• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    If you can't weld, just make the holes in the target square, then use carriage bolts and attach the chains to the end of a 3" bolt to achieve the same downward angle.

e61eafbb42005be508ca0e4712518f6a.jpg

Thanks men good idea's
    Best/joe
    Guns International

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Looks like you're gettin' all the ingredients together, I just need to know when to start listening for the dinner bell.

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna give up on the pic deal /to small to see what you are posting and then it gets loaded upside down ect.
    Anyway no big deal just a few targets I have added, with more to come.
    best/joe

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Nice job. Nice range.

one suggestion, if you ever use those for pistol or rifle at closer than 100 yards, you will want to angle the face of the target slightly down for the bullet to deflect downward.

I learned this the hard way. Now all of my steel targets have a slight tilt downward to prevent a bullet or jacket from coming back.

I was shot in the shoulder last year with a jacket from a 30.06 a guy was shooting next to me at a steel gong at 50 plus yards.
    It came almost straight back and tagged me pretty hard and drove the jacket into my skin and I had to yank it out, because it was HOT.

What I do is fasten my hanging chains a couple of inches down from the top of the target and it causes them to angle slightly down.

I like your frame design, is that sucker rod?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Nice job. Nice range.

one suggestion, if you ever use those for pistol or rifle at closer than 100 yards, you will want to angle the face of the target slightly down for the bullet to deflect downward.

I learned this the hard way. Now all of my steel targets have a slight tilt downward to prevent a bullet or jacket from coming back.

I was shot in the shoulder last year with a jacket from a 30.06 a guy was shooting next to me at a steel gong at 50 plus yards.
    It came almost straight back and tagged me pretty hard and drove the jacket into my skin and I had to yank it out, because it was HOT.

What I do is fasten my hanging chains a couple of inches down from the top of the target and it causes them to angle slightly down.

You missed the posts where this was already addressed, illustrations and directions included. LOL

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I know. ;)

Seriously though, that's pretty damn scary. Were those targets AR500 steel?

no, they were just heavy mild steel scrap from a welding shop

I will never forget the sound it made coming at me. It was headed for my throat area and I tried to do a drop to avoid it, and it nailed me in my left shoulder.

I just pays to be safe when shooting steel

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    Nice job. Nice range.

I like your frame design, is that sucker rod?
    No it's not sucker rod, thinking about this if I do some others or have some done I will use sucker rod.
    i got a set of cow pens built out of used oil field pipe and sucker rod, good stuff.
    Best/joe

picker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2014
    TX Hill Country
    but I had to tell me story of being shot.:green:

Yeah, I got lotsa distance between me and targets plus they swing so it takes some of the momentum out of the bullets.
    That getting shot crap is for the birds, when I work the S Texas place along the Rio Grande, those damn meskins like to shoot at me from the mexican side, with 22's one got lucky once and hit me in the leg, still carry that scar.
    Best/picker

Top Bottom