• ...and so much more!
  • jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Reading a lot of positive reviews on the axis II.
    I had one. The HB Predator with Accutrigger. My shoulder doesn't like that much recoil so I sold it and went with .224 Valkyrie. The 6.5 Creedmoor shot 1/2 MOA with out of the box with factory ammo. For an entry level rifle they are hard to beat even by more expensive rifles.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Although not a common round, I really like my .257 Weatherby in a Weatherby Vanguard. The thing is deadly accurate with factory ammo. Of course ammo is a bit spendy at $49 per box.

I thought the same thing until I got my dads weatherby in 7mm weatherby mag. That’s pricey ammo. But I feel you even at that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldscot3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    central texas
    Since factory ammo is specified and accuracy is desired, I would say first choice is 6.5 Creedmoor, only edging out 308 because of its effectiveness on medium game with less recoil. Third choice is 708, another very fine and effective round, again with less recoil than 308 but not as popular as it used to be.

243 is another great round, but trails the three above IMO with regard to pure killing power on medium game. Let me be clear, I am not saying 243 isn't a good deer round, I'm just saying the three above are better in my experience.

BTW I've used all four of these rounds to take hill country white tail over the course of the last forty years.

oldscot3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    central texas
    quote: I will be selling my howa1500 in 6.5x55 Swede. In researching my rifles struggle with accuracy I believe the problem is too much freebore.

Probably so. To my knowledge 6.5 swede chambers are cut to allow loooong 160 grain round nose pills. It's hard to get a light spitzer anywhere near the lands. If you're lucky you might eventually find a load that doesn't mind a bunch of jump.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Love it or hate it, the 6.5 Creedmoor is kinda the go to round for a lot of precision rifles now. This is for good reason.

I have had decent accuracy out of my 6.5 Grendel budget AR. With a better barrel in a bolt action, I feel that this round could really do well.

243 is always a winner, and 7mm-08 is supposedly quite accurate too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom