Venture Surplus ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlieBonz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After modifying my Lee Pro Pot IV, I hadda try it out, so, using Lee Mold #90303 in .358, 158gr, RF...
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• Lee mold#90303 158gr RF .358.jpg
      Lee mold#90303 158gr RF .358.jpg
      413.1 KB · Views: 36
    • Lee mold#90303 158gr RF .358b.jpg
      Lee mold#90303 158gr RF .358b.jpg
      137.8 KB · Views: 33

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I agree. However, being the cheapskate that I am...:roflsmile:
    I hear that. Hence reloading and casting my own.

I load large batches though and that 6 cavity drops about 4 to 5 times more bullets per session than others. We'll worth it. I still have some 2 cavity for some low volume stuff like the 450bm.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

cav2108541

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2023
    Killeen, TX
    What did you do today reloading wise?

Me?
    Rolled, glued, filled, and hot lube dipped 47 paper cartridges for a .54 Sharps.
    View attachment 121123
    I discovered a clear spray-on coating for 5.7x28 brass. Called Permalac. https://permalac.com/product/permalac-original-clearcoat-satin-spray/ having the ability to re-apply the original coating means that I can anneal the cases if I want to, and I can re-coat the cases that have had their original coating worn off. I could even wet tumble the brass now if I wanted to. I'm really pleased. The coating is essential to prevent galling of the small diameter cases in large capacity magazines.

Reactions: rp-

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Question for the board.

I bought some Star 308 brass and tried to insert a bullet by hand into one. It’s super tight.

I remember reading somewhere that Star suggests belling the mouth to accept bullets.

Does anyone do this? How do you do it? I have Lee dies and it would seem another die would be used to bell the mouth other the full length resized.

I feel like I’m having a brain fart. Help out…

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Lee universal flare die. But check the ID of the neck, maybe smaller than 0.305 that gives proper neck tension..

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Question for the board.

I bought some Star 308 brass and tried to insert a bullet by hand into one. It’s super tight.

I remember reading somewhere that Star suggests belling the mouth to accept bullets.

Does anyone do this? How do you do it? I have Lee dies and it would seem another die would be used to bell the mouth other the full length resized.

Lyman m-die is the way to go. I use it on 223 with flat base bullets. It's a really great tool to have.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Question for the board.

I will have to look and see if any of mine are Star 308, but I used the Lee Pacesetter dies and haven’t had an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Maybe use a neck sizing die. Nice to have good neck tension but if it's shaving bullets, no bueno. I'm on the hunt for decent O F 308 brass and I'm considering several vendors. A few tumble deprime and neck size but I think they will inevitably need full length sizing to bump shoulders back.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I recently bought 200 new 308 brass from Star. Very tight. I forgot about the powder through expanding die. I’ll do that.

Thanks guys

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    A while back, I came across some ww2 MG linked ammo...not in any condition to be fired but ok for components. Every 5th round was a tracer. The balance was AP. So I cleaned some up and loaded some 300 blkout. Going to try some tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MTA

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    A while back, I came across some ww2 MG linked ammo...not in any condition to be fired but ok for components. Every 5th round was a tracer. The balance was AP. So I cleaned some up and loaded some 300 blkout. Going to try some tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk
    Good timing. Right after a rain is the perfect time to fire off tracers. Years ago a member of our deer camp decided to fire some 308 tracers he picked up at a swap meet. They worked well. Middle of July, shooting at a tank dam. An errant round landed in the cat tails. Cleaned out the tule and cat tail patch right down to the waterline.

Top Bottom