, and seated them long (about .025 off the lands) hoping to see some improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Well, here’s the good and the bad. The good? Shot my best 5 shot group I think I’ve ever had. Shooting Berger 115 VLD hunting bullets out of my 6 creedmoor, 5 shot group measured just over .2”. It could have been an 8 shot group, because after I shot the 5, I thought maybe I was seeing things, and had actually been missing the target completely. Took 3 shots on the target under it and stacked those 3 in damn near the same hole again! Decided that load was ok, and moved on to my nemesis, the .308. Seating depth did nothing to shrink my groups. Shot 2 five shot groups, average of both was just over 1”. Numbers were great. 178 ELDX out of a 16” barrel had an average velocity of 2483 for 10 shots, with an extreme spread of 12.5 and an SD of 3.8. Think I’m just going to accept that 1” groups are what this rifle wants to shoot right now. I sure had higher hopes for this rifle, but not sure what else I can do.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Why are you dead set on heavy bullets?
    If you haven't already try some standard 150s and see what happens.

When I first got the rifle I took it to their range to test some factory loads, and the only round that produced a sub moa group was the Federal Match using the 175 SMK. I really thought my best shot at a really accurate hunting load was gonna be with the 178 ELDX, so I ordered 300. But I was just setting on the porch, and thinking the same thing, about going with something lighter. Gonna go through my .30 cal bullets and see what I have on hand. I know I have some tried and true 150 Interlocks and some older copper GMX bullets in 165 grain, I think.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    When I first got the rifle I took it to their range to test some factory loads, and the only round that produced a sub moa group was the Federal Match using the 175 SMK. I really thought my best shot at a really accurate hunting load was gonna be with the 178 ELDX, so I ordered 300. But I was just setting on the porch, and thinking the same thing, about going with something lighter. Gonna go through my .30 cal bullets and see what I have on hand. I know I have some tried and true 150 Interlocks and some older copper GMX bullets in 165 grain, I think.

The first .308 I built was based on a Mauser action, got a Douglas barrel, optima trigger and put it all together in a nice Choate stock. Got a few boxes of factory ammo in weights from 150-180 gn offerings from Federal, Winchester & Remington.

I tried all the heavier stuff first and was very disappointed with the results. Looked like shotgun patterns instead of grouping.

I was about to give up on it when I tried the 150 grain corelokt stuff and was surprised to see a really nice group. Next I tried a handload using a 150 gn Nosler BT & Varget, put the first 3 shots into the same hole.

Even though the barrel is a 1&10 twist it just doesn’t like anything over 165 gn, it shoots those with Varget about an inch and a half or more.

But I’ve not run across anything in Texas or Arizona I couldn’t zap drt with a 150 grain bullet outta it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom