Hurley's Gold

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I ordered 500pcs pmc OF brass last night. Under 98$ total, tax shipping and all. It will be several hours of work but it will be nice to pump out 500 SMKs. Also eyeballing some nickel OF federal brass. Figured it's the easiest way to designate for bolt rifle only loads. I got some nasty case head swipes/extractor marks well below max charges a while back but hate to load down so I'm hoping I find some nickel at a decent price.
    Target Sports

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Emptied out some brass today. Just testing some reloads. 45/70 in the trapdoor carbine.
    The 300 blk out tracer loads...the tracer compound did not ignite. Not sure why, will look into that.
    44-40 Schofield, hits dead on, so those loads are good!
    20240126_145121.jpg

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    Shot a few reloads through my Hawes Western Marshal in .256. I mentioned this gun a while back. As I mentioned, I bought this revolver really cheap, mainly to get the scope for my contender. It came with about 300 rounds (reloads) I know it can be a little risky shooting someone else's reloads, but it was some comfort in knowing that they were made for this gun.

Long story short, I am glad the scope is good. I think I am giving up on the revolver. Too many issues. Light primer strikes, cylinder sticking, cases sticking in cylinder AND poor accuracy. I have too many good options and accuracy with my Contender. The Hawes revolver is a neat story, but I really need to get back to reloading and shooting my contender in 7TCU and 7X30 waters.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Test fired some more 45-70 rounds in the trapdoor carbine. These were 29 gr. 5744 with the 390 gr hollow base bullets.
    6 shots. All touching. Iron sights and old eyes mostly to blame.
    Need to figure out how to move the rear sight just a little bit left to get in the center.
    20240128_115626.jpg

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I just primed 50 new Norma brass pcs for the 280 Remington. I've never treated myself to any new high end brass. Nice to see perfect necks that measure out exactly as my sized brass. Tight primer pockets,etc. I see cloverleafs in my near future!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Prepped a couple of hundred 45Colt and 38spl cases.
    Lubed and sized some .44 cast bullets.
    Cleaned up some.
    Tossed a few misc things into the Big Box of Goes Trade Meet stuff.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have some test rounds with TAC, BLC2 and 175gr SMKs. I'll post some results or start a thread after I shoot them. I confirmed with Alliant that they're still making RL15 which was excellent in the past. But they said they can't control how it's sold after vendors add it to inventory. I'm also going to try AA4064 and a few others in the near future.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    How does that combo group for you Mills? I've debated on buying some lighter bullets but for a nickel more I buy SMKs. I got some obvious case head swipes with mid range charges in my AR10. I'm trying BLC2 now at lower charges to see if I can eliminate them.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Went to the range yesterday to test out some 6.5 creedmoor loads using the Midwest powder I bought from American Reloading. Only data I had was the recommended load on the front of the jug, so I started a couple grains lighter to be safe. Had some Barnes 140 grain and 145 grain match burner bullets that hadn’t shot real well out of my rifle so I used them. Turns out that the load data on the jug should have been a starting load. None of the groups were great, and the ES and SD numbers were all over the place, but as I got to the max load, the groups tightened up, as well as the velocity numbers. Last groups I shot with both bullets were just under an inch. Have plenty of powder and bullets to test with, so I have an excuse to go back to the range again next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    How does that combo group for you Mills? I've debated on buying some lighter bullets but for a nickel more I buy SMKs. I got some obvious case head swipes with mid range charges in my AR10. I'm trying BLC2 now at lower charges to see if I can eliminate them.
    The blc2 works great for the lighter bullets.
    I happen to have a copious stash of blc2 and Hornady 150s.
    Btw, Those are 308 federal brass, not 7.62x51.

Last edited:

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I was inspired and made 10 ea at 45.5 and 45.8gr with some Sierra 150s I have. Also FC brass, set off with CCI std LR. Really hoping to squeeze in a range session tomorrow and break in a new chronograph. Also doing some comparison testing with magnum primers and a few other powders.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Been working on a big ol' bag of 30-30 brass that arrived a couple of days ago.
    Approx. 250 of them.
    Resizng, deprime, tumbling, trimming, etc.
    Just about got'er done. Last batch is in the tumbler now. Just have to length check/trim them.
    All the others are primed and ready to go.
    Also prepped out 120rds of 38Spl.

Last edited:

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    Sorted out lead clip-on.wheel weights to make into ingots. Melted, fluxed, and poured into 1-1/2 and 8.5 lbs molds. Made about 100 lbs of clean lead. Hardness ranging from 11 on some and 13 on others. Today I will probably tackle the stick-ons and other leads. Might even get around to loading some more 450 Bushmaster too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom