• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Curious to know what cartridges you prefer and production rifles you had good results with.

I will be selling my howa1500 in 6.5x55 Swede. In researching my rifles struggle with accuracy I believe the problem is too much freebore. It’s just fine for hunting accuracy on medium game but I want more out of it. The fix seems to be more expensive 155 grain production loads or reload. I’m not set up to reload anymore. I want to go back to a common round. Obviously this will be post Coronavirus panic.

A few directions I’m considering:
    6.5 Grendel
    6.5 cm :mad:
    7mm-08
    25-06

Manufacturing wise I have no clue. Maybe I’ll just go back to a ruger american. Never tried savage. Never tried tikka. Maybe I’ll go back to howa. Love how easy the bolt comes apart for cleaning.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    For various uses I have found very accurate combinations with factory Savage actions and my hand loads with

.233 Rem
    .204 Ruger

The .204 was quarter size holes out of the box with Honrady factory ammo.
    At first I struggled with hand loads getting there but but I was able to get smaller groups many with one ragged hole.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Hard to beat a .308 or .243 if you are looking for the more common rounds. 25-06 is a decent round but not very common. I can't really comment on the best bolt rifle. I only have one, a Rem 788 in .243 that I bought circa 1979. If I were in the market for a new one, I would definitely look at Savage. Ideally, find a pre-64 Winchester model 70.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’m sitting on a 22-250 project. 22-250 more than enough gun for Texas hunting? Thoughts?

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Although not a common round, I really like my .257 Weatherby in a Weatherby Vanguard. The thing is deadly accurate with factory ammo. Of course ammo is a bit spendy at $49 per box.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Although not a common round, I really like my .257 Weatherby in a Weatherby Vanguard. The thing is deadly accurate with factory ammo. Of course ammo is a bit spendy at $49 per box.
    Looked at one. Keep in mind it’s from the same company that is branded howa. As for 257 Weatherby I have always been interested. Price per round is high.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Looked at one. Keep in mind it’s from the same company that is branded howa. As for 257 Weatherby I have always been interested. Price per round is high.
    Yes it is. However it is deal on accurate, at least for me in hunting mode, and pretty low recoil. The Vanguard line is not a howa, but just another in the under $500 market. And they are finally moving out of California.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Yes it is. However it is deal on accurate, at least for me in hunting mode, and pretty low recoil. The Vanguard line is not a howa, but just another in the under $500 market. And they are finally moving out of California.
    Is howa no longer producing the barrels and actions?

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Weatherby is out of Cali. in Sheridan, WY now. Have a 270 wby mag that had trouble chambering rounds and sent it to them for inspection. They re-bored the chamber and cleaned it all up...shoots great now! They are a little pricey, but great rifles with excellent customer service. The 257 wby is one I have wanted to get for a while...thinking a Ruger No. 1 :)

Top Bottom