• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KaliJuan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    San Antonio
    I couldn't care less of this dude's "review", shit happens and many ranges have their own policies. Yes, I am ONE of those people that shows up there early to get a private bay, you learn from experience that it pays to be there early. In the matter of him having the rest of his group showing up late, that's on them. There are times where I have people in my group say they are going to be late, a 2 hour block is a 2 hour block, if they extend it for one group, other people will bitch and want preferential treatment as well. As for him whining about mud, sorry bud that there isn't a caddy on hand to scrap the mud off your shoes while you shoot, cowboy the eff up and quit your crying. As for them being short staffed, why doesn't he take on the job and apply, I hear they are looking for people.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I don't have a dog in this fight either and live too far away to do business with The Bullet Hole.

I wasn't there and don't know what really happened but I did read the response by Steven C. I highly resent that he would join our group, respond to the OP with post number ONE, then fade out of sight. He's still at post number ONE and apparently has no interest in being part of the TGT forum. I have a problem with that and he can go F himself. His post did a LOT to persuade me that there was some rude and uncaring customer service behavior directed toward this customer.

Flash

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    FWIW, expect the owner or her daughter to be by sometime later to present their side of things....it's an interesting counterpoint, and pretty much about what I expected. It's their story to tell, so I'll leave it to them to do so. Just seems odd to me how we'll go after a local range based on a 3rd-party report from someone we don't really know anything about.

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    I've shot there about ten times in the 18 months I've lived in San Antonio - never had any major problems. It can get a little busy, and the line to get in can get a little long, but I've -never- spent more than 15-20 minutes waiting. They even had reasonably-priced 9mm ammo last Tuesday.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    FWIW, expect the owner or her daughter to be by sometime later to present their side of things....it's an interesting counterpoint, and pretty much about what I expected. It's their story to tell, so I'll leave it to them to do so. Just seems odd to me how we'll go after a local range based on a 3rd-party report from someone we don't really know anything about.

i posted the article, but ill still go there. i like the place and its friendly. i do however not like that the main shop is ALWAYS packed (but that is a good thing).

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    I've shot at the bullethole before and don't mind it. I like the bays, don't like the pistol line. Point is some days are better then others, on both sides of the coin.

People get to say whatever they feel like. Maybe the Author exaggerated but Steve C did no favors to the range with his heated comeback.

KaliJuan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    San Antonio
    5 or 20 - if you're coming in as a group, then come in as a group - not wander in willy-nilly, then expect folks to bend over backwards.

And M2....we get it that you're butt-hurt over they way they "mistreated" you....but let me ask you something - how much did you contribute to the shooting sports in South Texas last year? I'm not going to put out the numbers, because that's something that they should disclose if they're so inclined - but they were well into 5 figures....very well - and then some. They put their money where their mouth is. I don't care what range you go to, you can find fault in some aspect. Hell - just trying to find decent employees is a challenge - and I know for a fact that they pay about 20% more than other ranges around here.

Would you rather they close? Where would folks go to shoot then? I've always found Carol and Michele to be more than approachable - and reasonable. When they can reasonably make something better, they will. Thing is, you also have to realize that they have to deal with a wide variety of folks as well - from knowledgeable to idiots, reasonable to jackasses. You'll never please everyone in the public, no matter how hard you try.

The guy that started the whining on TTAG....strikes me as one of those that expects everything HIS way and never gives a thought to the other side of the coin. And if he WAS 2nd in line and this guy supposedly cut in, then he should've said something rather than sitting back like some wimp and expecting everyone else to do it for him.

Well said TRN, and I recall a resident Dead Horse beater here asking me about their private bays so that they could take a friend to shoot. Seriously Mike, I left this place for a few months and come back to see nothing has changed, someone bad mouths the BH and THERE YOU ARE, still beating that Dead Horse. If you will, please show us these "Quality" ranges you speak of, do they have private bays that you can rent for two hours, not be bothered by anyone, move and shoot and work transitions, and oh yeah - a range that open to the Public. Can't think of one here in the SA area can you? That's cause there is no other one. Comeon man, I have had bad run in's with other ranges, do I wear it as a badge to begrudge anyone about it? Hell No. Had my issues with Bracken, Cedar Ridge and others and I still go to them once in awhile, it comes with the territory.

All of you THINK for a moment of the job that is involved, you have a place that is open ALMOST every single day of the year, you are around a mix of people that either know what the hell they are doing, OR asshats that just bought a gun and think they are the next Lethal Weapon, OR someone that has LITTLE EFFIN Regard for safety and thinks it would be cute to take a cellphone picture with a pistol to their head while at the range (YES,THAT EFFING HAPPENED with someone at one of these ranges) and you, as a person that works there is responsible for these people and their safety, so you have all that and a paycheck that is okay but I wouldn't say that it's gonna bump your tax bracket up or for that matter worth all the BS that you get from people, not to mention those that don't follow safety rules and those that have no problem muzzle flashing you every 2 seconds. With that kind of element effecting you, do you think for a second that people that work at Ranges in general are always going to be warm and fluffy 24/7? If you think that should be the case, I have some beach front property to sell yall in New Mexico.

People are gonna be hard at times at these places, you can either Cowboy the Eff up and move along with it or cry in your beer and look the lesser. At the moment, there's still ammo for our guns, mags for AK's and even PMags for sale at the BH, and guess what? They aren't price gouging, the prices I saw there were STILL reasonable.

The horse is dead - quit beating it and move on . . .

Last edited:

In-Yo-Grill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Texas
    Bullet Hole is marginal at best. I've seen them come along way in the past ten years but there is still a ton of room for improvement.

People can make a bad experience seem decent but when they are real pricks it makes an outing miserable.

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    StevenC, you make a few valid points here but also seem to have additional information or are making assumptions. I see that you signed up today and used your first post to respond to this thread. In the interest of full disclosure can you tell us how, if at all, you are affiliated with this range?

Be happy to oblige. I had forgot I posted a counter-point to blog and had not checked back until just now.

I am a long time shooter at the Bullet Hole (about 10 years) who has run the leagues the range hosted in unpaid positions in the past.

That league morphed into the USPSA club where I am now one of two match directors who agree to be certain matches are held according to the range owners' stipulations (such as no steel on bay 8 to prevent ricochets from damaging cars in the parking lot).

I am contracted to teach classes at the Bullet Hole. I do a pretty good job and enjoy a closer relationship with the range than the other instructors who also use the range. I know the range staff well.

I am about as close to being an employee who receives a W2 without being an employee. I am an administrator of the forum but that resulted from taking over the MD position and the club uses the forum to coordinate matches and the generally run the club. The range owners bought all of the clubs props at significant cost. One could not say the range does not support competitive shooting.

I would describe myself simply as a decade long shooter at the range who makes sure San Antonio has a third USPSA match each month who has taken taking to teaching some classes and enjoys the respect and friendship of the range owners. I do not speak for the range nor would I defend something I disagreed with. Then again I don't have to. I can remain silent on those issues.

The respect is mutual. The Hesters are avid 2A supports who are monstrous supporters of the NRA and are doing a fantastic job providing a safe place to shoot. They are building a new office to alleviate crowding and congestion. It's right next to the office it is to replace and standing in line to enter the range one can literally lean against it or enjoy its shade. It will be nicer when it is in operation. The owners also plan to replace the classroom with a matching structure which I know I will enjoy teaching in it.

I joined to defend the range I enjoy but by no means consider perfect. The demand for the ranges services has outgrown their current environs. They are working to meet those demands.

filmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    San Antonio area
    The BulletHole is the first and only range I have been to since becoming active in the shooting sport a few months ago. Yeppers, a real noobie-that's me. Us in fact. My wife and son have joined me on all the trips to the range and we have had a great experience each time. The folks at the BH have been safety-minded, easy to get along with, helpful, and friendly. All attributes that contributed to our purchase of an annual membership.
    It does indeed get muddy there-just like my yard. It's also hot, windy and crowded, but that's just the way things are here. Do I love the handgun firing line-not all the time, but we really like the private bays and when we have a little extra cash-that's where we go. Otherwise we just stand at the line like everyone else. (I've met some great folks standing next to me in the pistol range.)
    San Antonio is NOT a morning town-at all. The best way to avoid getting stuck in the crowd-anywhere in town-is to get there early. It works at Sam's, Costco, WalMart AND the BulletHole. As far as Nick and TTAG. Sounds like Nick had a bad day. It happens to me too. I like his posts and read them often. This one struck me as a little bit unusual since the other posts I've read didn't come across like this at all. At least not to me. Just my 2 cents.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Every time someone complains about a range being muddy, a puppy dies. Stop this travesty!

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I have not shot at Bullethole in several years, but was a regular there when I lived in SA. Still have my range card numbered under 200, just in case. Totally enjoyed my time there and always felt I was being treated well. Not only do I know the Hestors, I also know and respect Steve. Just my nickels worth due to inflation.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    kiss-ass.jpg

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    I don't have a dog in this fight either and live too far away to do business with The Bullet Hole.

I wasn't there and don't know what really happened but I did read the response by Steven C. I highly resent that he would join our group, respond to the OP with post number ONE, then fade out of sight. He's still at post number ONE and apparently has no interest in being part of the TGT forum. I have a problem with that and he can go F himself. His post did a LOT to persuade me that there was some rude and uncaring customer service behavior directed toward this customer.

Flash

Sorry my post upset you. But, can I avoid F'ing myself, please?

If you care to discuss the logic of how my non-office-staff self being upset about the range getting nuked in no way leads credence to the TTAG blog I am happy to discuss it

Top Bottom