What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Was looking for 40sw cases to prime, found a jug of primed 308 & another of 30/30 under the bench - trimmed and primed some 308 & loaded 165 SP in them last week, thinking I had no processed 308 cases. Need to look under the bench more often.
    Hurley's Gold

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    Loaded my first 5 38 special today using a Lee loader for now till I get some dies. First 3 look kinda sloppy and crimp I think is a little tight but they fit just fine.
    1686794251444.jpeg

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Loaded some 44-40. But I have a different question... I'm tired of cleaning the brass after I polish it. Walnut shell does a great job cleaning and polishing the outside, but the inside is still nasty with polish dust. Anyone here use a sonic cleaner they really like? Me thinks it's time to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Loaded some 44-40. But I have a different question... I'm tired of cleaning the brass after I polish it. Walnut shell does a great job cleaning and polishing the outside, but the inside is still nasty with polish dust. Anyone here use a sonic cleaner they really like? Me thinks it's time to upgrade.

I used to cut a 1" strip of a dryer sheet and stick it in the tumbler. It would cut down the dust a lot.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Neck turned 100 pcs of brass for my 25 Creedmoor and loaded up some Berger 135gr test loads for it, as well as loaded 100 80gr ELD-M's for my custom 223 bolt action. Then I loaded up 50 162gr ELD-X's for my 7mm-08.

Going to go do some shooting tomorrow morning with a friend before it heats up!

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    Been using a Lee turret press fir several decades.
    That’s good to know it definitely feels like a good instrument the only thing I for see issues with is the plastic grommet I see at the bottom of the spindle.
    The auto disc drum kit it came with was hot trash also I used the one from the progressive for it.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    The auto disc and auto drum are vastly different pieces of equipment. I have good results with the auto disc when loading pistol rounds. I also have the adjustable charge bar with it instead of the normal disc's.

The auto drum is a finicky bitch and I hate it. I use it when loading 223 on the progressive but I visually watch the dial turn to verify it drops powder on each round.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I use both types of Lee progressive loaders.
    2 -1000's and 1 auto press that rotates the die head instead of the shell plate. Also use 2 lee single stage for priming. I use the auto disc but with some powders you can't fine tune the throw. No experience with the "auto-drum" heard too many complaints about them.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Any issues with it? My single stage is great for hunting rounds but making me want to jump off a cliff when it comes to bulk reloading
    Most of my loading is rifle rounds. No issues. Usually 40-100 at a time. I have the old Auto-Disk powder charge system, and I like it better than the newer ones, but only use it on the pistol rounds. I have a Hornady powder dispenser for rifle rounds. But yeah, its not made for cranking out 500 at a time. Would love to have a Dillon for pistol rounds, but won't spend that kind of cash, at least I have not. But with ammo prices so much higher I have considered it.

The turret press is nice because you can set your dies, then store them in the round Lee die case, and leave them on the shell plate. Which means you don't have to adjust your dies every single time you load. Just drop the shell plate for the caliber you are loading, and off you go.

I generally prime while watching TV with the hand Auto Prime. I like not being glued to my bench for that part. Then I do the powder with the Hornady dispenser, then use the press to set the bullet and crimp.

That’s good to know it definitely feels like a good instrument the only thing I for see issues with is the plastic grommet I see at the bottom of the spindle.
    The auto disc drum kit it came with was hot trash also I used the one from the progressive for it.

All my stuff is older, and honestly a buddy has a new system of the same press, but I like mine better. Pretty much all of it is metal.

But the Auto disk is much better IMO. Its accurate enough for pistol rounds.

ETA - the Lee page showing the disk / powder charge isn't always correct. So I use the one they say, then weigh the charge. Sometimes I go the next one up or down, and repeat the charge / weigh process until I get to the powder charge I want, or very close to it. It takes 3-5 handle pulls to get a consistent charge weight. So I usually do 3 dumps into 3 cases, then dump them back into the powder bin. Then weigh the next 2-3 to make sure its consistent. When I get to a charge weight I am happy with I start loading.

Last edited:

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    Most of my loading is rifle rounds. No issues. Usually 40-100 at a time. I have the old Auto-Disk powder charge system, and I like it better than the newer ones, but only use it on the pistol rounds. I have a Hornady powder dispenser for rifle rounds. But yeah, its not made for cranking out 500 at a time. Would love to have a Dillon for pistol rounds, but won't spend that kind of cash, at least I have not. But with ammo prices so much higher I have considered it.

All my stuff is older, and honestly a buddy has a new system of the same press, but I like mine better. Pretty much all of it is metal.

But the Auto disk is much better IMO. Its accurate enough for pistol rounds.
    Agree 100% the auto disc is the way to go mines consist 3.4-3.5. This is the one I hated it leaked, didn’t get a full charge after messing with the drum for an hour.
    Heck it someone locally wants it I’ll give it to them.

Attachments

• IMG_1935.png
      IMG_1935.png
      657.6 KB · Views: 32

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Now you boys with the auto disc, if you strip out the plastic in the hopper when you change out the disc, don't throw it away! Mix up some 2 part epoxy and use a tooth pick to work it in to the stripped out hole. Let it dry completely. Then use a small drill bit and put a pilot hole in for the screw. The epoxy is stronger than the original plastic.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Got tired of caveman reloading bought a Lee turret press an dies got some done today for this weekend. It’s not fancy but it suites me just fine.

Love my Lee turret press! I have turrets for all my handgun rounds, so switching between calibers is simple. Also have a couple for rifle rounds. I take out the index rod, and can use it like a single stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom